The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Blue Jackets acquire Ivan Provorov; Flyers acquire Cal Petersen, Sean Walker, Helge Grans, 2023 1st-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick, conditional 2024 2nd-round pick; Kings acquire Kevin Connauton, Hayden Hodgson

57 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Still on the team isn't he?

But I'd trade Miller because he won't be very good by the time the Canucks are competing for a cup.

Whether Columbus is closer or not doesn't really matter as much as, does Columbus management think they are close.?

If so they  might do it, if not they won't.

Yes- gone at the end of next year, not during the year. Or unlikely to be gone during the year.

2 are on ltir, and Pearson is extremely unlikely to be healthy, yet the team has to plan for both to be back, just in case.

you originally named 5 people to be gone, we might see 1, or if really lucky, 2 gone.

youre a glass half empty kind of guy arent you? 

Wager? I named 5 people, youre position is 2 will be gone if were lucky, ill take the over with atleast 3 gone by end of this upcoming season. $250? $500? $1000? 

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Still on the team isn't he?

But I'd trade Miller because he won't be very good by the time the Canucks are competing for a cup.

Whether Columbus is closer or not doesn't really matter as much as, does Columbus management think they are close.?

If so they  might do it, if not they won't.

Yes- gone at the end of next year, not during the year. Or unlikely to be gone during the year.

2 are on ltir, and Pearson is extremely unlikely to be healthy, yet the team has to plan for both to be back, just in case.

you originally named 5 people to be gone, we might see 1, or if really lucky, 2 gone.

Well of course he's still on the team, how else are we including him in this unrealistic proposal for the 3rd OA. 

So youd trade Miller because he wont be very good by the time Canucks are competing for the cup but a less talented team and one that was worse than the Canucks this year are going to consider Miller becuase? They are ready to compete next season? So what you are saying is CLB is likely ready to compete next season but the Canucks aresnt despite CLB not having a 1c or 1g. Makes a lot of sense. 

Well yes, i thought that was implied that Pearson and Poolman are on LTIR, unlikely to play this coming season and then off the books. Beauvillier will be traded at the deadline. Its unlikely Myers will still be  part of this club at the start of the season. 

Edited by Seannnp
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Seannnp said:

youre a glass half empty kind of guy arent you? 

Wager? I named 5 people, youre position is 2 will be gone if were lucky, ill take the over with atleast 3 gone by end of this upcoming season. $250? $500? $1000? 

I don't bet.

Also- I see a professional, whenever I need a mental outlook opinion, so save your diagnosis.

13 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's pretty obvious that given they've signed Johnny Gaudreau to a sweet deal and Laine is going to be with them for at least a couple more years, and then all the talk about Babcock being pushed into the locker room, that their goal is to win and to win now.  CBJ's history is that they've never really signed any blue chip UFA (JG excluded) or extended any blue chip pending UFA  (excluding maybe Boone Jenner and/or Zach Werenski) for their team, so I would say it's not a prime destination where UFAs are crashing down the doors to go sign a contract at.

Consequently, they need to find players that have term who are performing at or above their contract level (or who show potential to perform above their contract) by trading for proven RFAs or long-contract UFAs who still have significant term left in order to squeeze performance from the team.  Miller is one such player who has term, who has overperformed his last contract and has demonstrated he's able to perform at next year's contract level.  CBJ's management clearly thinks their window is opening now (otherwise, they wouldn't have traded for Provorov and brought in Babcock), so Miller's term (at least the next 4 years) dovetails nicely with that timeline.  After that, if he's still serviceable, then there's no need to find an out for him; if he starts slowing down, then at least they have a means to trade his contract away. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if LouLam decides to attempt to jettison BoHo in the direction of the CBJ management if he truly thought the deal to extend him really stinks, while he still can before the new contract (and its NTC) kicks in.  They don't have their 1st Round Pick this draft, which is where they're at a disadvantage against the Canucks and our potential trade offer.

So yes, if I were CBJ's management, I would totally be interested in discussing a trade possibility centred around the 3OA for Miller and the 11OA (plus bits and pieces to even things out).  It would fit the win-now m.o, and they're unlikely to attract a player like him through normal UFA channels.

You make some good points. I still believe that 1-3 OA are not in play, nor should they be. I also dont think its the appropriate time for CLB to pushing all in with Miller. At the TDL or the offseason makes more sense. The entire upcoming season has nothing but question marks for them given where they finished in the standings. I dont believe that Babcock and Provorov turn them into an automatic playoff or cup contender. However, 2024 off season, if i were JK Id be going after Schiefele, or offer sheet to Sebastain Aho and keeping that 3rd rounder. If they are in fact that close at the end of next season, they wont mind giving up 4 1sts for Aho, especially when Carolina has shown they dont have an appetite to sign big contracts. I dont think anyone including CLB front office think they are a shoe in for the playoffs or able to contend for a cup. I think they are headed in the right direction and the hiring of Bab and Prov are a wait and see. Imagine giving up 3OA for Miller and 11th and then Prov stinks it up and Babcock loses the room in 6 months. JK would be out of a job. 

Simply put I believe that the 3rd OA is a pipe dream. If its at all possible, I would do probably pull the trigger and go after Schiefele myself in the offseason. However, I just dont think you trade the chance to draft Fantili who will be ready to go as early as next season or Carlsson who could be ready to step in next year, or d+2. 

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Miller will no longer be available after June 30th.  His new contract has a NMC, and good f**king luck getting him to waive it to be traded to Columbus (or anywhere else), so their time to act would be now, and the only trade chip CBJ has worth discussing in a trade is the 3OA.

The same would be true even if they didn't trade the 3OA and Provorov still stunk it up and Babcock loses the room.  He's taking a gamble right now, and his gamble is to try to make it to the playoffs and go far in the playoffs.  Getting Miller increases his team's chances of making the playoffs, but I suspect if he fails regardless of trading for Miller or not, he's probably on the next flight out of Columbus with his freshly issued pink slip.

Miller

11th OA

for

Peeke 

Johnston/Sillinger

34th OA?

Worth a discussion, no? 

Thats a huge gamble to take trading 3OA without knowing the uncertainties of Provorov and Babcock. Still think it makes no sense to trade it for Miller. I think a larger package might work with several moving pieces or atleast would be intriguing (see below). Lets just agree to disagree.

Also thank you for actually providing substance to your thoughts and engaging in an actual dialogue. 

Miller 

Demko

Garland

11th OA

for

Peeke

Johnston

34th OA

Jack Roslovic

1st in 2024 (top 5 protected)

21 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

No, because as @Coconuts indicated in his Proposals thread, the 'nucks braintrust were adamant about 2 1st round picks as approximate value of Miller.  We're trading 3 1st round pick equivalents for a couple of 2nd rounders and a mid-first who is floundering, or a former top 5 pick C/LW who is still below 0.5 ppg after his first 88 games (2 seasons) and can't win a faceoff to save his life?  Not gonna happen.

913.gif

Miller is not going to fetch 2 first rounders heading into an 8m per long term contract. Not with the cap situation as it is. 

Who is floundering? Johnson? Peeke? Players look alot worse on bad teams. I think Peeke would be an absolute stud playing alongside Hughes. If it makes it closer in value if it were Sillinger, that could be okay as well. 

Garland is as good as gone in my opinion. 

I love Demko and I think hes a top 10 goalie in the league when hes healthy, but his longevity may be a concern. 

Im good with keeping Miller and Demko and moving Garland only but some ppl feel that Miller isnt needed and the contract will not age well. 

This is not something I want to do, just an idea to see how many ppl on board with it or something similar.