The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver/San Jose (No Myers involved)

San Jose is getting older, but doesn't have any youth to step in now.

To Vancouver: Filip Bystedt (C), Ganon Laroque (RHD)

To San Jose: Nils Hoglander, Johnathan Lekkerimaki, Jack Rathbone.

SJ gets two affordable players in Rathbone and Hoglander and gets a developing winger with skill.

Vancouver saves a little under $2 million on the Salary Cap. Clears some of the logjam on wing.

Gives us a quick, good skating centre with size and another big RHD defenceman.

Hog fans will hate it. Some might say we are paying too much. But I think that helps the team long term on two hard to fill positions.

Seems like the Sharks view Bystedt as likely their 2nd best prospect, behind Eklund.  If they want Lekkerimaki in order to build through the wing more I'd definitely say yes so we can bolster our center position, but the Sharks might want to keep him to see how he fares as a center prospect alongside Bordeleau, Smith and Eklund (since none of them are guarantees and they need guys to replace Hertl and Couture in the future, plus he was a Grier pick so there might be some inclination to keep him).

Rathbone might be of interest as a buy-low puck-moving D, since besides Thrun they don't really have a mobile puck-moving D to run the PP (most of their guys are defensive), but with their signings of Duclair, Zadina and the integration of Eklund/ Bordeleau I'm not sure how Hoglander adds too much, since he's also smallish.  Adding an RHD prospect could be useful, but with how admittedly limited my perspective of these Sharks guys are and how good Rathbone/ Hoglander could become by next season, it's tough to tell if it's even or if either team is getting a bargain.  I'd say yes to it if in IRL Allvin received this proposal and accepted it.

SJ is rebuilding I thought? I imagine they want to finish low in the standings so aging veterans for a couple years would seem fine to them. They can also start trading pieces to contenders for draft picks. 

I doubt they move their young prospects at this time. Hoglander I'm sure they'd like, but likely in a trade for a 26+ year old player on the roster and not a 19 year old.