The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rough Tough Canucks of 1994 Stanley Cup Finals

Rate this topic

RolexSub

I think that was slightly before Adrian Aucoin and Cullimore's time.  Oksiuta as well.

On the other hand though Nathan Lafayette was a pretty big guy that you left out.  I think he was six foot one measured with a lot of girth and a good looking body.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • There it is 3

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

82 the team got wiped out and swept in 4, because the Islanders were in their prime. Whomever won the west was pretty much screwed.

It's not a matter just of size, the 94' team had balance. It had skill (Linden, Bure, Ronning, Courtnall), It had toughness, and could play any type of hockey.

Change a couple of pieces for example convincing Larionov to come back, or keeping Lidster and Neely.

Sigh. Would could have been.

Drafting Jagr instead of Nedved. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

On the other hand though Nathan Lafayette was a pretty big guy that you left out. 

All I remember from Lafayette was this:

I tried 'shock therapy' to remove this memory but alas, I still wake up in the middle of the night & yell "dam n you Lafayette".:ph34r::lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 2

Never would have guessed that Hedican was heavier than Murzyn. 

What a team. I worked as a busboy at a club called Luv-a-fair at the time. The team used to come in now and then. Was such a treat, I'll aways remember those days. 

I had a cop show up at my door about a week after the riots. I had been identified by one of my neighbours ( ithink) from tv footage, that I was in the riots.

I wasn't . I told the cop how I was working that night at the club.and could get them about 500 people that would confirm that. 

• Vintage 2
  • There it is 1

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think that was slightly before Adrian Aucoin and Cullimore's time.  Oksiuta as well.

On the other hand though Nathan Lafayette was a pretty big guy that you left out.  I think he was six foot one measured with a lot of girth and a good looking body.

Haha yeah I left him out because he missed that open net to tie the game in game 7.....jk!!! I didn't add him in there because he was under 200lbs. But agree he could have made the list of big forwards. 

10 hours ago, RolexSub said:

Just looking back at the Stanley Cup Finals back in 1994!!! We were stacked with toughness and big forwards and we made it to the Stanley Cup Finals: 

Forwards:

Sergio Momesso 6.3 215lbs

Gino Odjick 6.3 224lbs

Tim Hunter 6.2 200lbs

Shawn Antoski 6.4 235lbs

Trevor Linden 6.4 220lbs

Roman Oksiuta 6.3 230lbs

Greg Adams 6.4 196lbs

Defense:

Adrian Aucoin 6.2 215lbs

Dave Babych 6.1 225lbs

Jeff Brown 6.2 204lbs

Jassen Cullimore 6.5 235lbs

Gerald Diduck 6.1 216lbs

Bret Hedican 6.2 210lbs

Dana Murzyn 6.2 208lbs

Jiri Slegr 6.1 210lbs 

How the game has changed so much with speed and skills now. Thought I share this video as it was quite to enjoy to watch the good old hockey days back then!! But it still hurts we lost in game 7...similar vs the Bruins. Twice we came so close in winning it!!

The strongest was Pavel, the greatest Canuck of those times. He crushed it with the weights and had absolute horse legs. I heard he had the greatest bench and squat.

No Canuck to this day has been faster than the Russian Rocket!

Could contain: Face, Head, Person, Portrait, Adult, Male, Man, Finger, Hand, Torso

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

Could contain: Boy, Child, Male, Person, Adult, Man, Head, Face, Ice Hockey, Skating

This is the display still of the video. I remember this play so vividly. It was Sergio Momesso taking a full 2 handed golf swing at Joey Kocur's ankles. Kocur saw it coming and was able to jump and avoid the chop.

If Momesso had connected he would have been suspended for a tonne of games. As it was I couldn't believe he got away without even an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 1