The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Alex Edler Not Looking To Retire Yet

Rate this topic

RWJC

36 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe the Canucks reach out to him and see what he's looking for.   He still wants to play,  it makes the most sense he'd like to go for a cup.    His bank account can't be a factor at this time given what he took in LA.    We could do worse then Edler as a depth guy.   As far as sentiment goes, give him a one day deal so he can retire as a Canuck.   Or maybe sign him during the season if we get into injury problems on the left side, and even give him a shot.    Personally think if nobody else is giving a PTO, we don't have any business doing that either.  

I'd be down for that but I'm sentimental.  I liked it when Harold Snepsts came back home around 1988...and then the Canucks cut him loose again when he still had a couple years of decent NHL hockey in him.  Should have been a thousand games in the Canucks colors.

Anyway it would be nice to see an Edler return.  Not just one of those silly "nominal contract for one day" to retire when it's already over.  I watched Linden and Smyl get healthy scratched in droves at the end so I can handle it if Edler just plays 40 games or whatever.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Maybe the Canucks reach out to him and see what he's looking for.   He still wants to play,  it makes the most sense he'd like to go for a cup.    His bank account can't be a factor at this time given what he took in LA.    We could do worse then Edler as a depth guy.   As far as sentiment goes, give him a one day deal so he can retire as a Canuck.   Or maybe sign him during the season if we get into injury problems on the left side, and even give him a shot.    Personally think if nobody else is giving a PTO, we don't have any business doing that either.  

It'd be nice to see Edler retire a Canuck, but like Kevin said above, it'd be nice to see it happen properly 

I'd be chill with him 30-40 games if it came to that 

Hard to say what he wants regarding contention, maybe he just wants to keep playing NHL hockey

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'd be down for that but I'm sentimental.  I liked it when Harold Snepsts came back home around 1988...and then the Canucks cut him loose again when he still had a couple years of decent NHL hockey in him.  Should have been a thousand games in the Canucks colors.

Anyway it would be nice to see an Edler return.  Not just one of those silly "nominal contract for one day" to retire when it's already over.  I watched Linden and Smyl get healthy scratched in droves at the end so I can handle it if Edler just plays 40 games or whatever.

It still kind of bothered me that (imho) Linden still had some gas left in the tank.  Tied with Ohlund with the most posts on the team in his last post-season.  AV should've figured out a way to fit him on the roster.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

29 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It still kind of bothered me that (imho) Linden still had some gas left in the tank.  Tied with Ohlund with the most posts on the team in his last post-season.  AV should've figured out a way to fit him on the roster.

Yeah I was not happy with AV for all the healthy scratches.  I still think Trevor had a year left in him after that as a role player.  At one point Linden had been scratched 8 games in a row or something and the reporters were asking him about it.  He was being pushed to the limits of his diplomacy.  "Yep, ready to go."  (ready to go on the ice and play)

He was still the team's best penalty killer in his last season.  Hands and legs start to go but brains don't at that age.

• Cheers 1