The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Vancouver - Buffalo

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Trading Garland is risky considering how good he is 5 on 5, not really a win imo, trading Beauviliier especially for a dman is a win

Beau is on the last year of his contract so he likely has more value than Garland. So it’s more likely he could return a D. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, mll said:

Don't see why they would want Beauvillier.   There's no real role for him.  It's a lineup spot for someone that doesn't quite fit.  

Not sure if the Athletic reporter who covers the Sabres is any good, but he listed an experienced winger as their biggest remaining need:

With the injury to Jack Quinn, the Sabres could have used another experienced forward to round out the forward depth chart. They have some younger prospects who could jump in, like Jiri Kulich and Matt Savoie, but finding one more experienced player on the wing would have been a bonus. — Matthew Fairburn

• Cheers 1

On 7/12/2023 at 10:19 PM, Ted Lasso said:

Not sure if the Athletic reporter who covers the Sabres is any good, but he listed an experienced winger as their biggest remaining need:

With the injury to Jack Quinn, the Sabres could have used another experienced forward to round out the forward depth chart. They have some younger prospects who could jump in, like Jiri Kulich and Matt Savoie, but finding one more experienced player on the wing would have been a bonus. — Matthew Fairburn

Buffalo has been all about removing the glass ceiling and not blocking their younger players.  They could use an experienced bottom-6 as they struggle defensively and their PK is poor but don't see them adding top-6/scoring.  They added Greenway at the TDL on the hope to address their bottom-6 need. 

6 hours ago, mll said:

Buffalo has been all about removing the glass ceiling and not blocking their younger players.  They could use an experienced bottom-6 as they struggle defensively and their PK is poor but don't see them adding top-6/scoring.  They added Greenway at the TDL on the hope to address their bottom-6 need.

While he mentions the younger players as options, Fairburn thinks another experienced (scoring RW) winger to replace Quinn is their biggest remaining need.

That’s enough for me to see them as a potential destination for Garland or Beauvillier.

Edited by Ted Lasso
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

While he mentions the younger players as options, Fairburn thinks another experienced (scoring RW) winger to replace Quinn is their biggest remaining need.

That’s enough for me to see them as a potential destination for Garland or Beauvillier.

Buffalo were 3rd in scoring last season.  Even without Quinn's 14 goals they would still be top-10.  Preventing goals their issue.  He's also not out all season and could be back already in November.  Garland for 3 years for a 1-2 month  absence doesn't seem logical.  Neither Beauvillier or Garland are ideal bottom-6 either once Quinn is back.  They could just claim someone off waivers like they did Jost or sign one of the UFAs still available.  

They could also give an extended look at Jiri Kulich - had 46 pts/24 goals in 62 games as an 18 year-old in the AHL + 11pts / 7 goals in 12 playoff games.

Management has repeated endlessly that their priority is to move cap.  Hard to believe they didn't do all their possible since the season concluded.  If Pearson healthy and all the regulars on the roster + Höglander they don't seem to have the cap space to carry 23 players.  What they do will show whether anyone has any value.

Edited by mll

28 minutes ago, mll said:

Buffalo were 3rd in scoring last season.  Even without Quinn's 14 goals they would still be top-10.  Preventing goals their issue.

Yes, they rely heavily on offence. All the more reason to reinforce their top 6 wingers while Quinn is out for 2+ months. 

Better to invest in a strong start to the season vs gamble on a depleted offence and already weak defence.

37 minutes ago, mll said:

He's also not out all season and could be back already in November.  Garland for 3 years for a 1-2 month  absence doesn't seem logical.  Neither Beauvillier or Garland are ideal bottom-6 either once Quinn is back.  

He could also be out longer, or re-injure it. It’s a major injury.

In 2-3 months they can re-evaluate, based on what’s working well in their top 6, then make additional moves as needed.  There will likely be other injuries and underperforming players by then also.

39 minutes ago, mll said:

They could just claim someone off waivers like they did Jost or sign one of the UFAs still available.

Which 40+ point, experienced wingers do you see passing through waivers?

For UFAs, which experienced right wingers would they target? Kane? Tarasenko? Tatar? Hornquist? Josh Bailey? All 31+, with their best years behind them.

45 minutes ago, mll said:

Management has repeated endlessly that their priority is to move cap.  Hard to believe they didn't do all their possible since the season concluded.

Harder to believe other teams are going to give us good trade prices in June/July….need to wait for a few more dominos to fall, or lower our own prices to facilitate a trade.

On 7/12/2023 at 4:15 PM, Ted Lasso said:

What do you think?

Lyabushkin is a great target. I love the idea!  Just a depth guy at his age, but the just picked up Erik Johnson.  So maybe expendable???

Not sure they need Garland?

RW Tuch, Peterka, Olofson (last year, was on block), Quinn, Isaac Rosen

Also have F prospects Kulich who is dynamite.  They want to play center, but I have read he will play wing. Plus Noah Ostlund.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

Buffalo were 3rd in scoring last season.  Even without Quinn's 14 goals they would still be top-10.  Preventing goals their issue.  He's also not out all season and could be back already in November.  Garland for 3 years for a 1-2 month  absence doesn't seem logical.  Neither Beauvillier or Garland are ideal bottom-6 either once Quinn is back.  They could just claim someone off waivers like they did Jost or sign one of the UFAs still available.  

They could also give an extended look at Jiri Kulich - had 46 pts/24 goals in 62 games as an 18 year-old in the AHL + 11pts / 7 goals in 12 playoff games.

Management has repeated endlessly that their priority is to move cap.  Hard to believe they didn't do all their possible since the season concluded.  If Pearson healthy and all the regulars on the roster + Höglander they don't seem to have the cap space to carry 23 players.  What they do will show whether anyone has any value.

Sabres have Power coming along to take over the number 1 D man role that “Green Jacket” Dhalin fails so miserably at. 

6 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

Yes, they rely heavily on offence. All the more reason to reinforce their top 6 wingers while Quinn is out for 2+ months. 

Better to invest in a strong start to the season vs gamble on a depleted offence and already weak defence.

He could also be out longer, or re-injure it. It’s a major injury.

In 2-3 months they can re-evaluate, based on what’s working well in their top 6, then make additional moves as needed.  There will likely be other injuries and underperforming players by then also.

Which 40+ point, experienced wingers do you see passing through waivers?

For UFAs, which experienced right wingers would they target? Kane? Tarasenko? Tatar? Hornquist? Josh Bailey? All 31+, with their best years behind them.

Harder to believe other teams are going to give us good trade prices in June/July….need to wait for a few more dominos to fall, or lower our own prices to facilitate a trade.

Adams points out that they need to become a better 2-way team and improve their defensive play and PK.  He sounds confident in their offence.  Aim doesn't seem to be to outscore mistakes.  

This is about a place holder for a couple of months till Quinn is back healthy - not someone to spend millions on and be stuck with.  Adding a top-6 really seems redundant + they have Kulich who is already looking impressive as a teenager in the AHL. 

Kekaleinen last year thought the longer he waited the more likely he would need to pay to move Bjorkstrand.  August has GMs on vacation and September focus is on training camp. 

11 hours ago, mll said:

This is about a place holder for a couple of months till Quinn is back healthy - not someone to spend millions on and be stuck with.  Adding a top-6 really seems redundant + they have Kulich who is already looking impressive as a teenager in the AHL. 

If Lyubushkin is made redundant adding Johnson and Clifton, trading him for Beauvillier costs a net difference of $1.4M, with the shortest possible term.

For Buffalo, this is cap reallocation / hockey trade, that leaves them with ~$5M to address defence 

Edited by Ted Lasso

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Lyabushkin is a great target. I love the idea!  Just a depth guy at his age, but the just picked up Erik Johnson.  So maybe expendable???

Not sure they need Garland?

RW Tuch, Peterka, Olofson (last year, was on block), Quinn, Isaac Rosen

Also have F prospects Kulich who is dynamite.  They want to play center, but I have read he will play wing. Plus Noah Ostlund.

Yeah, the Athletic reporter suggested they could use an experienced winger to replace Quinn, who’s out with an Achilles tear.

it’s also been suggested here that Beauvillier would make more sense to Buffalo, given Garlands term

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 12:12 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

They have a lot of defencemen signed and surely Power is going to steam-roll his way into their top-4 next year, so someone's going to be playing less. I always liked Lyubushkin but he's just another bottom-2 pairing guy. Mainly a bottom pairing guy and big hitter, not fantastic defensively but not bad and brings minimal offence. A bit like a heavier Burroughs, so not a bad player, but we just don't really have room for him with Cole and Soucy coming in, Myers still on our bottom pairing and Hirose and Rathbone chomping at the bit to make an entrance. Plus we've got Irwin for those tougher, grittier matchups.

We'd have to flip Myers to make this work realistically and that'd be hard.

Lyubushkin for Beauvillier + Myers 

They have the cap space for it, Myers plays bigger minutes and is better on the PK (or so we advertise him as), they get a better, younger, cheaper winger in Beauvillier. Cap-wise it works for them, and they can re-sign Myers cheaply next season or let him go.

We can't do anything with the cap space now anyway (or could we...)

1st + 2nd + Rathbone for Pesce or Hanifin

Hughes - Pesce

Cole - Hronek

Soucy - Lyubushkin

Hirose

Irwin

or

Hughes - Cole

Hanifin - Hronek

Soucy - Lyubushkin

Hirose

Irwin

I agree with your thesis that we need another top D to be a sure fire playoff team and to get EP40 to sign long term... I think unless everyone plays really well - our stars + Demko goes bubble mode, Milky, Suzy, miller, Hroneck, Brock, bleugges, super, Cole, Soucy all have to play well for us to make playoffs, at best, this roster is a wld card team, and even in a year or two I do not see podz, hogs, letterewmaki or Willander being a difference maker, 

so we need to go all in and add another d man:

what should we reasonably move ? 2025 1st, one of Hogz, letteremaki, Rathbone, and then someone to balance cap such as Myers... oh yeah and we can make the trade in 3 weeks so the receiving team does not have to pay the 5 mill Myers bonus 

who to target ?

ANA - cam fowler... 31 top pair d man, 3 yrs left on 6.5 million MTC ( 4 team trade list, so he can say no to 28 teams...)

ARZ - JJ moser - 23 yrs old, played top pair in ARZ last year , could be a 2nd pair D man playing wth Hroneck, ARZ could part with him for Myers (after bonus,  who they can later flip maybe for a 2nd, Letteremaki, 2025 1st...) 

BOS - Carlo - a more reasonable get than Maccovoy or Lindholm, tbh I am surprised BOS did not trade for mliller, he was perfect for them and they new berry and Kreji were gone

BUF - Samuelson ? doubt BUF would part with him... rumour last year was Canucks asked for Jokiharju for Brock and BUF said no...

CGY - Tanev... I would not mind bringing him back depending on the price... something like Myers after bonus + Hoglander, Hanifin wants to go to the US only

CAR - Pesce would be perfect but expensive to acquire and re sign  and he may just want to play n the US, CAR prob would accept 2025 1st+ Letteremaki + Rathbone and Myers after bonus but pesce prob wants >6.5 million x at least 6 yrs... from an American team likely might be not a great fit unless you can negotiate prior to trade

CHI - no good options, ? Connor Murphy 

COL - Toews contract up this year but plays on top pairing, Girard would be great, good contract, Maker, Manson, Byram untouchable ? Letteremaki + 2025 1st + Brock for Toews or Girard...

CBJ - werenski is untouchable and I do not like anyone else there, stay away from Boqvist, I could be interested in Peeke but in a different trade, like a Peeke for garland trade...

DAL - they won't trade their top 3 D and their other 3 are all bottom pairing guys 

DET - we already got their best player, but if they want to go to the well again, I would do a package for Walman, like 2025 1st + Hogz but they have to take Myers after the bonus or garland...

EDM - no thanks 

FLA- Montour ? but they just acquired him and moved weegar instead, so no real good options, ekblad untouchable but injury prone 

LA - they seem set, I do not see them trading a D 

MIN - spurg, bodin untouchable, rest not great...yet

MTL - no good options IMO

NSH - no thanks to Fabbro, they have become very thin on D

NJD - I do not see them moving any of their good D

NYI -I do not see them moving any of their good D

NYR -I do not see them moving any of their good D

OTT - I do not see them moving any of their good D

PHI - no good d men left

PIT - Set on D with no depth to move

SJS - no good d men left

SEA - Outside of Larsson who I bet is untouchable, I do not like their D, they overachieved IMO 

STL - no good options 

TB- they are thin on d now, I doubt they move one of their big 3 d sergachev, creak, hedman, they do not have enough depth to move prebix

TOR - their D is worse than ours...

VKG - would they consider trading Theadore, what would it take? he is probably untouchable 

WSH - their only good d man is untouchabke

WIN - now that's an interesting team - I would go big and try and get Morissey - 1st + Letteremaki + 2nd + Myers after bonus ...heck, I would consider two firsts, Pionk, Demelo and Dhillon are all worthwhile but WIN has minimal depth and has not really picked a direction. A good deal could prob snag one of these d men 

Finalists

JJ Moser

Morissey

Pionk

Demelo

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

I agree with your thesis that we need another top D to be a sure fire playoff team and to get EP40 to sign long term... I think unless everyone plays really well - our stars + Demko goes bubble mode, Milky, Suzy, miller, Hroneck, Brock, bleugges, super, Cole, Soucy all have to play well for us to make playoffs, at best, this roster is a wld card team, and even in a year or two I do not see podz, hogs, letterewmaki or Willander being a difference maker, 

what should we reasonably move ? 2025 1st, one of Hogz, letteremaki, Rathbone, and then someone to balance cap such as Myers... oh yeah and we can make the trade in 3 weeks so the receiving team does not have to pay the 5 mill Myers bonus 

who to target ?

ANA - cam fowler... 31 top pair d man, 3 yrs left on 6.5 million MTC ( 4 team trade list, so he can say no to 28 teams...)

ARZ - JJ moser - 23 yrs old, played top pair in ARZ last year , could be a 2nd pair D man playing wth Hroneck, ARZ could part with him for Myers (after bonus,  who they can later flip maybe for a 2nd, Letteremaki, 2025 1st...) 

BOS - Carlo - a more reasonable get than Maccovoy or Lindholm, tbh I am surprised BOS did not trade for mliller, he was perfect for them and they new berry and Kreji were gone

BUF - Samuelson ? doubt BUF would part with him... rumour last year was Canucks asked for Jokiharju for Brock and BUF said no...

CGY - Tanev... I would not mind bringing him back depending on the price... something like Myers after bonus + Hoglander, Hanifin wants to go to the US only

CAR - Pesce would be perfect but expensive to acquire and re sign  and he may just want to play n the US, CAR prob would accept 2025 1st+ Letteremaki + Rathbone and Myers after bonus but pesce prob wants >6.5 million x at least 6 yrs... from an American team likely might be not a great fit unless you can negotiate prior to trade

COL - Toews contract up this year but plays on top pairing, Girard would be great, good contract, Maker, Manson, Byram untouchable ? Letteremaki + 2025 1st + Brock for Toews or Girard...

CBJ - werenski is untouchable and I do not like anyone else there, stay away from Boqvist, I could be interested in Peeke but in a different trade, like a Peeke for garland trade...

DAL - they won't trade their top 3 D and their other 3 are all bottom pairing guys 

DET - we already got their best player, but if they want to go to the well again, I would do a package for Walman, like 2025 1st + Hogz but they have to take Myers after the bonus or garland...

EDM - no thanks 

FLA- Montour ? but they just acquired him and moved weegar instead, so no real good options, ekblad untouchable but injury prone 

PHI - no good d men left

SJS - no good d men left

SEA - Outside of Larsson who I bet is untouchable, I do not like their D, they overachieved IMO 

STL - no good options 

TB- they are thin on d now, I doubt they move one of their big 3 d sergachev, creak, hedman, they do not have enough depth to move prebix

VKG - would they consider trading Theadore, what would it take? he is probably untouchable 

WIN - now that's an interesting team - I would go big and try and get Morissey - 1st + Letteremaki + 2nd + Myers after bonus ...heck, I would consider two firsts, Pionk, Demelo and Dhillon are all worthwhile but WIN has minimal depth and has not really picked a direction. A good deal could prob snag one of these d men 

Finalists

JJ Moser

Morissey

Pionk

Demelo

I would make that deal for Morrissey.  A bit of a steep price, but you have to pay it to get someone that good.

On 8/27/2023 at 7:10 AM, Canucks Curse said:

who to target ?

EDM - no thanks 

PHI - no good d men left

SJS - no good d men left

STL - no good options 

Finalists

JJ Moser

Morissey

Pionk

Demelo

Good analysis of all the teams. I quite liked Peeke but again, he's a bit of a risk - he was one of the worst defencemen in the league last year (whether it be because of him or his team) and he's been pushed out of the depth chart. Right now I don't see him playing on that lineup, and they preferred Boqvist later in the year over him on the right side. Could be a nice gamble, I'd happily give up Garland or Beauvillier + maybe Rathbone for him or retain cap to make it work. But again, he's no top solid top-4 guy.

Thing is we need guys who can play 20 minutes. As bad as OEL was, he did take a lot of minutes off Hughes. Right now we basically have Hughes as a what...25 minute guy, Hronek who is a solid 20-22 minute man, then Cole who averaged 19 minutes last year, Soucy who averaged 16 minutes as our 2nd pairing LD, and then Myers who can play big minutes but not well.

IMO we need a solid 2nd fiddle LD to play behind Hughes. OEL was a very bad one. Cole and Soucy will probably fill this role but Hughes knows he's going to be playing stupid minutes next year. Ideally I'd say we go after a defensive-first shutdown-type LD to take big minutes off Hughes - especially on the PK and defensively. Cole and Soucy are quite flexible luckily. You can see Allvin is building around Hughes and Hronek and supporting them well but realistically, with 2nd or 3rd tier guys. When you look at top teams like Carolina or Vegas, they just have such solid 4 x top-4 20+ minute defencemen. We have....two.

It must just be impossible to trade for these guys listed above which is why we're going this route. Our best offers include Boeser, 1st, Lekker and maybe Rathbone.