The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRADE] Boston trades Taylor Hall and the rights to UFA Nick Foligno to Chicago for the rights to RFA's Ian Mitchell and Alec Regula

Chicago gonna have Boston by the balls here.  Boston has no draft picks and no prospects.  Fabian Lysell, that's about it.  Ryan Mast is another.  Trent Frederic is an RFA.  Chicago could grab him and play him with Bedard.  If I was Chicago I would ask for Lysell and Frederic and then take on whatever cap dumps they want...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chicago gonna have Boston by the balls here.  Boston has no draft picks and no prospects.  Fabian Lysell, that's about it.  Ryan Mast is another.  Trent Frederic is an RFA.  Chicago could grab him and play him with Bedard.  If I was Chicago I would ask for Lysell and Frederic and then take on whatever cap dumps they want...

Boston is so far from being under the cap, have no idea what they're planning on doing here. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Chicago is looking for players not necessarily just draft picks.  

Chicago taking advantage of cap space to try to shake young players out of Boston.

God what a terrible idea.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup, Boston is gonna have to move assets they don't wanna move for pennies on the dollar.  Lysell is the only real sweetener they have... maybe a 2025 1st round pick?  Boston and Calgary are gonna get absolutely fleeced when they dump cap.  Especially Boston though.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

I think Chicago is looking for players not necessarily just draft picks.  

Chicago taking advantage of cap space to try to shake young players out of Boston.

God what a terrible idea.

Chicago is literally starting from scratch.  It could take them 5 years before they get a core as good as Vancouver.  They have Bedard and we have Petey.  They still need a Hughes, Demko, Miller, Kuzmenko, Hronek, etc...

If they were smart they would take on every bad contract possible to get young players already in the NHL.  They will be bad next year too so they can use a top 3 pick next year to get another core piece.  Trent Frederic would be the guy to shake out of Boston.  They could take Debrusk and Grzelcyk as cap dumps.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chicago is literally starting from scratch.  It could take them 5 years before they get a core as good as Vancouver.  They have Bedard and we have Petey.  They still need a Hughes, Demko, Miller, Kuzmenko, Hronek, etc...

If they were smart they would take on every bad contract possible to get young players already in the NHL.  They will be bad next year too so they can use a top 3 pick next year to get another core piece.  Trent Frederic would be the guy to shake out of Boston.  They could take Debrusk and Grzelcyk as cap dumps.

Chicago had 3 first rounders, 2 seconds and three thirds last year.  They have 11 pics this year 2 firsts, 4 seconds, 2 thirds.

they were starting from scratch.

• Upvote 1

Maybe Boston is gonna send Hall and Reilly to Chicago along with Lysell and something else for futures so Boston can extend Bertuzzi. Boston may also look to move Ullmark to say LA to clear another 5m. Maybe get Bergeron and Krejci to sign similar deals with future cap implications to have a lower cap hit for next year?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Chicago had 3 first rounders, 2 seconds and three thirds last year.  They have 11 pics this year 2 firsts, 4 seconds, 2 thirds.

they were starting from scratch.

Yes, that is true.  But you are not getting a Hughes with a late first or a second.  If they want to draft their next core, i.e. Kane and Toews, they will need top 3 picks to do that.  They will have Bedard, so they need another top 3 pick next year as well.  

With all that salary cap space, they should also focus on getting young players already drafted and/or in the NHL.  I could see them being a powerhouse in 4-5 years if they draft well and weaponize their cap space.  But that is what happens when you start right from scratch and then right away get a generational talent in the draft.  

8 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Maybe Boston is gonna send Hall and Reilly to Chicago along with Lysell and something else for futures so Boston can extend Bertuzzi. Boston may also look to move Ullmark to say LA to clear another 5m. Maybe get Bergeron and Krejci to sign similar deals with future cap implications to have a lower cap hit for next year?

Ullmark to LA makes total sense...

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Unlike our strategy for 8 years of trading picks and paying top $ and term for bottom 6 anchors

We could have been sitting pretty good right now with this approach

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ullmark to LA makes total sense...

LA has cap issues of their own + are trying to acquire Dubois which will put even more of a strain on their cap situation.  

Doesn't make much sense for Boston.  They are trying to contend now that they've extended Pastrnak.  Would they really move their starter and Vezina finalist goalie?

Edited by mll

14 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Hall has a 16 team no trade - it turns into a 10-team no trade on 1 July by which time he'll probably put a team like Chicago on the list if it wasn't already.  

He probably filed his 16-team no trade list in such a way for it to be a virtual no trade - leaving off the cap strapped teams / contenders like TBL/TOR/VGK and having on the list all the bottom teams especially those with cap room. 

6 minutes ago, mll said:

LA has cap issues of their own + are trying to acquire Dubois which will put even more of a strain on their cap situation.  

Doesn't make much sense for Boston.  They are trying to contend now that they've extended Pastrnak.  Would they really move their starter and Vezina finalist goalie?

Swayman is a very good goalie and will be a lot cheaper so yeah they really would move a Vezina finalist as they don't have much choice.

Sell high is weird concept around here I know.

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Swayman is a very good goalie and will be a lot cheaper so yeah they really would move a Vezina finalist as they don't have much choice.

Sell high is weird concept around here I know.

So why wouldn't LA acquire the much cheaper goalie instead.   Selling high when the market is cap strapped doesn't necessarily bring the best return.  

Plenty of examples where teams thought they could move from a veteran goalie and then things fall apart because it's not the same pressure being a starter vs a backup.