The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Quinn Hughes as captain

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I also think JT was the clear best choice.

Just saying he was “antagonistic” to his teammates doesn’t make it true. He wasn’t. At all. Or even to the media. All of his interviews have been thoughtful and honest. I have no idea where these BS stories come from. Actually we do. From a few of the sports media personalities who need listeners.

In fact Vancouver has needed a captain like Miller for a long time . A natural leader, and an experienced veteran, with a passion for winning. Quinn as of right now, is not in the same league

Okay before the flames, I just had to get that out of my system.

i said previously in the thread that I’m 100% on board. Because it’s still a good choice. Any of the three would have been. And also it’s done and I have no choice but to support the team as they are. 

So I will find the positives

Quinn is younger highly skilled player. What if Miller play drops off in 3 years (I hope not!) but it’s possible. Quinn has a higher potential to keep the respect of his on ice play with his teammates (and other teams) for a longer period of time

This decision will most likely stop any ruminating about him leaving for NJ. And that would also have an influence on Petey sticking around.

Because he’s still young he will grow into his new role. It may push him to be more forward on the ice as well as the locker room. That edge that we admire in Miller we should see develop with this new responsibility. I expect a feistier Quinn on the ice

He seemed to really want it. That’s important. If it had to be a choice between three reluctant candidates that would not be great. He wants to lead. He, by all reports, is not afraid to call out his teammates. All to make his teammates rise to be as competitive as he is.

All in for Quinn!!!

Go Canucks Go!!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

28 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Just saying he was “antagonistic” to his teammates doesn’t make it true. He wasn’t. At all. Or even to the media. All of his interviews have been thoughtful and honest. I have no idea where these BS stories come from. Actually we do. From a few of the sports media personalities who need listeners.

In fact Vancouver has needed a captain like Miller for a long time . A natural leader, and an experienced veteran, with a passion for winning. Quinn as of right now, is not in the same league

You don't think JT having heated altercations on the ice with Schenn, yelling at a 3rd string goalie, saying he's doesn't give a *bleep* if the fans are showing they're upset about the teams struggles, and storming off the ice after making a mistake late in the period could be seen as antagonistic behavior?

Personally, I think it's fine if people wanted JT as captain, I can see the argument. I disagree whole heartedly and I'm very relieved he didn't get selected, but I can see the arguments why some wanted him. But saying he never once acted antagonistic is just being ignorant in my eyes. I'm sure the good far out weight the bad with JT in his leadership style, that's why he wears an A and was signed long term. But I don't know how you can say there was no red flags in his actions last year.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Wait.

Quinn once smiled at a friend on the ice?

Strip him! bastard. Useless...how could we make such a mistake...we'll never win!

Lol, I would highly suspect moments before that photo was taken, Tkachuk said something like "wanna drop em Hughesy" or something of the manner and they are having a laugh. Which yeah, would be pretty funny for a couple of kids who grew up together, and something most guys have probably said to their friends in their 20s to get a laugh.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Okay before the flames, I just had to get that out of my system.

i said previously in the thread that I’m 100% on board. Because it’s still a good choice. Any of the three would have been. And also it’s done and I have no choice but to support the team as they are. 

So I will find the positives

Quinn is younger highly skilled player. What if Miller play drops off in 3 years (I hope not!) but it’s possible. Quinn has a higher potential to keep the respect of his on ice play with his teammates (and other teams) for a longer period of time

This decision will most likely stop any ruminating about him leaving for NJ. And that would also have an influence on Petey sticking around.

Because he’s still young he will grow into his new role. It may push him to be more forward on the ice as well as the locker room. That edge that we admire in Miller we should see develop with this new responsibility. I expect a feistier Quinn on the ice

He seemed to really want it. That’s important. If it had to be a choice between three reluctant candidates that would not be great. He wato lead. He, by all reports, is not afraid to call out his teammates. All to make his teammates rise to be as competitive as he is.

All in for Quinn!!!

Go Canucks Go!!!

Excellent post and points! The Miller stuff is way overblown. He would have made a great captain. I agree that we've needed more than than nice and safe. 

But like you say, I'm finding the positives with Quinn. He has a great attitude, mindset, and doesn't mind the uncomfortable of the role. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Excellent post and points! The Miller stuff is way overblown. He would have made a great captain. I agree that we've needed more than than nice and safe. 

But like you say, I'm finding the positives with Quinn. He has a great attitude, mindset, and doesn't mind the uncomfortable of the role. 

Overblown or not bad optics with the stick smash on Delia, the sulking etc. he's fine as a vocal leader and Alternate but a bit too temperamental to be a full captain. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Overblown or not bad optics with the stick smash on Delia, the sulking etc. he's fine as a vocal leader and Alternate but a bit too temperamental to be a full captain. 

Everything is overblown in this market.  JT would be a perfect captain in a market that is looking for more media attention.  This market and especially media are so 'karen' like to begin with... Hughes is the best choice of the three.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Everything is overblown in this market.  JT would be a perfect captain in a market that is looking for more media attention.  This market and especially media are so 'karen' like to begin with... Hughes is the best choice of the three.

Myself I've always preferred even keeled leaders over reactive ones to begin with. But you are right with this market everything he does would be scrutinized 10x. He is a good leader though overall. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Well, we're really talking optics on a messageboard, which are a different set of dynamics, and more about fitting in and saying the right things. You know that. Lol

But ...

It was overblown completely. People just can't handle the uncomfortable. We need less safe and more uncomfortable if we want to win. Safe is predictable. I've been saying that for a long time.

After a slew of nice guys as captains, I felt we really needed to go in a different direction and do something different, even if it was uncomfortable. I still stand by that now.

In saying all that, I'm not opposed to Quinn. being captain. I see his positive attributes and value with the C.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, we're really talking optics on a messageboard, which are a different set of dynamics, and more about fitting in and saying the right things. You know that. Lol

But ...

It was overblown completely. People just can't handle the uncomfortable. We need less safe and more uncomfortable if we want to win. Safe is predictable. I've been saying that for a long time.

After a slew of nice guys as captains, I felt we really needed to go in a different direction and do something different, even if it was uncomfortable. I still stand by that now.

In saying all that, I'm not opposed to Quinn. being captain. I see his positive attributes and value with the C.

Agreed.

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Sorry that doesn't bother me at all.  I'm a little tired of the leaders we've had on this team since Linden.   I'm sure Miller would have toned his stuff down if asked.    A couple things and he's somehow not a good leader is a bunch of BS.   Or made a good Captain.  Aren't you a little bit sick and tired of watching guys walk down the tunnel with their heads held down?   Know Miller confused Delia but it wasn't like he didn't scream at it him to leave before starting to hit the net with his stick, and yes it was his mistake too, which you can bet he knew right away and was trying to help.   Got him moving didn't he?  Don't confuse pissed off for sulking either.   Better then smiling and saying "well there is is always next game".   Miller is the only reason this team isn't blown to smitherings.   If we kept that pick, I doubt we'd be talking about any of this right now.   JT Miller is both our curse and our saviour, without him i'm pretty sure both EP and QHs would be on other teams already.    They weren't ready.   And Horvat certainly wasn't going to score 99 points and put the team on his back. 

What the heck did EP do when Miller was keeping the team relevant?   Not enough.  

I don't think Miller was nearly as bad as things were blown into.   Nobody seemed to mind watching him name the starting lineup in the bubble.   And personally, i've been waiting a long time to see some sort of passion from this team.  Jovo was probably the last guy to show any like that, maybe Bieksa or Kesler as far as guys with obvious leadership goes.   Why can't we have good things and just appreciate it when we have it?    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

You don't think JT having heated altercations on the ice with Schenn, yelling at a 3rd string goalie, saying he's doesn't give a *bleep* if the fans are showing they're upset about the teams struggles, and storming off the ice after making a mistake late in the period could be seen as antagonistic behavior?

Personally, I think it's fine if people wanted JT as captain, I can see the argument. I disagree whole heartedly and I'm very relieved he didn't get selected, but I can see the arguments why some wanted him. But saying he never once acted antagonistic is just being ignorant in my eyes. I'm sure the good far out weight the bad with JT in his leadership style, that's why he wears an A and was signed long term. But I don't know how you can say there was no red flags in his actions last year.

Nope

• Cheers 1