The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rough Tough Canucks of 1994 Stanley Cup Finals

Rate this topic

RolexSub

11 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Completely different era but toughness has always been a factor in the playoffs. I think it dipped a bit but it's clearly back now. Size and toughness. You could go and argue one further that you really need a MASSIVE solid, physical defence with 1-2 puck movers to shut down the opponents, then second-most importantly you need good two-way forwards. They don't have to be massive, they just have to be solid defensively and aware and grind or play hard. We saw a lot of big centers win championships recently (Kopitar, O'Reilly etc.) but I don't think that's a necessity, I think they just have to be good enough defensively to check the other forwards, but size on defence is key. Then of course, good goaltending.

The obvious comparable is the 2011 finals, we had a relatively small team with some solid forwards, elite PP and a pretty versatile defence, but it was far from a physical defence whereas Boston just destroyed us physically over the series. They had monsters on their blueline who literally broke our forwards and we couldn't get past them, whereas their forwards were so good defensively they checked us and eventually, they managed to score against our relatively small defence.

I think you can win with small forwards - just look at Chicago, heck even Tampa. Guys like Kucherov, Point, Toews, Kane etc. are running circles around teams but they're all very solid defensively and work hard, but they're not massive. Sure, their depth guys are big, but their top guys aren't. Meanwhile, look at those defences. Seabrook, Keith, Hedman. Two-way beasts.

Going forward, that's why I like Allvin's UFA acquisitions - they bring some much needed size and grit to our blueline. We can get by up-front, we've got decent two-way forwards, we could use some size in our bottom-6, but on defence we needed to get stronger physically and we did. We need to keep that going, especially next year with Myers out and Cole a year older, we'll need some more size to keep coming in on the blueline.

2011 canucks were better than 2011 bruins. The refs tried to even out the series in the first 4 or 5 games and then failed to correct.

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2023 at 3:05 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Only thing. Linden with frozen ribs, still scored 2 goals in game 7 when it mattered.

Bure had an assist on one of Linden's goals. Of all the times we needed Bure to find another gear it was that game.

I’m pretty sure he was also the guy who let Messier whizz by him, on the first goal too and never decided to back-check.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Beat me to it Babych was an extremely strong player. I remember them doing a piece between periods in a game where they discussed his benchpress. The 2023 team could use a Babych in his prime. He could skate, score, defend and hit like few others

He was naturally strong af.  Wasnt he also drafted like 2nd overall?  He waa a heck of a player and leader. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

Well. Anyone but Nedved. Jagr made it known he was only coming to the NHL to play with his idol, Mario Lemieux.

Imagine what this franchise would have looked like if we drafted Jagr and Brodeur, instead of Nedved and Antoski. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

the average WWE wrestler today isnt even close to what these guys weighed back in the day

Oh definitely, but until the early 90’s, most were on the juice. Then they made the switch to smaller and more natural athletic guys like Bret and HBK. Of course HBK liked other substances and pills but that’s another story.

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

Imagine what this franchise would have looked like if we drafted Jagr and Brodeur, instead of Nedved and Antoski. 

Jagr would have stayed in the Czech Republic and probably re-entered the draft later.

Brodeur would have been a game changer though.

7 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

Jagr would have stayed in the Czech Republic and probably re-entered the draft later.

Brodeur would've been a bad fit here unless Jacques Lemaire and his sleep inducing version of hockey came here as well

14 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

Well. Anyone but Nedved. Jagr made it known he was only coming to the NHL to play with his idol, Mario Lemieux.

26 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

Brodeur would have solved the post McLean goalie graveyard but wouldn't have made a difference in 1994.  Kirk gave the team absolutely everything it could ever want that year.

The only thing that made Nedved arguably a bad pick was his ultimate disinterest in playing for Vancouver...something that came to be shared by Pavel Bure.  The first four picks in 1990 were Owen Nolan, Nedved, Keith Primeau and Mike Ricci.  The first three all had the worst rookie years imaginable...something like 15 points each...and then all developed into very good players.  Ricci was exactly as advertised...higher floor than those three with a lower ceiling and guaranteed character and leadership.  Nedved ultimately became Jeff Brown for us and a 70 point defenseman was pretty much what we needed...in fact we probably needed that more than we needed Nedved's 40 goals up front.

Brown, Lumme and an aging Babych were just enough offensive skill on the blueline to compete with contenders like Calgary (MacInnis and Suter / James Patrick) or the Rangers (Leetch and Zubov).  Take Brown out of the equation that year and who knows...

Edited by Kevin Biestra

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Brodeur would have solved the post McLean goalie graveyard but wouldn't have made a difference in 1994.  Kirk gave the team absolutely everything it could ever want that year.

The only thing that made Nedved arguably a bad pick was his ultimate disinterest in playing for Vancouver...something that came to be shared by Pavel Bure.  The first four picks in 1990 were Owen Nolan, Nedved, Keith Primeau and Mike Ricci.  The first three all had the worst rookie years imaginable...something like 15 points each...and then all developed into very good players.  Ricci was exactly as advertised...higher floor than those three with a lower ceiling and guaranteed character and leadership.  Nedved ultimately became Jeff Brown for us and a 70 point defenseman was pretty much what we needed...in fact we probably needed that more than we needed Nedved's 40 goals up front.

Brown, Lumme and an aging Babych were just enough offensive skill on the blueline to compete with contenders like Calgary (MacInnis and Suter / James Patrick) or the Rangers (Leetch and Zubov).  Take Brown out of the equation that year and who knows...

I wonder what that Gretzky autographed stick that Nedved owns is worth today?:ph34r:

But in fairness to our scouts back then, Nedved DID put up a pile of points in the *WHL*.  That wasn't a creampuff league so you can see why they went with him.  Ricci badly needed a hair stylist.:ph34r:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I wonder what that Gretzky autographed stick that Nedved owns is worth today?:ph34r:

But in fairness to our scouts back then, Nedved DID put up a pile of points in the *WHL*.  That wasn't a creampuff league so you can see why they went with him.  Ricci badly needed a hair stylist.:ph34r:

It was really a pick 'em between Nolan, Nedved and Primeau.  Basically a three way tie...really a four way tie with Ricci...and then Jagr off on the side as his own thing.

That Gretzky stick.  I wonder.  It's kind of like an evil talisman of Canucks lore at this point.

4 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

Heck, I’ll settle for Hatcher or even Sydor.

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Brodeur would've been a bad fit here unless Jacques Lemaire and his sleep inducing version of hockey came here as well

I’m not so sure about that. He was an elite goalie. Granted, the Canucks may not have had the success that New Jersey had, but to say he’d be a bad fit is silly IMO. 

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah. I can’t disagree with that. But down the road after 94 is when they could have used Brodeur. Heck, even Irbe was really good for the Canucks, but he had a terrible team in front of him.