The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You gave your today for our tomorrow

Starbug

My grandfathers both fought for the Allies in World War 2. One in Southeast Asia, Burma specifically, and the other in the North African campaign.

I'll be carrying one of the two's medals with me...in honour of him, his courage, his fight, and my freedom....and in that small way I hope to honour and remember all our grands, great grands and parents who have served and sacrificed for King and Crown, Queen and Country, Freedom and Family, or simply for Hearth and Home, whereever and whenever that may have been or is being done.

Thanks Grandad.

& Thanks to all of yours.

Royal_Indian_Army.jpg

New poppy quarter released.

circCoin.png

For the third time since 2004, the Royal Canadian Mint has issued a circulation quarter emblazoned with a red poppy in honour of Remembrance Day.

Similar to the coins released in 2004 and 2008, the new quarter bears the symbol of remembrance in place of the caribou and was developed in association with the Royal Canadian Legion.

"As Canada pauses to reflect on the meaning of remembrance, the mint is proud that the 11 million coloured 2010 25-cent poppy circulation coins now in circulation solemnly honour Canada's fallen, surviving veterans and active troops," said Ian E. Bennett, President and CEO of the mint.

The 2010 version of the coin has two red poppies positioned on either side of a Canadian soldier with his head bowed, and placed on a maple leaf backdrop. Only the poppies are coloured.

The first poppy quarter in 2004 was the first coloured circulation coin in the world.

The coin is one of several tributes to Canada's veterans and troops to be produced by the mint in 2010.

Last month the mint also released a limited-edition silver dollar featuring an enamelled red poppy, commemorating the passing of the last Canadian veteran of the First World War. This coin was limited to a worldwide mintage of 5,000.

John "Jack" Babcock died Feb. 18, 2010, after serving with the 146th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force at the age of 15 in 1917.

In the last year, the mint has also issued several commemorative coins honouring the centennial of Canada's navy.

http://www.canada.com/poppy+coin+introduced+Canada/3806046/story.html#ixzz14uOOiZFN

Also:

m1240167_111624_185.jpg

Written by a Canadian solider killed during his 2nd tour in Afghanistan.

I really hope this won't turn into a debate about the validity of being in Afghanistan. There are other forums for that. More I think it is interesting to hear the take that a person that has had both feet in the sand has to say and his view.

But also it is interesting that still to this day, even though troops over in Afghanistan can have access to the internet, that they still write poems. And I am willing to bet it was started with pen and paper.

My brother, sister and I are laying a wreath for my grandfather who passed this past August and was in WWII.

It's going to be a tough one as we used to go to services every year with him, this will be the first one without him there to enjoy a nice scotch with after :(

I encourage everyone to get out to services with their families and be thankful for the freedoms we enjoy and love we all share with our families.

Edited by J.R.

Remembrance Day services around Metro Vancouver.

Remembrance Day observances will take place in various locations throughout Metro Vancouver on Thursday.

- Vancouver

Victory Square (West Hastings at Cambie): Vancouver's largest Remembrance Day ceremony begins at the cenotaph at 10 a.m. with the mounting of the guard and Vancouver Bach Youth Choir. Ceremony continues through till 11:30 a.m. followed by a march-past along Hastings Street. Organized by the Vancouver Remembrance Day Committee.

C.R.A.B. Park at Portside: A 21-gun salute will be set off adjacent to the park beginning at 11:02 a.m. One round will be fired every minute from three 105mm Howitzers by members of the 15th Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery.

Memorial South Park (near main entrance on 41st Avenue at Windsor Street): A parade begins at John Oliver secondary school at 10 a.m., followed by a memorial service at the cenotaph at 10:30 a.m. Organized by the South Vancouver Veterans' Council.

Grandview Park: Due to park reconstruction this service will be located at a temporary cenotaph at the outdoor plaza at Britannia Community Centre, 1661 Napier St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m., parade begins at 11:15, heading south on Commercial Drive and past a temporary reviewing stand near Grandview Park cenotaph. Organized by Royal Canadian Legion No. 179

Japanese Monument at Stanley Park (near the Stanley Park Pavilion): Gather at 10:40 a.m. Sponsored by the Japanese Canadian War Memorial Society.

Vehicles displaying veteran licence plates will be exempted from parking fees in Vancouver park board-operated parking lots and parkades as well as at street meters and Easy Park lots throughout Vancouver today and Friday.

University of British Columbia, War Memorial Gym, 10:45 a.m.

- Abbotsford

Thunderbird Memorial Square, 10:30 a.m.

- Burnaby

Corner of Nelson Avenue and Imperial Street, 10:30 a.m.

Confederation Park, Willingdon Avenue, 10:30 a.m.

- Surrey

Cenotaph, 62nd Avenue, Cloverdale, 10:15 a.m.

- Coquitlam

1121 King Albert Ave., 10:30 a.m.

- Delta

Social Heart Plaza, 11415 84th Avenue, 10:30 a.m.

Ladner Memorial Park, 47th Avenue and Garry Street, 10:30 a.m.

- Langley

20570-56th Ave., 10 a.m.

- Maple Ridge

11960 Haney Place, 10:45 a.m.

- Pitt Meadows

Spirit Square Cenotaph, 12007 Harris Rd., 11 a.m.

- Port Coquitlam

Veterans Park, 2580 Shaughnessy St., 11 a.m.

- White Rock

Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 008, 1273 Fir St., 9:30 a.m.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Remembrance+ceremonies+Metro+Vancouver/3808822/story.html#ixzz14v8GtSho

each year , on remembrance day , I for one spend my whole day on the verge of shedding a tear or two , and as a grown man I'm proud to say this as I am so appreciative of what Canadians troops have done for me , you , and our great country... Putting their lives on the line to preserve our rights and freedoms, Such a proud feeling , to say I am Canadian!

Cheers to all who sacrificed and paid the ultimate price for this great nation!

each year , on remembrance day , I for one spend my whole day on the verge of shedding a tear or two , and as a grown man I'm proud to say this as I am so appreciative of what Canadians troops have done for me , you , and our great country... Putting their lives on the line to preserve our rights and freedoms, Such a proud feeling , to say I am Canadian!

Hear Hear.

And to all the men and women who sacrificed on behalf of us, everywhere....

12254a885fadccc3b.gif

+1

No partying, clubbing or any other disrespectful activities for me that on that day. Just a quiet day/night of reflection, walking around, watching documentaries and reading up some history, and being thankful for all who sacrificed their lives (and are still sacrificing) for us and our future generations.

How will everyone be commemorating the day tomorrow?

I'm really proud of the Canucks organization for opting to have everyone go to Rememberance Day ceremonies tomorrow rather than having a morning skate. I would love to attend in Ottawa someday. Being the nation's capital I think it would be very special.

Truth be told I have ice hockey tomorrow but i'll make a point to pause and reflect and will then go to a ceremony

+1

No partying, clubbing or any other disrespectful activities for me that on that day. Just a quiet day/night of reflection, walking around, watching documentaries and reading up some history, and being thankful for all who sacrificed their lives (and are still sacrificing) for us and our future generations.

Partying is disrespectful? Walking around is respectful?

I would think it's more disrespectful to pretend to care 1 day of the year instead of acting on that year round.

Don't know about you, but after parade tomorrow, I'm going to the local legion, drinking a few beers and listening to some crazy stories.

BINGO!

The Legion after the service is the place to be. Just for Noobs who haven't been before, take your freaking hat off when you go thru the door.

The thistle, shamrock, rose entwine

The Maple Leaf Forever

I love O Canada, but I always have a tear in my eye when I hear this and think of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for the maple leaf. Thank you to everyone who answered the call, and especially thank you to those who didn't live to tell the tale, you will not be forgotten.

Partying is disrespectful? Walking around is respectful?

I would think it's more disrespectful to pretend to care 1 day of the year instead of acting on that year round.

Ok, I guess I should be more descriptive....

Partying as in, "Three cheers for Grandpappy Joe, his friends, and all others who served! Cheers! Now a round of beer for everyone in the Legion Hall!" That's fine, since it's celebrating the veterans, soldiers and all.

But not, "Day off? Happy Remembrance Day Everyone! Lets party on!"

I consider that a "slap in the face" to those who served.

I'm not saying, "Oh hey, I'm right, you're wrong", just from my perspective, that's how I feel.

As for being respectful, I believe that veterans should get a special status, eg. free parking year round, no tax, and other special benefits. But that's just me.

The power of perspective and privilege

Players skip morning skate to honour those who paid the ultimate price for their luxuries

By Iain MacIntyre, Vancouver Sun columnist

e5a7c7e4e11df431722e1ce640bf_grande.jpg

OTTAWA – From rooms on the west side of the hotel where the Vancouver Canucks stay in Canada's capital, players can see from their windows the National War Memorial, although it is easy to miss.

Parliament Hill looms iconically behind it, home to the Senate and House of Commons and the Peace Tower clock. Next door, the Chateau Laurier hotel gleams at night like a castle palace. Across Wellington Street, between the Canucks' hotel and the War Memorial, is the Government Conference Centre, formerly Union Station and still magnificent in everything but name.

Amid this glorious triangle of Beaux-Arts and Gothic Revival architecture, the War Memorial stands humbly. But it is there. Players have looked at it. Few have probably really seen it.

They will now.

Believing there are things more important than hockey – yes, even Tuesday's 2-0 loss to the Montreal Canadiens – Canuck general manager Mike Gillis and coach Alain Vigneault have cancelled the usual morning skate in Ottawa and instead will walk with staff and players to the War Memorial to observe Remembrance Day.

For once, these National Hockey League millionaires have no special privileges. They'll merely gather in the hotel lobby, and walk solemnly with their poppies and thoughts to the cenotaph, joining the crowd of thousands who gather annually at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

They'll watch and listen, see wreaths laid near the tomb of the unknown soldier, see the faces of war's survivors and ponder the millions of lives sacrificed for freedom.

Perspective, Gillis believes, is a powerful thing.

"When you participate in the NHL, it's easy to lose sight of other things that are very important," he explained Wednesday. "It's good for everyone to have some perspective about life. If these guys can go and see the emotions and the interaction of veterans, it will be a healthy and lasting memory."

"We were all for it," associate coach Rick Bowness said. "Some things in life are more important than a morning skate."

The decision to attend today's ceremony was made during the Canucks' long flight Sunday between Vancouver and Montreal.

Bowness coached in Ottawa for four years but said the NHL schedule never allowed him to take the Senators, then an expansion team, to a Remembrance Day ceremony in the 1990s.

He did, however, take players to the Vietnam Memorial in Washington and once ordered the Senators' bus to stop in the forlorn neighborhood around old Miami Arena so players, who had everything, could see on the streets people who had nothing.

"I still tell these kids today that every day in this league is a blessing and never take it for granted," he said. "Appreciate how lucky we are, how fortunate we are, how well we're treated. We're here in Ottawa and it's Remembrance Day. Why not take advantage of this opportunity and let players share in the Canadian experience? It kind of puts things in perspective for everybody."

After their poorest game in three weeks, the Canucks play the Senators tonight in suburban Kanata, Ont. Attending an emotional Remembrance Day ceremony is highly unorthodox preparation.

Yet, players who were asked after Wednesday's practice seemed genuinely eager to attend.

"I think it's a special opportunity," centre Manny Malhotra, who is from Toronto, said as blood trickled from his lip due to a deflected puck. "You go through it in school, study it in history: What is Remembrance Day? But I don't think we can really grasp what those men and women went through. Compared to the rest of the world, we live in an incredible country. We had good childhoods without hardship. We live an incredible life. We should remember the men and women who gave their lives so we could have this life."

Winger Tanner Glass, who is from Craven, Sask., said: "Hopefully, we'll come back to the rink with a sense of all the things we have, how lucky we are. For me, when I think about the Second World War, I think about all the young men who were sent there. If there was a war today, that would be us. We would be the ones on the front line."

Canuck centre Ryan Kesler, who is from the Detroit area, has a better understanding than most players about war and what is at risk. His brother-in-law, Derek Evans, is preparing to be deployed to Afghanistan with U.S. Forces. Kesler said it will be Evans' third tour in the Middle East.

He said his grandfathers fought in World War II, but neither talks about the experience, even to Kesler's parents.

"I think it's important that we're doing this," Kesler said. "Hockey is not life and death. Some things are more important."

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz14zkg9DWP

Canada_Unknown_Soldier_Tomb2.jpg

Edited by Sharpshooter

Thought this was kinda cool:

I went to an informal hockey practice this morning. Players from a few teams were out there not really practicing drills or anything but just having a skate. At 11:11 one of the captains of the teams called everyone to centre ice. We removed our helmets and observed a moment of silence.

To all those who fought the good fight we remember you, and to all those who are fighting now we pray for you.