The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teams will not wear specialty jerseys in warmups next season

Rate this topic

14 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I gotta wonder how guys like Boeser feel about this. The guy was deeply upset that he may not be able to wear the cancer jersey for his old man when he was nearly scratched that game. Wearing that jersey, on that night, clearly meant the world to him. Now no one will be wearing jerseys to support those who have passed or are battling cancer because a small handful of guys decided they didn't want to wear a rainbow.

I'm guessing he'll be all right.  Not having the night (or just not the warmup jerseys) is different from having the night and he's the one singled out to not play and get to wear the jersey.

Just like any social issues...the teams are picking and choosing what diseases to fight.  Some never have a night at all so cancer is doing pretty well to have a night with or without a warmup jersey.

36 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm guessing he'll be all right.  Not having the night (or just not the warmup jerseys) is different from having the night and he's the one singled out to not play and get to wear the jersey.

Just like any social issues...the teams are picking and choosing what diseases to fight.  Some never have a night at all so cancer is doing pretty well to have a night with or without a warmup jersey.

https://www.nhl.com/community/hockey-fights-cancer/about

According to this every team had a cancer night. Which teams never had a night at all this year?

• Cheers 1

Just now, MeanSeanBean said:

https://www.nhl.com/community/hockey-fights-cancer/about

According to this every team had a cancer night. Which teams never had a night at all this year?

I meant some diseases don't get a night.  If cancer has a fundraising night just without the warmup jerseys...it's still getting better treatment than ALS or cystic fibrosis or Alzheimers or whatever diseases might have no night at all.

I'm all for this kind of stuff but they are already picking and choosing.  And we were all okay before there were warmup jerseys.  We'll all be okay if they end up going back to hockey without them.

15 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I meant some diseases don't get a night.  If cancer has a fundraising night just without the warmup jerseys...it's still getting better treatment than ALS or cystic fibrosis or Alzheimers or whatever diseases might have no night at all.

I'm all for this kind of stuff but they are already picking and choosing.  And we were all okay before there were warmup jerseys.  We'll all be okay if they end up going back to hockey without them.

Oh I see, I misinterpreted. So if you're all for this kind of stuff, would you prefer that every disease and cause gets its own night instead of canceling it all together? That way cancer, which is only the second leading cause of death in North America, isn't getting special treatment. That way money and awareness could be raised for Heart Disease (the leading cause of death), ALS, Parkinsons, while still having time to support our community with Indigenous, Black history, Lunar, Pride. We technically have 41 home games, isn't that 41 opportunities to do good?

Personally I think that's a great idea. Seems like a ton of work, which is why I assume they only pick certain things, but I'd love if every opportunity to do good was seized.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Pears said:

Name me one legitimate reason why I was wrong. 

I’m hesitant to respond at all because that particular post was just so stupid. But OK… this had nothing to do with “Grandpas being afraid of rainbows” …

This is a business decision from the NHL, nothing more. 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Oh I see, I misinterpreted. So if you're all for this kind of stuff, would you prefer that every disease and cause gets its own night instead of canceling it all together? That way cancer, which is only the second leading cause of death in North America, isn't getting special treatment. That way money and awareness could be raised for Heart Disease (the leading cause of death), ALS, Parkinsons, while still having time to support our community with Indigenous, Black history, Lunar, Pride. We technically have 41 home games, isn't that 41 opportunities to do good?

Personally I think that's a great idea. Seems like a ton of work, which is why I assume they only pick certain things, but I'd love if every opportunity to do good was seized.

Honestly I'm fine with whatever and not bothered by any of it really.  If they want to devote a night to any given disease...hey, better than not trying to raise money for it.  If they don't however...so be it, they never had to.  If they want to support some other social cause...fine with me.  If someone on the team doesn't want to wear a given jersey...also fine with me.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Honestly I'm fine with whatever and not bothered by any of it really.  If they want to devote a night to any given disease...hey, better than not trying to raise money for it.  If they don't however...so be it, they never had to.  If they want to support some other social cause...fine with me.  If someone on the team doesn't want to wear a given jersey...also fine with me.

Right on, there's something we can agree on. I sincerely hope Canucks don't abandon these nights all together. Just because the vocal minority made a decision, I hope that doesn't effect all the good that these nights did. That would be very disappointing. 

Edited by MeanSeanBean

5 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Right on, there's something we can agree on. I sincerely hope Canucks don't abandon these nights all together. Just because the vocal minority made a decision, I hope that doesn't effect all the good that these nights did. That would be very disappointing. 

From what I can tell it's just the warmup jerseys isn't it?

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

From what I can tell it's just the warmup jerseys isn't it?

From what I can tell it's just the on ice part. But auctioning those jerseys is where a large chunk of money came from. Hopefully they'll wear them in practice and then auction them off on themed nights. But I could definitely see some nights around the league being done away with all together because of this decision, which would be a shame.

9 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

It's amazing to watch someone get proven completely wrong about something and cling onto whatever is you are just to feel vindicated.  You went from saying something innocently ignorant to just sounding like a willfully ignorant bigot.  Even a rock could understand my point better than you.

Go ahead.  Enjoy watching those gambling ads all over the jerseys.  Not as if gambling ever destroyed families.  Sorry those pride jerseys did anything to hurt society.

And of coarse he doesnt have a response, typical pathetic troll

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2
  • RoughGame 1

On 6/23/2023 at 2:00 PM, Bob.Loblaw said:

The Lions don't do themed warmup jerseys (I dont think the NFL does either), but the Whitecaps and the MLS do.  Hell, the NBA and MLB have full games in themed jerseys.  There is no standard but the trend is obvious - specialty jerseys sell.

Dana White is the reason the UFC rose in popularity and also the reason it's stagnated.  Turns out it's a bad idea to treat your fighters like garbage and only pay them $10K for a fight.  Some of those heartbreaking interviews where the winner gets to put food on the table?  He thought that was a good look for the sport.  The UFC has zero star power and zero fighter autonomy and that's exactly what Dana wants.  Thankfully the NHL doesn't dictate things that harshly with the NHLPA.

The MLB and NBA have city edition jerseys but they aren’t specific themed to celebrate anything. It’s pretty much the equivalent to NHL reverse retro/alternate jersey. 

Manfred has also been under fire recently by encouraging players not wear Pride themed jersey during pregame to protect other players from not participating in Pride night. 

On 6/23/2023 at 2:24 PM, bishopshodan said:

It might be in poor taste. However, one of the worlds best comedy troupe's bread and butter, Monty Python, was mocking this subject. They actually helped me growing up realise how it all shouldn't be taken too seriously as it is made up. Not based in anything, at all. Fantasy. Not something to fear, other than some of the followers I suppose. 

I think people need to be open to discussion and try not to be so offended.

For example, I just mentioned this the other day, I have beliefs that are actually based on science. Reality.  I get mocked by many because I am a compassionate vegetarian. As in, even though I think it is a healthier diet, I do it because some animals that people eat are sentient. I don't get offended by the 'mmmm bacon' jokes. It revolts me as I always think it could be 'mmmm toddlers' for the reason that pigs feel, think, and are aware at the level of a 3 years old. Still, I'm part of this society so I wont just shut them down, or cancel their opinions over some jokes.

If you're making jokes like Monty Python does, that's fine. Anything should be on the table from a comedic standpoint. It just becomes poor taste when there's no punchline and it's mocking for no good reason.

I definitely agree with the second statement. We've seen this be the case in the Provorov/Reimer threads, among other sensitive threads. It's understandable that it can be an emotionally charging topic for many... but it's unfortunate that there usually isn't much effort put into listening to the other side.

You'll always have people making those comments, so it seems you're handling it the best way possible. I'm sure there are others who would snap at every comment -- a much harder path in life to take.

• Cheers 1

On 6/22/2023 at 5:20 PM, Master Mind said:

This is a direct consequence to people directing so much hate towards the players... which is exactly what I said would happen.

That's a strange take.   Hockey "isn't for everyone" after all.   Burke must be pissed.   They are trying to change their image, and don't think a few players should control that attempt.   In reality it's not a sport for everyone.   Poor families have a hard time getting more than maybe one of their kids into it.   If that.   Need money for gas, equipment etc, and usually that means more trips to the food bank.    From a middle class family with five kids, three boys in three years...it for sure was a barrier to entry for my folks.   Soccer, baseball and basketball ... not exactly expensive sports in comparison.    Or require near the commitment from parents.  

Things are better now, programs to help some people play hockey.  Or subsidize it, but it's still a burden for lower class families, making the sport rightly deserve its somewhat entitled reputation.   

It's not inclusive really.   Also agree with Burke not that he tries and explain this anymore to people, Jesus was as inclusive as it gets, and nowhere in the second testament, is anything said about it.    People shouldn't read the bible literally anyways.   Made in his own image, women coming from Adams 13th rib?    More like make in his own image spiritually don't you think!?   Goofy stuff.   And better off not engaging, like Burke, a devout Catholic his whole life.    I've asked several folks, in their 60-70's what they think about this, who've  been following Jesus since they were kids.   Not one was against the idea of inclusions in hockey.    

Trumpdroids.  Ignorance.    Wish the NHL did keep this platform,  and instead sent a memo out that anyone who won't participate, to not make a public statement about and just wait in the locker room.    Another missed opportunity for progress and fight the good fight against ignorance, and the negativity it breeds.   Catholic church finally got exposed in the mid 2010's for hiding and shuffling around hundreds of pedophile priests in the US.   That was only the US.  Over 6% of their priests were raping boys.   For hundreds of years...and spent millions trying to hide it from the press with a platoon of the best lawyers money could buy.   Tried so hard to hide it.    For a couple thousand years now, the main Christian church, in the most evil and disgusting way, has created a country club for pedophiles because of their literal interpretation of "married" to god.   With all the negative press over being the main part of scrubbing out a system of living that had so much integrity and things the world needs today (sustainable thinking),  you'd think maybe some of these "devout" athletes would step up like Burke has and be supportive.    There is no room in the holy trinity, for bigotry. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/22/2023 at 6:37 PM, Dr. Crossbar said:

There are so many ways to keep the campaigns and specialty nights going. It doesn't hinge on a jersey. They can still sell them. 

I don't think anyone should be forced to do anything. That usually doesn't end well. 

It's cowardice.   Personally feel they should let the teams decide what ones they want to do, and amend the CBA in a way that anyone's religion or put in harms way (as could be the case for some Russian athlete's families), just sit it out without any press release which is what creates the attention anyways.  

These games offer certain groups a game to circle on the calender.    And do a lot of good.   Personally love it when a military family is acknowledged, and have seen some eye watering reunions (Dad coming home surprising their family).   Cancer.   Breast Cancer.   A lot of money and support comes from these sort of nights.   Does that mean Vancouver loses its Diwali night?   Too bad.   And each city has its own flavour to how they do their support nights.     Do think they should keep politics and religion out.    But there are so many options, and having a half dozen home games a year celebrating certain things adds colour to the season.   St Patty's day in a place like Boston for example.  

Edited by IBatch

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

That's a strange take.   Hockey "isn't for everyone" after all.   Burke must be pissed.   They are trying to change their image, and don't think a few players should control that attempt.   In reality it's not a sport for everyone.   Poor families have a hard time getting more than maybe one of their kids into it.   If that.   Need money for gas, equipment etc, and usually that means more trips to the food bank.    From a middle class family with five kids, three boys in three years...it for sure was a barrier to entry for my folks.   Soccer, baseball and basketball ... not exactly expensive sports in comparison.    Or require near the commitment from parents.  

Things are better now, programs to help some people play hockey.  Or subsidize it, but it's still a burden for lower class families, making the sport rightly deserve its somewhat entitled reputation.   

It's not inclusive really.   Also agree with Burke not that he tries and explain this anymore to people, Jesus was as inclusive as it gets, and nowhere in the second testament, is anything said about it.    People shouldn't read the bible literally anyways.   Made in his own image, women coming from Adams 13th rib?    More like make in his own image spiritually don't you think!?   Goofy stuff.   And better off not engaging, like Burke, a devout Catholic his whole life.    I've asked several folks, in their 60-70's what they think about this, who've  been following Jesus since they were kids.   Not one was against the idea of inclusions in hockey.    

Trumpdroids.  Ignorance.    Wish the NHL did keep this platform,  and instead sent a memo out that anyone who won't participate, to not make a public statement about and just wait in the locker room.    Another missed opportunity for progress and fight the good fight against ignorance, and the negativity it breeds.   Catholic church finally got exposed in the mid 2010's for hiding and shuffling around hundreds of pedophile priests in the US.   That was only the US.  Over 6% of their priests were raping boys.   For hundreds of years...and spent millions trying to hide it from the press with a platoon of the best lawyers money could buy.   Tried so hard to hide it.    For a couple thousand years now, the main Christian church, in the most evil and disgusting way, has created a country club for pedophiles because of their literal interpretation of "married" to god.   With all the negative press over being the main part of scrubbing out a system of living that had so much integrity and things the world needs today (sustainable thinking),  you'd think maybe some of these "devout" athletes would step up like Burke has and be supportive.    There is no room in the holy trinity, for bigotry. 

I agree that any player who didn't participate shouldn't have been asked about it. I think the easiest solution would have been the team just saying something generic like the player had an equipment issue.

My initial post was meaning that if there wasn't so much backlash against these players, the jerseys would not have been cancelled. Everything would have continued as normal, with a small handful of players not participating.

But because people have nothing better to do than throw a fit over which jersey a millionaire athlete wears, now they're gone. They'll blame Bettman or the NHL, when they really only have themselves to blame.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I agree that any player who didn't participate shouldn't have been asked about it. I think the easiest solution would have been the team just saying something generic like the player had an equipment issue.

My initial post was meaning that if there wasn't so much backlash against these players, the jerseys would not have been cancelled. Everything would have continued as normal, with a small handful of players not participating.

But because people have nothing better to do than throw a fit over which jersey a millionaire athlete wears, now they're gone. They'll blame Bettman or the NHL, when they really only have themselves to blame.

100% 

18 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

IMy initial post was meaning that if there wasn't so much backlash against these players, the jerseys would not have been cancelled. Everything would have continued as normal, with a small handful of players not participating.

Pointing out when someone has done something wrong is how you get them to (hopefully) correct their behavior. If the players were not being homophobic to begin with, no one would have called them on it. It's no different than the amount of people (yourself included) who complain about management, coaches, refs, etc. Or do you also have the opinion that if too many people complain about a trade (for example) that the team might never make another trade for fear of backlash?

The cancellation of jerseys is 100% on Bettman and the League, because they decided they did not wish to deal with any consequences of player actions.

• Cheers 1