The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teams will not wear specialty jerseys in warmups next season

Rate this topic

57 minutes ago, Joe_Kerr said:

I completely agree with your last paragraph but your middle sentence... That's exactly what dragtime story bs is all about. If they had a Bible reading circle at the public library and a bunch of people brought their kids you would say they are indoctrinating their kids into Christianity. But a bunch of kids being read to by some guy in some burlesque outfit is totally appropriate? Then go look at the genderbread man and the gender unicorn and tell me this isn't being fed to the children 

I would not say I feel it is across the board appropriate at all, that is a decision parents can make for/with their children. I meant while someone in drag may be sitting at a library reading to children, its not like they are reading " How to be a drag queen and take over the world with perversions ".

Point is there is a lot of misunderstanding around drag even though we as a society have been exposed to it for all of mankind, can't tell me nobody watched M.A.S.H or other shows with men dressing up as women. It would be considered a lot of hard work, entertainment, performance, a form of art and did I say a ton of hard work involved. It can make you feel sexy but it is not sexual, not a perversion people have. Drag can be more risque to adult audiences say in a bar or event for grown ups aimed to entertain, can be innocent enough for children in a library or social setting or event as well. It doesn't all have to mean the same thing to all audiences. Very easy to be age specific.

Drag story times were introduced less than ten years ago in San Francisco to promote reading and diversity, the books read to children are children books not scripture or rhetoric if one is concerned. These types of readings has really taken off and again it doesn't have to be for everyone and I think parents can help children along by making decisions on including their children or not. So I don't think this is something being forced or fed to our children, I wouldn't rip someone for not being comfortable with it or not interested either though.

Not to derail things here. 

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

That is exactly the problem here. This is why people in growing numbers are growing tired of this. It simply is not enough to be respectful or to step aside while people celebrate being inclusive. Unless you are right there along with the group conforming to that expectation then you are a monster. That is pure crap.

I find a bit of humour in what I bolded. I appreciate what you and others have mentioned, name calling does not usually garner any good results. Yet I stick by my thought that we the majority of the buying public ( the real bosses,ones in control) should hold the league to the standard of product we expect. I don't know if there is a growing number of people that are getting tired of 'this' unless the 'this' means the refusal of supporting inclusion. The world is evolving and change is often hard. I know that Bud-light got cancelled and lost its top spot. New champ is Modelo...owned by Constellation Brands which ironically is known for being an award winning LGBTQ friendly company. Heck even Nascar during this backlash stepped up to do Pride. As you mention, men in drag goes back for ages. Gay peope are part of us as a society. The youth embrace the diversity. The future will be more accepting, I believe. 

It seems to me that the LGBTQ community has become the new political boogyman. I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist in this way. Every few years there is a new thing to scare  some of the public. It becomes the flavour of the month. Is it the those commies? Is it those brown skinned terrorists? the mexican in the caravans? maybe it's BLM and the Antifa mobs? is it the gay people? what about the jews, again? maybe it's the star bellied sneetches?

Feels like a divide and conquer move played by the 'powers that be'.

Ok I'll take of my tinfoil hat but i think there is something to what I mention. Someone was pointing out the same ideas in the Adults table...stating that the 1%'rs may have got real nervous during occupy wall street.

I dunno. But I do think that these convos are good inthe long run. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Vintage 3

14 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Knowing nothing of these people's lives except they chose to exercise their right and simply not take part in an event where there is immense media and public pressure to do so they have become " dirtbags ", " not behaving like respectable humans ", and of course are now " bigots ".

That is exactly the problem here. This is why people in growing numbers are growing tired of this. It simply is not enough to be respectful or to step aside while people celebrate being inclusive. Unless you are right there along with the group conforming to that expectation then you are a monster. That is pure crap.

Please don't try to use King Heffy quotes like they are the writings of multiple people.

His specialty is way over the top name calling and dirtbagging.

Thus his ire directed at the non jersey wearers; is just like his ire for anything  he posts about.

• Cheers 3

10 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I would not say I feel it is across the board appropriate at all, that is a decision parents can make for/with their children. I meant while someone in drag may be sitting at a library reading to children, its not like they are reading " How to be a drag queen and take over the world with perversions ".

Point is there is a lot of misunderstanding around drag even though we as a society have been exposed to it for all of mankind, can't tell me nobody watched M.A.S.H or other shows with men dressing up as women. It would be considered a lot of hard work, entertainment, performance, a form of art and did I say a ton of hard work involved. It can make you feel sexy but it is not sexual, not a perversion people have. Drag can be more risque to adult audiences say in a bar or event for grown ups aimed to entertain, can be innocent enough for children in a library or social setting or event as well. It doesn't all have to mean the same thing to all audiences. Very easy to be age specific.

Drag story times were introduced less than ten years ago in San Francisco to promote reading and diversity, the books read to children are children books not scripture or rhetoric if one is concerned. These types of readings has really taken off and again it doesn't have to be for everyone and I think parents can help children along by making decisions on including their children or not. So I don't think this is something being forced or fed to our children, I wouldn't rip someone for not being comfortable with it or not interested either though.

Not to derail things here. 

No its weird.

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'll tell you what is weird.

The Joker becoming a transgender hero. I didn't expect that.

Something to do with him getting pregnant. He had a mud baby.... a little Clayface type fella.

If you read that section in the comic thats not actually what happened. But yeah that would be weird

16 minutes ago, Joe_Kerr said:

If you read that section in the comic thats not actually what happened. But yeah that would be weird

Yeah. He got cursed by a witch right?

Got preggo and puked up a mud baby?

I mean, he didn't choose to be that way. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1