The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2024 NHL Entry Draft

This Igor Chernyshev is starting to really stand out to me. I'm getting quite a bit of Miroshnichenko vibes. There's prospects that play heavy in the sense of a Yurov or Dvorsky or Nate Danielson, where they're using their size to lean on guys and protect the puck and dominate board play, but then there's these players who seem to thrive on impact. Not just throwing big hits but absorbing hard bumps while they're controlling the puck.

Barlow was a good example of this from this past draft class, but Miro had this unique way of intentionally skating with the puck into contact and then using the momentum from the impact to create sudden changes of direction. Barlow would use this mostly to create chaos around the slot area, but with Miro it seemed much more strategic - using the force of impact to move east-west across the slot, or his trademark move would be bouncing off a check into a spin away from the defender into some ridiculous cross ice passing option he'd clearly had to have had surveyed in advance.

Anyway, I could gush about Miroshnichenko for pages, but the point here is after a couple of viewings I think I see a lot of the same elements with Chernyshov. I don't think he's quite the physical freak Miro is, but it does look like maybe Chernyshov has the more dynamic puck skills.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

On 8/2/2023 at 10:01 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Every year there's those players that were considered phenoms from a very young age but stop growing at under 6'0 or less and it creates a lot of uncertainty with their draft status - see Matthew Savoie and Zach Benson in the past couple drafts. This year that is Berkly Catton. Lots of similarities to Zach Benson in that their main strength is elite 200-foot IQ. Catton looks like an easy top ten pick going by the stats and his play against his peers at international tournaments, but we'll see.

The more I watch of Catton, I'm starting to think I might put him closer to the category of a Jack Hughes or Logan Cooley than I would Matthew Savoie or Zach Benson for ultra-skilled but diminutive forward prospects.

When I first saw him at U17s last fall I was initially blown away, but I think I got a little down on him when he was out-matched by James Hagens head-to-head, but I actually think that says more about how special Hagens is than anything negative about Catton.

More random thoughts: right now I'm gonna say in my mind it's a two-horse race between Levshunov and Jiricek for best D in the draft. As great as Dickinson is, there are just too many holes in his game. Some will recall how down I was I Simon Edvinsson in his draft year, where I said that with his size and raw tools the upside is tremendous but given some of his decision-making things could go horribly wrong if he's not developed properly (Detroit seems to be doing wonders for him). I don't think I'm going to take quite as strong a stance about Dickinson this year, but there are definitely some causes for concern.

28 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

More random thoughts: right now I'm gonna say in my mind it's a two-horse race between Levshunov and Jiricek for best D in the draft. As great as Dickinson is, there are just too many holes in his game. Some will recall how down I was I Simon Edvinsson in his draft year, where I said that with his size and raw tools the upside is tremendous but given some of his decision-making things could go horribly wrong if he's not developed properly (Detroit seems to be doing wonders for him). I don't think I'm going to take quite as strong a stance about Dickinson this year, but there are definitely some causes for concern.

Disagreed. Dickinson's maturity combined with his animalistic opportunism will render him one of if not the best D in the draft.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

Disagreed. Dickinson's maturity combined with his animalistic opportunism will render him one of if not the best D in the draft.

Very well could be. I don't disagree that that's a good possibility. Just think Levshunov and Jiricek are safer options, also with very high upside.

I think the nux will be going for it this year.  This is now the 3rd year for this mgmt group who promised Aqua another re tool on the fly. I think it's pretty likely that they trade our 1st this year. In the event that we do keep our first the Canucks IMO need to add size with the IQ and hands to play with skilled players.  

FWDS

Simon Zether RHC 6'3 Former team mate of Willander. He's got NHL 2/3C written all over him. He will get SHL time this year as he's got good details to his game and 2 way ability. He's also just way too good for the J20 put up a hatty in his first game this season and currently has 4g 5a in 5 games. He's got an October b day which will make him one of the older kids in this draft class but also means as an incredibly young kid in the J20 Nat last season he went PPG and put up 6g in 6 playoff games. What I like most is he pretty much just has his way down low at this level. 

Emil Hemming 6'2 RW was a standout at Hilinka his shot is wicked and can score from everywhere. Looks like a very worth while project. 

Michael Hage 6'1 RHC He's got the total package we need in a 2 way C. He missed most of last season due to injury I think his ranking will rise into the top 15 but he's certainly one to watch. Works his butt off at both ends and has enough skill to punish teams stars when they get too cute with the puck. 

Sacha Boisvert 6'2 LHC Skates quite well has NHL size and is slick with the puck on his stick. Ill be paying attention to him.

Matvei Babenko 6'3 RW Not sure where to rank him yet. He had a pretty good year last year in the MHL and has been promoted to the KHL he might be worth keeping tabs on. 

The D's 

Cole Hutson listed  5'8 -5'10 143-160lb LHD IMO he's a top 10 pick with top 5 skill. He's gonna drop due to his small stature  how far I don't know but it better not be past us.  This kid is fire and doesn't shy away when the going gets rough. He's a "difference maker".

Adam Jiricek 6'1  RHD no way he makes it to us but a lot of rankings have him in the bottom half of the class right now so maybe there's a chance?

on to the more realistic targets. 

Charlie Elick 6'3 RHD He's ticking all the boxes I am looking for in a shut down D that can hang with skilled players and log huge minutes. 

John Whipple 6'1  LHD  Puck hound. He battles all over the ice if you're going to get by him you're going to have to earn it. He's got a decent shot from the point too. 

My preliminary "late round" watch list.  

Daniil Ustinkov 6'0 LHD playing in the Swiss NL and even laced up in 3 playoff contests last year for the Lions this kid is a late August birthday the Lions coaching staff must reallllly like this kid. Plus wicked name.

Adam Jecho  6'5 RW skates pretty well and claps bombs this kid is an absolute beast. We will see if the move to the WHL hurts or helps his draft stock sometimes these kids struggle adjusting to NA. If his stock drops we should snap him up. 

Colton Roberts 6'4 RHD those of you are Giants fans will be familiar he's got some nasty and is excellent in transition. He is tidy with the puck in his own end. 

Arseni Marchenko 6'6 monster LHD. It will be interesting to watch how the former captain of the Belarussian u17 squad adjusts to the USHL. I can't say I've ever seen him play but his stats lead me to believe he is going to be worth checking up on. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 more I forgot to mention I don't know how I left him off my list above but........

Anton Silayev. LHD this guy is huge 6'7 207lbs. Has come out of no where and is absolutely crushing the KHL with 6 points in his first 6 games wtf no really who is this kid? he's done relatively little in previous years to garner any attention then all of a sudden goes PPG in his first 6 KHL games. He only needs 14more in his next 24 games this season to beat Michkov. Hes already blown away the next highest scoring u18 D ever in the KHL by 4 points. 

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

1 more I forgot to mention I don't know how I left him off my list above but........

Anton Silayev. LHD this guy is huge 6'7 207lbs. Has come out of no where and is absolutely crushing the KHL with 6 points in his first 6 games wtf no really who is this kid? he's done relatively little in previous years to garner any attention then all of a sudden goes PPG in his first 6 KHL games. He only needs 14more in his next 24 games this season to beat Michkov. Hes already blown away the next highest scoring u18 D ever in the KHL by 4 points. 

Lol by some strange coincidence I've actually watched almost every Novgorod game this season. Initially I was scouting Firstov for fantasy purposes, and Vasili Atanasov caught my eye in a major way, so I kept tuning in and gradually started to notice draft-eligibles Silayev and Nikita Artamonov. They're letting the kids play, that's for sure. Silayev making a ton of mistakes but often able to cover them up with his skating and physicality. Pretty imposing for a kid that age. I think the thing that stood out most once I started looking into him is on Chaika's run to the MHL championship last year, Silayev had 40 hits and 35 blocks in 17 games.

I see elements of both Mukhamadullin and Simashev in different ways. He's not as defensively sound as Mukhamadullin or as smooth a skater as Simashev, but he still excels in both aspects, and he's just such a physical force.

• Cheers 1

On 9/16/2023 at 3:26 PM, hammertime said:

I think the nux will be going for it this year.  This is now the 3rd year for this mgmt group who promised Aqua another re tool on the fly. I think it's pretty likely that they trade our 1st this year. In the event that we do keep our first the Canucks IMO need to add size with the IQ and hands to play with skilled players.  

FWDS

Simon Zether RHC 6'3 Former team mate of Willander. He's got NHL 2/3C written all over him. He will get SHL time this year as he's got good details to his game and 2 way ability. He's also just way too good for the J20 put up a hatty in his first game this season and currently has 4g 5a in 5 games. He's got an October b day which will make him one of the older kids in this draft class but also means as an incredibly young kid in the J20 Nat last season he went PPG and put up 6g in 6 playoff games. What I like most is he pretty much just has his way down low at this level. 

Emil Hemming 6'2 RW was a standout at Hilinka his shot is wicked and can score from everywhere. Looks like a very worth while project. 

Michael Hage 6'1 RHC He's got the total package we need in a 2 way C. He missed most of last season due to injury I think his ranking will rise into the top 15 but he's certainly one to watch. Works his butt off at both ends and has enough skill to punish teams stars when they get too cute with the puck. 

Sacha Boisvert 6'2 LHC Skates quite well has NHL size and is slick with the puck on his stick. Ill be paying attention to him.

Matvei Babenko 6'3 RW Not sure where to rank him yet. He had a pretty good year last year in the MHL and has been promoted to the KHL he might be worth keeping tabs on. 

The D's 

Cole Hutson listed  5'8 -5'10 143-160lb LHD IMO he's a top 10 pick with top 5 skill. He's gonna drop due to his small stature  how far I don't know but it better not be past us.  This kid is fire and doesn't shy away when the going gets rough. He's a "difference maker".

Adam Jiricek 6'1  RHD no way he makes it to us but a lot of rankings have him in the bottom half of the class right now so maybe there's a chance?

on to the more realistic targets. 

Charlie Elick 6'3 RHD He's ticking all the boxes I am looking for in a shut down D that can hang with skilled players and log huge minutes. 

John Whipple 6'1  LHD  Puck hound. He battles all over the ice if you're going to get by him you're going to have to earn it. He's got a decent shot from the point too. 

My preliminary "late round" watch list.  

Daniil Ustinkov 6'0 LHD playing in the Swiss NL and even laced up in 3 playoff contests last year for the Lions this kid is a late August birthday the Lions coaching staff must reallllly like this kid. Plus wicked name.

Adam Jecho  6'5 RW skates pretty well and claps bombs this kid is an absolute beast. We will see if the move to the WHL hurts or helps his draft stock sometimes these kids struggle adjusting to NA. If his stock drops we should snap him up. 

Colton Roberts 6'4 RHD those of you are Giants fans will be familiar he's got some nasty and is excellent in transition. He is tidy with the puck in his own end. 

Arseni Marchenko 6'6 monster LHD. It will be interesting to watch how the former captain of the Belarussian u17 squad adjusts to the USHL. I can't say I've ever seen him play but his stats lead me to believe he is going to be worth checking up on. 

Emil Hemming off to a scorching start to the year, kid can fill the net and already has the body of a man at 17.25 years old.