The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rapper Ja Rule is interested in buying a minority share of the Vancouver Canucks

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I hate to break it to you but Nickelback night is happening.:ph34r:

Good! I like Nickelback. :lol:

The only reason I can figure for disliking the band is for being far too successful. Over 50 million albums sold and in 2009 Billboard named them the best rock band of the decade. That both surprised me and didn't. They must have been doing something right.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The only reason I can figure for disliking the band is for being far too successful. Over 50 million albums sold and in 2009 Billboard named them the best rock band of the decade. That both surprised me and didn't. They must have been doing something right.

They're from Alberta.:ph34r:

(and to long lost CDC poster Ryan Strome....I'm joking :P)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

The only reason

boring, derivative, uncreative, vapid, musically uninspired, recycled meathead rock and a frontman who is a tremendous douchebag. those are my reasons. 

On 6/23/2023 at 8:07 PM, tas said:

boring, derivative, uncreative, vapid, musically uninspired, recycled meathead rock and a frontman who is a tremendous douchebag. those are my reasons. 

And yet incredibly popular. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/23/2023 at 6:41 PM, Baggins said:

My reason, and others, is that they are a band that came together not with music as their main goal, but money.  And it shows.  They studied what made songs sell from the top 40 playlist.  What the most commercially successful hit rock songs had in common that made people buy those records. The actual construction into things like the most popular chord progressions etc... And then crafted songs that  fit  into the  corporate rock sound that would be attractive to producers running rock music radio stations. And get them air play.  Lowest common denominator sound = a greater audience = lots of $. Back when radio was still the main stage for musicians.  This is why many, not all, of their songs sound similar to one another.

Perhaps they have evolved and actually gotten better or more unique musically, I have no idea, but the means and ways they rose to popularity just doesn't work for me.  And their music  is reflective  in their  strategy, its redundant pablum made for newbies to rock music, or people who require music isn't too challenging, just safe predictable songs they can tap their foot to. Which is fine, whatever rocks your boat.  But to me they are more of a mock band than rock band.

Edited by kilgore
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kilgore said:

My reason, and others, is that they are a band that came together not with music as their main goal, but money.  And it shows.  They studied what made songs sell from the top 40 playlist.  What the most commercially successful hit rock songs had in common that made people buy those records. The actual construction into things like the most popular chord progressions etc... And then crafted songs that  fit  into the  corporate rock sound that would be attractive to producers running rock music radio stations. And get them air play.  Back when radio was still the main stage for musicians.  This is why many, not all, of their songs sound similar to one another.

Perhaps they have evolved and actually gotten better or more unique musically, I have no idea, but the means and ways they rose to popularity just doesn't work for me.  And their music  is reflective  in their  strategy, its redundant pablum made for newbies to rock music, or people who require music isn't too challenging, just safe predictable songs they can tap their foot to. Which is fine, whatever rocks your boat.  But to me they are more of a mock band than rock band.

Too commercial blah blah blah, too mainstream blah blah blah. This is the same old same old I've heard for decades. Quite terrible when bands make music people actually enjoy listening to and do it consistently for many years. It's that last part that is important. If it were actually as easy as you make out far more bands would easily have over a decade of high success. Ever hear the term "one hit wonder". There's also one album wonders. To have success album after ablum for a long period does take talent and good song writing ability.

Btw, I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I'm no "newbie" to any type of music and my musical taste runs from clasical to folk and blues, to pop and rock. The only thing I'm entrenched in is actually enjoying what I listen too. I prefer music, regardless of genre, that's simply enjoyable to listen to. But here's the thing, if you view this music as appealing to the masses, what do you think the majority of a wide variety of people at a hockey game are likely to enjoy during breaks in play? 

On 6/23/2023 at 8:07 PM, tas said:

Y'ever see Nickelback in concert?  It's a pretty rockin' show, lots of fire etc. I don't get the hate for them. There's way crappier music on the radio these days. 

32 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Y'ever see Nickelback in concert?  It's a pretty rockin' show, lots of fire etc. I don't get the hate for them. There's way crappier music on the radio these days. 

I don't go to the monster trucks or MMA, either. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tas said:

it that's how we're measuring quality we've got big problems. 

Quality is subjective to the individual listener. They can't really cater to the individual though. When it comes to music for a widely mixed audience is popular not better overall than niche? It's not really about your taste or mine, it's about what most attending will enjoy. Blues would certainly appeal to me, but I doubt the majority would love it. Metal would certainly appeal to some, but I doubt it would appeal to the majority. The simple truth is the DJ will never be able to please everybody. 

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Quality is subjective to the individual listener. They can't really cater to the individual though. When it comes to music for a widely mixed audience is popular not better overall than niche? It's not really about your taste or mine, it's about what most attending will enjoy. Blues would certainly appeal to me, but I doubt the majority would love it. Metal would certainly appeal to some, but I doubt it would appeal to the majority. The simple truth is the DJ will never be able to please everybody. 

you're right, McDonald's is better than fine dining. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

Btw, I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I'm no "newbie" to any type of music and my musical taste runs from clasical to folk and blues, to pop and rock. 

Hey there's no need to drag me into the conversation Baggins.:mad::angry::frantic:

:P

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Now this is the original KISS (not the current version) but a band like Rush said they learned alot from them in the early days (skip to about the 45 second mark):