The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Burr stands up for the team whether you like it or not and, if you're mentioning Kesler, Torres and Lapierre, you probably don't like a gritty style of play I would imagine. Emotions happen in sports.

Don't forget that Boston also had the same stuff going on. But hey, it's your choice to be butthurt and resentful.

The Canucks getting blown out against Chicago many times, Boston, LA, SJ and Calgary in recent history is karma... I like gritty but not dirty play. I believe a big part of the losses was that Burrows, Kesler, etc. was pissing guys off and that made them come back at us harder and want to stick it to us. It made the refs want to stick it to us. Even if they have the talent I don't have respect for guys like Patrick Kane, Brad Marchand, Slava Voynov or Dustin Brown.

Emotion without scummy play was the run in 94. I enjoyed that a hell of a lot more than the embarrassing antics in 2011. 

The best hockey I've seen in the last 4 years was the Olympic games where team Canada put on clinics... none of that had anything to do with fighting or trash talking. 

The Canucks getting blown out against Chicago many times, Boston, LA, SJ and Calgary in recent history is karma... I like gritty but not dirty play. I believe a big part of the losses was that Burrows, Kesler, etc. was pissing guys off and that made them come back at us harder and want to stick it to us. It made the refs want to stick it to us. Even if they have the talent I don't have respect for guys like Patrick Kane, Brad Marchand, Slava Voynov or Dustin Brown.
Emotion without scummy play was the run in 94. I enjoyed that a hell of a lot more than the embarrassing antics in 2011. 

The best hockey I've seen in the last 4 years was the Olympic games where team Canada put on clinics... none of that had anything to do with fighting or trash talking. 

It's not called karma, it's called playing top teams at a professional level.  Puck luck, goaltending, officiating. 

And if the "refs want(ed) to stick it to us", then that's an issue because they're in place to administer the rules, not be the karma police.

I'm not sure why we should care who you have/don't have respect for.  Has nothing to do with the comment you made...which was you'd stand corrected.  You're doing a piss poor job of it.  Ain't got no time (or respect) for backtrackers.

Edited by debluvscanucks
  • Upvote 1

The Olympics was boring. That D core was so good the other teams had no chance. Boys against men.

So let's not skip this because you were so sure.

And, wrong. 

Kind of makes what you say/feel about Burr irrelevant because, in standing corrected, you've missed the mark.

Well I agree Tootoo is a pretty scummy player. Well no one is admitting to what is being said but consensus seems to be that it's pretty ugly even though it's not suspension worthy. Right now it seems to be like a republican debate.... nobody wins. Both Burrows and Tootoo are dirty players and both guys are on teams that aren't good enough to talk smack and back it up. 

First of all, the olympics is not the NHL. If you want the NHL to be like the olympics, then you might as well just cheer for the olympics and ignore the NHL.

Second, the fact that you don't like all of those players really tells me you really should take my first point into consideration and just ignore the NHL. It's not going to change, so either ignore it, embrace it, or keep crying about it and get mad at the world as a pessimist.

• Upvote 1

Well I agree Tootoo is a pretty scummy player. Well no one is admitting to what is being said but consensus seems to be that it's pretty ugly even though it's not suspension worthy. Right now it seems to be like a republican debate.... nobody wins. Both Burrows and Tootoo are dirty players and both guys are on teams that aren't good enough to talk smack and back it up. 

Actually, no.  Burr wins.

And again, this a piss poor job of standing corrected but it matters little.  The consensus is NOT that it was something pretty ugly...that's only what Tootoo says...everyone that matters has decided it wasn't.  And we'll move on with you having stood corrected, even if you're reluctant to do so. 

• Upvote 1

This is a bad example of someone 'Standing Corrected'. 

As it stands the only person who heard these alleged remarks is the only guy who could possibly benefit from them.

-There are microphones and ears every where...

-Cameras in the penalty box that routinely show heated interactions between players, if true, this sounds like it would have caught someone's attention...

-Officials inside the the penalty box...

You were 90% sure Burrows was at fault and yet the league has found no reason to move forward. However, here you stand...corrected. 

Edited by Canorth
  • Upvote 2

First of all, the olympics is not the NHL. If you want the NHL to be like the olympics, then you might as well just cheer for the olympics and ignore the NHL.

Second, the fact that you don't like all of those players really tells me you really should take my first point into consideration and just ignore the NHL. It's not going to change, so either ignore it, embrace it, or keep crying about it and get mad at the world as a pessimist.

you're absolutely right. I'm gonna ignore the NHL. It's too bad because I've been a fan of hockey and esp the canucks for a long time.   But like how people like soccer but wish FIFA would reform I guess hockey fans don't feel the same. Blind loyalty or get out... I choose to get out

you're absolutely right. I'm gonna ignore the NHL. It's too bad because I've been a fan of hockey and esp the canucks for a long time.   But like how people like soccer but wish FIFA would reform I guess hockey fans don't feel the same. Blind loyalty or get out... I choose to get out

No blind loyalty...the league ruled on this so don't make it about us, the fans here.

If you choose that this isn't the game for you, don't blame that on others.  Take from it what you will...there's a lot of good hockey in the NHL and all kinds of personalities involved.  Remember, these are people - individuals, so you can't expect them to all behave the same.  That's part of the beauty in it...you get the ultimate examples of class (Sedins) and you get other guys who embrace their roles as pests.  Burr is honest about it.  And there's something quite respectable in that.

Tootoo and Burrows are both trash... they're both dirty players and I don't care who's dirtier. Refs shouldn't make it personal but Burrows did himself no favours with his dirty reputation in the first place. I'd enjoy the Canucks a hell of a lot more if Burrows wasn't on the team.... it was mega bad when we also had Torres, Lapierre and Kesler... yes that was part of the cup final team but if they just stuck to hockey they would have won the cup or at least lost honourably. 

Tootoo is a "dirty player" Burrows is not. Unless you consider a potty mouth is "dirty". Look at their suspension histories. Its not even close. Burrows never even had a suspension before the Auger incident, during all those years when he was at the height of his grinder/trash talking best. Only after (surprise surprise) and none of them are of the vicious head-hunting/sucker punch type that Tootoo is famous for.

And lets just pretend for a moment that we live in your "Its a Wonderful Life" Burrless utupia.  We would have never had the only consistent third twin we have ever found. No way Henrik and Daniel ever win those scoring championships. No way we even get as far in 2011 without the Dragonslayer. And just missing his team-first, positive attitude, and relentless hard work ethic every game, not to mention his elite PK work on top his point production, us fans would have watched far less winning games, since this brain-dead thread was created.

• Upvote 1

And lets just pretend for a moment that we live in your "Its a Wonderful Life" Burrless utupia.  We would have never had the only consistent third twin we have ever found. No way Henrik and Daniel ever win those scoring championships. No way we even get as far in 2011 without the Dragonslayer. And just missing his team-first, positive attitude, and relentless hard work ethic every game, not to mention his elite PK work on top his point production, us fans would have watched far less winning games, since this brain-dead thread was created.

Not true. But I like your use of hindsight to further bolster your opinion.

Please do. We have more than enough trolls and simpletons on this board without you. But I'm sure you will be back soon with another username.

Auger's gone,  Burr's still here.  Kind of speaks volumes.

So what DID he say during that pre game skate?  "I'm cheering for you buddy/pal?".  I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.

All trash talking is classless...that's kind of the point.  But don't let that stop you from pinning it directly on Burr like he's the only guy to ever have participated.   I'd expect nothing less.

Hey Deb howsabout you stop putting words in my mouth. I NEVER SAID that Burr is the only guy to trash talk in the league. I just said that Burr is well known for his trash talk and I agree with you that trash talking is classless and, furthermore, I think all it does is wake up the opposition and make them play better. I guess you thought it was just fine for Burr and Kes to be talking trash about David Backes' wife (Kes' ex girlfriend) saying such classy things such as " she's a GOOD girl" (do I need to translate the meaning of this to you? Hope not). I didn't; I thought it was disgraceful and wouldn't have been surprised if Backes rammed his stick down Kesler's throat till it came out his behind (I would pay money to see the next face to face meeting between Kelly and Kesler. I hope she has a drink in her hand when it happens). I still like to believe that hockey is the classiest sport of all the major ones and crapola like trash talk embarrasses me as a hockey fan. If you MUST yap at the opposition at least be like Esa Tikkanen who at least left them rolling in the aisles.

P.S. I think you mean "pre game skate" where Auger says he told Burrows that "I'll be watching you"; understandable given the circumstances of the previous game where Burrows executed a gigantic dive that fooled Auger and cost Nashville the game. Of course you probably have an excuse for that as well just like you do for his biting, hair pulling etc.