The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Cap, the Roster, and Where do we go from here

Rate this topic

JamesB

Another Cap-Related Move This Summer?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After spending the entire season in salary-cap purgatory, the Canucks created significant cap room by buying out OEL in mid-June.

Now, just over two weeks later, the Canucks are back in red numbers on Cap Friendly, meaning they are over the Cap.

According to Cap Friendly, the Canucks have 21 healthy NHL roster players and 3 injured NHL players (Mikheyev, Pearson, and Poolman).

Counting all 24 of those players, the Canucks are about $2.5 million over the Cap.

The "official" story is now that Mikheyev and Pearson will be ready for camp. That leaves only one guy on LTIR (Poolman). As his cap hit is 2.5 million, the Canucks could just squeak a 23 man roster under the Cap using 2.5 million of LTIR space. That group of 23 players would include only one goalie and seven D's. So they would need to swap out 2 forwards to add in a back-up goalie and an 8th D. As the backup goalies and 8th D would all be making about the NHL min, that is not a problem.

Hoglander is not included in those numbers. He is the last remaining RFA for the Canucks to sign and if he makes the big team a 3rd forward will need to be swapped out.

Assuming Pearson and Mikheyev are healthy, the following 6 guys will be competing for the final 3 forward spots: Podkolzin, Aman, PDG, Dries, Studnika, Hoglander.  My best guess is that Dries and Studnika are headed to Abby and that either Mik or Pearson starts the season on LTIR.

IF Poolman turns out to be healthy and Pearson and Mikheyev are also healthy, the Canucks would have a cap problem. But I think that is very unlikely. I suspect the Canucks could get away with having all three of those guys on LTIR to start the season if necessary.

But things are tight -- so tight that it appears no additional moves to improve the team are possible. 

In his interview after free agency opened, Allvin was asked about the rumor that the Canucks and San Jose had a agreement that San Jose would take Myers. Allvin did not give a straight answer. He said if the deal were on the table,why wouldn't it already be done. The answer is obvious. They could have a deal that San Jose will take Myers after the Canucks pay his bonus on Sept. 15. Allvin said that Myers is on the team "moving forward" but all that means is that he is on the team now as we move into the summer. It does not mean he will on the team when the season starts.

I think it would be great to have that cap room come available in September as, given the way free agency has gone so far, there will be good players available on bargain deals in September as teams try to get full 23-man rosters under the Cap.

Is anyone besides me thinking about the Cap again.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

If we dump Myers in October, there's no one we can immediately replace him with.  The last solid RD UFA left is Matt Dumba, and he'sgoing to get picked up by some team real soon.  With the LTIR players, we are maxed out.  Best option is to see how well this team does as is, and then make some trades based on the position.  If we still suck in February, retain salary and dump the players as you suggested.

Yeah, our cap problems are going nowhere. I say we just ride it out and try our best to trade a couple wingers. Otherwise we get rid of Dries, and Studnicka, and roll with what we got. Hopefully Myers goes after Sep 15. No rush imo next year is when we should be focused on and hoping to make a push.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, our cap problems are going nowhere. I say we just ride it out and try our best to trade a couple wingers. Otherwise we get rid of Dries, and Studnicka, and roll with what we got. Hopefully Myers goes after Sep 15. No rush imo next year is when we should be focused on and hoping to make a push.

Who wants him?  I think every single team is now above the cap floor.

9 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Who knows. As the offseason progresses there will be some movement and maybe a team opens up a spot for him. Once his bonus is paid he's a low risk, low reward player who is a veteran presence with size. Depends if Allvin is done or not too and whether he would help out a trade by adding assets. If not we just keep him until his contract runs out.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Who knows. As the offseason progresses there will be some movement and maybe a team opens up a spot for him. Once his bonus is paid he's a low risk, low reward player who is a veteran presence with size. Depends if Allvin is done or not too and whether he would help out a trade by adding assets. If not we just keep him until his contract runs out.

Even though we're paying him the bulk of his contract he still has a cap hit of $6M.  Even if we retain half I feel like teams can find other, better options.

If anything gets done, I hope it is Garland going with Hog replacing him. Will be hard to move him with this cap hit and years remaining though, might be easier to move Beau since he's on his final year.

Edited by greenbean30
  • Cheers 1

I would vote for both 2 and 3. 
I think just for the sake of turnover and the fact that Hogz is waiver exempt means we should move 2 of Brock, Beau and Garland. That certainly hasn’t changed by what we did this off-season so far. 
Any chance to trade Myers and replace him with a useful player I take if the cost isn’t too high.

Still we should take an LTIR contract if a year.  We aren’t in LTIR and unless something still up PA’s sleeve we are boarderline playoff team at best.  

The team spends to the cap every year.  To call being at the cap limit a problem is not true - it happens every year.  The issue is how much room do you have the next year? The team has already improved a lot and will take another leap next year.

Biggest reason is next year there are a bunch of UFA's coming off the books and Canucks will have about 22M to spend.

Myers Pearson Beauvillier Blueger Joshua Dries Cole Irwin all become UFA's at the end of next year. Cap will go up 4M by recent projections.  Take away 2M increase in OEL cost and Canucks are left with about 22.5M of cap space.  After resigning Petey and Hronek with raises totalling about 5M there is still 17.5M to spend to improve the roster. That is a lot of cap flexibilty coming in one year's time.

That is very good news for this team.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

If we dump Myers in October, there's no one we can immediately replace him with.  The last solid RD UFA left is Matt Dumba, and he'sgoing to get picked up by some team real soon.  With the LTIR players, we are maxed out.  Best option is to see how well this team does as is, and then make some trades based on the position.  If we still suck in February, retain salary and dump the players as you suggested.

Well we still have Garland and Boeser to let go of if need be.

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

“… prettiest girl I’ve ever seen …”

Rock on!

and drink booze, of course. :towel:

Alf! lmao!  Can't forget the booze! I don't drink but cheers! ;)

I say we stand pat, more or less.  We should always be on the lookout for any trade or signing that could improve us but I think that management has done a fine job in addressing our major weakness, defence, and our need for a 3C.  I think that it's good to have guys competing for spots and we will always need injury replacements.  The extra forward depth is a good thing.  We've had so much turnover the last few years that we should see where we're at with what we've got.  I think we could have a winning team already and if issues arise we can address them as they come up.  As was mentioned we can just squeeze in under the cap as is so why not give it a go and see what happens as is?  GCG!

imo, my team still needs, a tough, hard skating, board battler to play along side petey and kuz; a play driving right handed 3c and the cap space to be able to get them. i believe our defense and pk will be improved. my team,

kuzmenko...pettersson...( joshua type winger )

mikheyev...miller...podkolzin

di guiseppe...( play driving right handed 3c )...boeser/garland/beauvillier/hoglander

joshua...aman...( tough defense strong winger

hughes... juulsen  ( willander )

cole...hronek

soucy...myers, until he's moved.

demko

martin  ( silovs )

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Even though it looks like every team will be above the floor, there teams that a) care about actual cash flow and b) have enough cap room for Myers.  

At an actual cash cost of only $1 million Myers is decent value. So I think there are teams who be interested in Myers. 

I also think he is replaceable. It looks like Hronek and Cole will likely play RD in the top 4. (Yes, Cole shoots left but he is experienced playing the right side.)

For the 3rd pairing, the Canucks recently re-signed Juulsen, who played late last year. He looked like a legitimate NHL D before getting injured. And Johansson had an excellent year in the SHL last year and could challenge for a spot. 

Would you rather have Myers of Juulsen (or Johansson) and an extra 5 million in cap space. I am going with option 2 on that one. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Even though it looks like every team will be above the floor, there teams that a) care about actual cash flow and b) have enough cap room for Myers.  

At an actual cash cost of only $1 million Myers is decent value. So I think there are teams who be interested in Myers. 

I also think he is replaceable. It looks like Hronek and Cole will likely play RD in the top 4. (Yes, Cole shoots left but he is experienced playing the right side.)

For the 3rd pairing, the Canucks recently re-signed Juulsen, who played late last year. He looked like a legitimate NHL D before getting injured. And Johansson had an excellent year in the SHL last year and could challenge for a spot. 

Would you rather have Myers of Juulsen (or Johansson) and an extra 5 million in cap space. I am going with option 2 on that one. 

Every other team is thinking the exact same thing, though.  I agree with your assessment of Juulsen, and yet I also believe he would clear waivers during the regular season.  If a team was on the market shopping for a 6/7 RD, I feel like Myers is the last option on anyone's list.

• Cheers 1