The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Also Federer beat Nadal 6-3 6-4 to advance to the finals. Closer and closer he gets to #1. If Fed wins here, and wins at Miami without Nadal getting to the finals, Fed will have the #2 ranking.

Edited by Toasta Brigger

Rebecca Marino is taking a break from tennis after battling both mental and physical fatigue which has kept her off the court longer than anticipated.

"Earlier this year, after suffering from intense physical and mental fatigue, I decided to pull out of some events and take a bit of a break to rest and return stronger," said Marino. "As the days went by and became weeks, I realized I would need more than just a few days to fully recover. I have decided to do what's best for my career and make sure I am fully rested before I return to the courts.

"Once I am ready to come back, I plan to pick up where I left off, get my ranking back and challenge the best players in the world."

After losing in the first round of the Australian Open, the Vancouver native pulled out of the Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Americas Zone Group I event in February, before returning in Memphis a few weeks later and losing in the opening round.

Recently, she withdrew from the WTA Premier events in Indian Wells, Miami and Charleston.

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=391526

That's too bad but also understandable.

She rose the ranks really fast and I'm sure the past year or so has been a bit of a whirlwind for her to suddenly have the pressure to perform and also to become a recognized athlete in her sport. I certainly understand the aspect of burnout so good on her for taking a break rather than pushing it too hard and putting in sub-par performances.

Hope the time away does her some good and that she's able to come back and regain her ranking.

• 3 weeks later...

Well now Tennis will be getting my undivided attention. Rafa destroyed Djokovoc 6-3 6-1 in the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters earlier today. That ended the streak of losing in 7 (?) straight finals to him.

HAHA omg those commercials were great. "I'm gonna crush you like a grape!"

Well now Tennis will be getting my undivided attention. Rafa destroyed Djokovoc 6-3 6-1 in the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters earlier today. That ended the streak of losing in 7 (?) straight finals to him.

Hopefully Djokovic can get right back to this winning ways. Rafa played great in Monte Carlo but Novak was also reeling after the death of his grandfather. Not taking anything away from Rafa because he was the better player but hopefully the loss by Novak was just a hiccup and not an indication of things to come.

Milos advanced to round of 16 at Barcelona today. For his efforts he gets to face 6th seeded 13th ranked Almagro who is playing at home on his favorite surface. I'll be happy if Milos can take him to tiebreaks and maybe sneak out with a set. A match victory is a tall order.

Raonic d Almagro 6-3 6-3

A massive result for Milos. Defeating the 13th ranked Spaniard Almagro in Barcelona on clay. A huge statement made today by Raonic. On to the quarters where he will meet Andy Murray.....

So awesome. I had to work all day with no internet, so was wondering what happened. Huge win for Milos. His first against a Big 4 player. Up against Ferrer in the Semis. The opponents just getting tougher, as Ferrer is a clay courter playing at home. Another early morning start so I should catch a bit before work. :)