The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

The heavy snowfall warning has been lifted for Greater Victoria.

Environment Canada has lifted its snowfall warning after a storm pounding the capital region since early this morning shut down schools and libraries and made road travel treacherous.

Planes and ferries continue to shuttle people off the Island while a majority of bus routes remain in operation.

Police say abandoned vehicles dot roadsides but traffic volumes are way down, making it easier for those who must drive.

"A significant amount of people are making it a snow day, which is quite helpful," said Saanich Staff Sgt. Mike Barkley.

"There's no real traffic issues we have to worry about," Barkley said at 10:30 a.m. "I'm not saying there isn't a few cars off the road or abandoned, but we'll wait for safer conditions before doing any tow-outs."

Victoria police are warning mototorists to stay off the treacherous and unpredictably slippery roads unless it's "absolutely necessary" to travel, said Const. Mike Russell.

http://www.timescolonist.com/Snowfall+warning+lifted+Greater+Victoria+after+storm+shuts+schools+makes+travel+treacherous/6014065/story.html#ixzz1jqsO3KwN

Actually your better with winter tires then with chains. In fact I think chains can be bad for them.

Oh, and I would put you in the "OK" category just make sure you stay right except to pass if you're going to drive under the speed limit.

I have winter tires, winter driving experience, 4x4 control, and ABS and being stuck behind people with inferior equipment is super annoying. If I tailgate you in the left lane it's for a reason, it's for you to move over and let me pass. Besides, what are they going to do, slam on the breaks in their all seasons? Big deal!

Tailgating is no different then people who stay in the left lane.

You guys are both idiots :picard:

• Upvote 1

Abbotsford experienced blizzard and white-out conditions with temperatures dropping to -20 and that was not considering the wind chill. School closures as well.

Abbotsford police are warning motorists in the municipality, which has been one of the hardest-hit by the winter weather, to stay home and off the roads due to extremely poor road conditions.

“In a general sense we are suggesting that people stay home today, with the winds and the cold out there ... if there is a discretionary choice to stay home we suggest they exercise it,” said Abbotsford police Const. Ian MacDonald.

White-out conditions have led to road and school closures in Abbotsford.

“We understand that parents are going to have to get their kids to and from school and get to work, but we are suggesting that if your car isn’t winter-ready with snow tires ... that it’s a better day to sit at home and stay warm,” the officer said.

“If people were looking for an opportunity to call in for a snow day, I think this week presents people with a few shots at it.”

MacDonald said there were reports of temperatures dropping to -20 with wind chill in some corridors. He said police had all dozen or so of its four-wheel-drive vehicles out patrolling the roads and helping motorists, including the department’s anti-gang Hummer.

Police closed a section of Whatcom Road Wednesday morning after an accident near Upper Suman Elementary school at around 9 a.m. involving two cars, one reportedly with summer tires. They also issued an alert for blowing snow and white-out conditions on Vye Road and Highway 11.

Three schools in the area, including Upper Sumas, were ordered shut at about 10 a.m., following police concerns about the viability of surrounding roads.

“The roads arond those schools were basically not passable. [Police] wanted the schools closed because they were going to close the roads, due to severe driving and weather conditions,” said Dave Stephen, spokesman for the Abbotsford School District.

Stephen said that few students had shown up for school anyway. Of those who were dropped off in the morning, most were picked up again by mid-morning. About 20 students whose parents couldn’t make it back were moved to R.W.A. Fraser middle school.

He could not say in advance whether the schools would be closed Thursday, but urged parents to check the district’s website at about 6 a.m.

It is the first time the district has closed schools this winter. Several private schools in the municipality were also closed.

Meanwhile, homeless shelters in the Fraser Valley have been seeing an uptick in people seeking emergency shelter due to the weather, and are making plans to let people stay indoors longer as temperatures plunge.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/shivers+through+cold+snap+snow+wallops+eastern+Fraser+Valley/6010716/story.html#ixzz1jr2c9kwt

Tailgating is no different then people who stay in the left lane.

You guys are both idiots :picard:

If I hit them then it's my fault. I won't hit them.Especially at 20-30km/h on a road posted for 70km/h. I have tires and breaks.

If I do hit them, which I won't, then by all means, call me an idiot.

Until then they should keep their unroadworthy cars parked!

This weekend is expected to get warmer on Saturday with Lots of Rain and +6 degrees but on Friday it could get messy i heard on the news this morning. they said we could get more snow in the morning then turning into Freezing Rain then solid Rain and getting Warmer dont know how much snow we will get just hope it dosent snow to much Friday Beacuse i have to work that day and i have to take transit.

David Booth just tweeted this pic from Cypress. What a beauty!

AjepdB4CEAA404U.jpg

Lucky guy! Well snow is snow and as long as it doesn't look all ugly when it melts

icon_cheesygrin.gif

Also find it pretty enjoyable to hear the snow crunching under your feet when you walk, really nice sound (but I HATE black ice... dry.gif)

Edited by TylerEnnis63

This weekend is expected to get warmer on Saturday with Lots of Rain and +6 degrees but on Friday it could get messy i heard on the news this morning. they said we could get more snow in the morning then turning into Freezing Rain then solid Rain and getting Warmer dont know how much snow we will get just hope it dosent snow to much Friday Beacuse i have to work that day and i have to take transit.

I used to love the snow, but seeing as how I need to commute to UBC everyday from Burnaby, I friggin hate it. Yaay for rain...for once. Don't have to wear my ugly winter jacket anymore too.

If I hit them then it's my fault. I won't hit them.Especially at 20-30km/h on a road posted for 70km/h. I have tires and breaks.

If I do hit them, which I won't, then by all means, call me an idiot.

Until then they should keep their unroadworthy cars parked!

Sooo arrogant...

There you were criticizing me... then I realized you're an idiot when it comes to driving. :picard:

"I guess its okay as long as I don't crash". Basically you're saying I'll tailgate until I crash... :mellow:

As I said before. I hate people who stick in the left lane as much as those who tailgate, both idiots.

The gondola ride up Grouse Mountain is absolutely terrifying. I went up there with my parents once because they insisted I see the view from up there, even though I don't even ski. But anyways the whole way up I just looked at the floor because I thought for sure it was about to snap and go crashing down and what a horrible death it would be smashing into the ground. Thank God it didn't happen and we did get to the top and the view was really amazing, I saw the whole city and mountains in the distance and everything. The advantage to Cyprus is of course you can drive not go up on a string while locked in a coffin.

It was a memorable experience though I'm glad I went even though I hate the cold, snow, snow sports except hockey.

The gondola ride up Grouse Mountain is absolutely terrifying. I went up there with my parents once because they insisted I see the view from up there, even though I don't even ski. But anyways the whole way up I just looked at the floor because I thought for sure it was about to snap and go crashing down and what a horrible death it would be smashing into the ground. Thank God it didn't happen and we did get to the top and the view was really amazing, I saw the whole city and mountains in the distance and everything. The advantage to Cyprus is of course you can drive not go up on a string while locked in a coffin.

It was a memorable experience though I'm glad I went even though I hate the cold, snow, snow sports except hockey.

You are a strange little man...:blink:

• Upvote 3