The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Cap, the Roster, and Where do we go from here

Rate this topic

JamesB

Another Cap-Related Move This Summer?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 7/3/2023 at 10:32 AM, EddieVedder said:

Myers is the least of our problems. We are still lacking a solid top 4.  I like soucy a lot but ideally hes a 4/5.  Ive seen ppl here pencil in 35 yr old journeyman bottom pairing cole in as a top pairing dman, which is ridiculous.  

The team needs to add another legit top 3 dman to have a shot at making the playoffs this year.

I also dont see beauvillier going anywhere.   He played excellent with petey and he showed chemistry with miller.  Hes a low maintenance, natural scorer, really good skater, with high hockey iq.  He was consistently regulary able to make plays that our other wingers couldnt.  These guys are tough to find and hard to develop. 

He also fits the age group if we are going to compete in a few yrs. 

Best case scenario for the wings is to develop the heck outta hogz and podz.  Find a way to get bb6 and garland to rack up points early, then try to get some sucker to take them. 

I like Myers too but he’s never managed to fit here save the first season with OEL where he was propped up by OEL. 

1 hour ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

What a weak Dman list,honestly shocking the lack of a plan there. Rebuild coming again soon.

Shows the level of hockey intelligence here when everyone puts pervy 35 yr old journeyman Cole on their top pairing. 

I like Soucy, but our defense does not look good right now.  

Where do we go from here now that all of the cap is used up?

And how do we improve our team if there's no increasing cap to lend us a hand?

I don't want to lose here no more
I don't want to lose another day
Ain't gonna spend the rest of my fan life
Quietly wet blanketing away.

On 7/2/2023 at 1:45 PM, JamesB said:

After spending the entire season in salary-cap purgatory, the Canucks created significant cap room by buying out OEL in mid-June.

Now, just over two weeks later, the Canucks are back in red numbers on Cap Friendly, meaning they are over the Cap.

According to Cap Friendly, the Canucks have 21 healthy NHL roster players and 3 injured NHL players (Mikheyev, Pearson, and Poolman).

Counting all 24 of those players, the Canucks are about $2.5 million over the Cap.

The "official" story is now that Mikheyev and Pearson will be ready for camp. That leaves only one guy on LTIR (Poolman). As his cap hit is 2.5 million, the Canucks could just squeak a 23 man roster under the Cap using 2.5 million of LTIR space. That group of 23 players would include only one goalie and seven D's. So they would need to swap out 2 forwards to add in a back-up goalie and an 8th D. As the backup goalies and 8th D would all be making about the NHL min, that is not a problem.

Hoglander is not included in those numbers. He is the last remaining RFA for the Canucks to sign and if he makes the big team a 3rd forward will need to be swapped out.

Assuming Pearson and Mikheyev are healthy, the following 6 guys will be competing for the final 3 forward spots: Podkolzin, Aman, PDG, Dries, Studnika, Hoglander.  My best guess is that Dries and Studnika are headed to Abby and that either Mik or Pearson starts the season on LTIR.

IF Poolman turns out to be healthy and Pearson and Mikheyev are also healthy, the Canucks would have a cap problem. But I think that is very unlikely. I suspect the Canucks could get away with having all three of those guys on LTIR to start the season if necessary.

But things are tight -- so tight that it appears no additional moves to improve the team are possible. 

In his interview after free agency opened, Allvin was asked about the rumor that the Canucks and San Jose had a agreement that San Jose would take Myers. Allvin did not give a straight answer. He said if the deal were on the table,why wouldn't it already be done. The answer is obvious. They could have a deal that San Jose will take Myers after the Canucks pay his bonus on Sept. 15. Allvin said that Myers is on the team "moving forward" but all that means is that he is on the team now as we move into the summer. It does not mean he will on the team when the season starts.

I think it would be great to have that cap room come available in September as, given the way free agency has gone so far, there will be good players available on bargain deals in September as teams try to get full 23-man rosters under the Cap.

Is anyone besides me thinking about the Cap again.

The cap again? Hard to think about the state of the team and the near future for the core and who we manage to put with them and depth, I don't think you can really do any of that without cap constraints and how we deal with them. 

ELC's will be crucial but not too bad if we do some trading and possibly take a small loss to move forward. 

Ummm idk, like retain some of Flow's cap to open up more cap and Garland can be traded for pick or prospect whatever but things will improve in the next cpl of seasons when we see depth grow on the farm and the team newbies and young guys acclimate and be ready to step up when needed.

We're ok right now but you know tweaks are coming, as long as we stick to the plan and keep and develop our picks and use them or trade them later for assets we may need at the time. 

A productive farm?? Wow wouldn't that be a switch from selling it out for how many years now exactly? Idk, like forever lol 

Meh, we'll see...  One can hope...

I gotta say I'm less than impressed with the new MGMT. People around here love this narrative that they are sunshine and rainbows. The Benning hate clouds their judgment.  

I think there are positives. I like that there are more voices now in the front office and the hiring of some more forward-thinking people in specialized roles. I'm really impressed with our pro scouting finding Kuzzmenko, Bains, Hirose, Johansen, Aman, Dakota Guiseppe. Why the hell is Lammiko in Europe that guy was a stud?? 

I'm pretty disappointed they gave Brock the contract they did instead of moving him when he had value. This is fine I've made my peace and who doesn't love Brock? What I cannot accept is that they have been unable to create a more efficient roster. 30 mill on our top 9 wingers. I understand moving these contracts isn't easy but they need to be able to find a dance partner for a lateral move for players that may not have great contracts but better balance our line up doing nothing but add wingers to an already winger heavy roster is just compounding the issue. 

Buying out OEL was short-sighted they should have waited a year and shaved 2 off the length of the buyout. The whole operation seems to lack vision. One year they pass on all the behemoth D and shut down C for a teeny winger (Difference maker) who wasn't even BPA it was obviously Kemell all day. The next year they go all in on position?? Then pepper in some obscure overages who as far as I can tell are by definition bunts at best waiver fodder. When there were difference makers still on the board. 

We've got Cole in the room now who is a known scumbag and was dumped by the Canes for being a steaming pile of human excrement. So thats great. The whole Boudreau thing was yuck. JR for good reason has finally been muzzled. Doing Steamer dirty putting him up there as a figurehead during their period of upheaval doesn't sit well. There's becoming a laundry list of red flags. I'm having a hard time getting excited about the team this year for the first time since the Keenan era. 

We are going for it this year I mean this is us all in, last gasp before we get drastically worse with big raises coming to Hronek, Pete, Millers just kicked in Kuzz got paid OEL penalty there's not enough coming off the cap for us to ice a better team than we have right now and they havn't set the dominoes up to rebuild when things get drastically worse. 

Sorry for being a debby downer Ive been through dark ages before and I'll be here through it again. This year's going to be a hell of a ride though I think they will make the playoffs and I suppose anything can happen look at MTL.