The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Final piece to solidify defense

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

:lol:

On second thought, Myers is a decent option for the third pairing defenseman, especially under the tutelage of the present coaching staff. If they can get him to play to his strengths, of which his size is one, he'd be of value to the team. 

Not sure we will have much choice.  In the end, as long as he's off the PK, think he will do well with lesser competition in

a reduced role too.    Also like his post season game.   Would be great if we can watch some of that this season. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

:lol:

On second thought, Myers is a decent option for the third pairing defenseman, especially under the tutelage of the present coaching staff. If they can get him to play to his strengths, of which his size is one, he'd be of value to the team. 

Yeah exactly. There's no rush to move him, yet. Depending how the team plays and where we are in the standings come TDL. Plus, because of the fact he's playing for his next contract, has better coaching and should have a reduced role, I expect he'll be more of an asset this year, unlike last. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Not sure we will have much choice.  In the end, as long as he's off the PK, think he will do well with lesser competition in

a reduced role too.    Also like his post season game.   Would be great if we can watch some of that this season. 

For sure. I think Alvin realized that getting experienced and capable penalty killers was of paramount importance. If Myers can bring the physical play consistently, the team is better off for it. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

A 2nd.  Raymond, Ballard, and a 2nd.  Never forget our history.

Could contain: People, Person, Shirt, Face, Head, Neck, Portrait, Adult, Male, Man

No.!

It started out as a joke offer of Raymond, Ballard and a first  for some team's premier player and was often, for years restated as a "tongue-in-cheek" offer for just about any good player on another team.

The offer of a second/third line tweener, a replacement level defenceman and a late 1st round pick for a very good player was the proposal. I thought that it was quite funny.

No one believed that any competent GM would ever consider doing it.

Though there was the Anaheim equivalent with the Kesler trade. A second/third line tweener, a replacement level defenceman and a late 1st round pick.

After some years this joke somehow morphed into Raymond, Ballard and a second.

I now see both versions offered up as a bit of humour, but it was originally the late 1st draft pick.

• Cheers 1

For sure. I think Alvin realized that getting experienced and capable penalty killers was of paramount importance. If Myers can bring the physical play consistently, the team is better off for it. 

Yeah, and keep it simple stupid.

I do agree we are a top four D away from

a legit D-core (your OP).   Especially if we keep Myers and manage a winger trade.     Soucy and Myers as the third pairing would be a lot of fun to watch.  

• Cheers 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Proposal] Final piece to solidify defense
14 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The defense is a piece away from being considered legitimate. Alvin will have more options once next season ends when Myers and Cole are no longer on the payroll. Solidifying the top four makes easing in rookies far easier. 

St. Louis receives:

Conor Garland

Nils Hoglander

Jack Rathbone

Vancouver receives

Colton Parayko

Hughes Parayko

Soucy Hronek

Cole Myers

Hirose 

Vancouver does this because the players are serviceable yet are redundant here. 

St Louis does it because. Just because. 

Too much risk of being stuck with another anchor contract, would rather pay more for a younger asset. 

• Vintage 1

It feels like it is starting to look like we'll be keeping Meyers. 

Not the worst choice. Should be a fine 3RD and can play up in the top 4 if injuries hit. 

Maybe they get some offers on him, but otherwise unless we absolutely need the cap space this season, might be worth holding onto him.