The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Cap, the Roster, and Where do we go from here

Rate this topic

JamesB

Another Cap-Related Move This Summer?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I disagree :bigblush:

Myers is the least of our problems. We are still lacking a solid top 4.  I like soucy a lot but ideally hes a 4/5.  Ive seen ppl here pencil in 35 yr old journeyman bottom pairing cole in as a top pairing dman, which is ridiculous.  

The team needs to add another legit top 3 dman to have a shot at making the playoffs this year.

I also dont see beauvillier going anywhere.   He played excellent with petey and he showed chemistry with miller.  Hes a low maintenance, natural scorer, really good skater, with high hockey iq.  He was consistently regulary able to make plays that our other wingers couldnt.  These guys are tough to find and hard to develop. 

He also fits the age group if we are going to compete in a few yrs. 

Best case scenario for the wings is to develop the heck outta hogz and podz.  Find a way to get bb6 and garland to rack up points early, then try to get some sucker to take them. 

Our current defense prospects are being replaced by sound vets this year. And Woo Rathbone et al are about to be hop scotched by Jurmo and EP2 et al. Which I'm excited about Jurmo looks crazy good at 6'6 in development camp. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/2/2023 at 2:37 PM, DrJockitch said:

I would vote for both 2 and 3. 
I think just for the sake of turnover and the fact that Hogz is waiver exempt means we should move 2 of Brock, Beau and Garland. That certainly hasn’t changed by what we did this off-season so far. 
Any chance to trade Myers and replace him with a useful player I take if the cost isn’t too high.

Still we should take an LTIR contract if a year.  We aren’t in LTIR and unless something still up PA’s sleeve we are boarderline playoff team at best.  

Hoglander is now waiver elligible, along with Rathbone and Woo. 

• Thanks 1

Did PA or JR not say how much they liked Juulsen playing with Hughes a couple of weeks ago ? That was before free agency though . Could he be in for another look this preseason ?  Esp. if Myers is moved witch i think is highly unlikely before the trading deadline  . Then only if we are way out of the playoffs 

• Cheers 1

Wishing all the picks a great career. Wishing this year is going to be a blast for the Nucks. Wishing any movement not include our Draft picks. 23 showed what could have been had we held onto our picks and the acquired picks that were thrown away. No telling what we could have drafted, the Canucks would have been different picks. 

I keep seeing that sending down Studnika and Dries would help us out.

Did they actually play for us during the season?  /facetious comment

Good riddance.  They were like those other two useless plugs who played during the Sedin's last few seasons.  I can't even remember their names, and frankly don't care to.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe Long Island Iced Teas?

Well the last time I got drunk was on my bday 2017 and have the odd beer at Christmas, New Years, Camping trips, not much though at all.

I have this thing against self induced sickness Lmao!  (I don't do hangovers well)  

2 hours ago, Nurnge said:

Did PA or JR not say how much they liked Juulsen playing with Hughes a couple of weeks ago ? That was before free agency though . Could he be in for another look this preseason ?  Esp. if Myers is moved witch i think is highly unlikely before the trading deadline  . Then only if we are way out of the playoffs 

Yes at least one of them did say that a while ago and PA volunteered Juulsen's name again recently.  Also of the "insiders" (media) have floated the idea of Juulsem with Hughes again.  They did well together last year and Hughes has shown with Schenn, with Bear, and with Juulsen that if he is paired with any reasonable defensively responsible partner, (i.e. not Myers) that pairing can hold its own as a "top pairing" at 5-on-5.

Then Soucy with Hronek are the second pair.

That leaves Cole to play with the whoever is #6 on the depth chart. That would probably be Myers if he is on the team and Cole would play his natural side.(LD).

But Cole can play either side and I could see him playing the right side with Irwin or Wolanin or Hirose or Brisebois on the  left on the 3rd pairing.

Hughes would get the lion's share of the PP minutes and Cole and Soucy would soak up a lot of PK minutes, Irwin is also good on the PK and Hronek can also play PK. quite well.

By the way, the worst PK D-man on the team last year, according to Evolving Hockey, was Tyler Myers -- below the level of a replacement level player using the SHD stat (short-handed defence).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

For whatever reason I overlooked Alriksson, when I saw our picks, hmmm 6'5 and wants to be a quality power forward?  Well if he learns how to use that size properly, could be possible I guess but they're hard to get and still hard to develop properly and need a lot of coaching, worth it however but we all know how promising looking ones can go awry, JV obviously but we can hope right? Seems to be a pretty good skater as well... Not a bad pick IF he makes it and I hope he does, we can always use skilled size 

I went with, 'Do something else.' Actually, any of those options can make sense for us this coming season. It's really just a matter of what management's goal is for such. I'm presuming they'd want us to get in the playoffs. Did they do enough?!?!?!?!??!?!??

At this point, post draft and free agent signings, I think they can reach that goal. As far as my "Do something else" choice goes, well............ Anything can happen really. I know the names mentioned in the other options are prevalent regarding trades 'n' such, but with the abundance of other forwards, Hogs, Pods, and farm players; just how far do we wanna go regarding playoffs or actually Stanley Cup contenting.

With a full training camp for all players on hand and the new additions hopefully fitting in seamlessly, there's a good chance we get to make that playoff appearance we so dearly wish for. Though I'm guessing we're gonna squeak in later as opposed to clinching a spot earlier. I'd be surprised if we clinch a playoff berth early. It wouldn't surprise me if we get in a wildcard race to make the playoffs. But......who knows?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!!

I mean, if someone comes looking for say Garland or even Boeser, and say they offer SOMETHING, and don't won't retention, then sure. But that's not going to happen.

And yes, we should trade Myers, but not yet...

We need him for the season. We need the defensive depth. Let the young players get tons of ice time in Abby. 

Injuries this season will provide the cap space.

And then, assuming things are about as they are now, trade Myers at the DEADLINE, for actually picks and prospects. Max retention, almost no actual cash, what team with dreams of a long cap run doesn't want another big defensemen for like no cap hit or cash involved? We will be able to get SOMETHING for him.....

But but but the playoffs? IMHO this is the best way to make the playoffs........

Put (if they are still on the team) Hoglander and Rathbone in Abby to start the year. They play and play and play.

They only come up if someone goes down for the year then we sink or swim with them. Unless they are getting beat out by others in Abbby. 

By the time the deadline comes along, I think someone in Abby will be worthy of a promotion that makes Myers redundant. Sure, we might make the playoffs, but we aren't going far, it's not time to push all the chips in yet.

As long as the team is always improving you will start seeing playoffs year after year.

On 7/2/2023 at 1:45 PM, JamesB said:

After spending the entire season in salary-cap purgatory, the Canucks created significant cap room by buying out OEL in mid-June.

Now, just over two weeks later, the Canucks are back in red numbers on Cap Friendly, meaning they are over the Cap.

According to Cap Friendly, the Canucks have 21 healthy NHL roster players and 3 injured NHL players (Mikheyev, Pearson, and Poolman).

Counting all 24 of those players, the Canucks are about $2.5 million over the Cap.

The "official" story is now that Mikheyev and Pearson will be ready for camp. That leaves only one guy on LTIR (Poolman). As his cap hit is 2.5 million, the Canucks could just squeak a 23 man roster under the Cap using 2.5 million of LTIR space. That group of 23 players would include only one goalie and seven D's. So they would need to swap out 2 forwards to add in a back-up goalie and an 8th D. As the backup goalies and 8th D would all be making about the NHL min, that is not a problem.

Hoglander is not included in those numbers. He is the last remaining RFA for the Canucks to sign and if he makes the big team a 3rd forward will need to be swapped out.

Assuming Pearson and Mikheyev are healthy, the following 6 guys will be competing for the final 3 forward spots: Podkolzin, Aman, PDG, Dries, Studnika, Hoglander.  My best guess is that Dries and Studnika are headed to Abby and that either Mik or Pearson starts the season on LTIR.

IF Poolman turns out to be healthy and Pearson and Mikheyev are also healthy, the Canucks would have a cap problem. But I think that is very unlikely. I suspect the Canucks could get away with having all three of those guys on LTIR to start the season if necessary.

But things are tight -- so tight that it appears no additional moves to improve the team are possible. 

In his interview after free agency opened, Allvin was asked about the rumor that the Canucks and San Jose had a agreement that San Jose would take Myers. Allvin did not give a straight answer. He said if the deal were on the table,why wouldn't it already be done. The answer is obvious. They could have a deal that San Jose will take Myers after the Canucks pay his bonus on Sept. 15. Allvin said that Myers is on the team "moving forward" but all that means is that he is on the team now as we move into the summer. It does not mean he will on the team when the season starts.

I think it would be great to have that cap room come available in September as, given the way free agency has gone so far, there will be good players available on bargain deals in September as teams try to get full 23-man rosters under the Cap.

Is anyone besides me thinking about the Cap again.

Not thinking about the cup again until 2 seasons after this when our core has more playing time and experience together, and our grown D depth especially, a lot harder to get and develop than F so I think we're ok but we can't screw up again and try for a cup with a lack of depth roster and hope get light on injuries in a run, that never worked for us before so all I want to see is that when we take a run at Stanley...

On 7/3/2023 at 11:34 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

Still need to revamp bottom 6. Add a legit 3rd C and a PK/physical winger. 

Still need a legit top 4 D

A lot of which we can do as we clear more cap. 

Agreed.  Cant believe how many ppl here think cole is a top 4 dman.  We need a legit top 2 or 3 dman preferably. I like blueger but the team looks weak down the middle compared to a lot of clubs.

Need to shed few wingers as well. 

On 7/13/2023 at 5:48 AM, EddieVedder said:

Agreed.  Cant believe how many ppl here think cole is a top 4 dman.  We need a legit top 2 or 3 dman preferably. I like blueger but the team looks weak down the middle compared to a lot of clubs.

Need to shed few wingers as well. 

Honestly until some of the high cap guys come off the books or one of our internal guys emerge I think this is a what you see is what you get defense situation