The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

He's real close, this will be a big season for him. If all goes well he should be able to put up at least 25 points.

That video showed a few plays with Bill Sweatt, boy will he surprise a lot of people very soon.

Video package on Yann Sauve. Can see that he gets caught spinning a few times when the play is in close to his net, or isn't too clean-cut on clearing the danger zone in front of the net.

Great size, skating, point shot, hitting, fighting - just needs to hone his defensive zone play. The 2nd most NHL-ready prospect after Tanev in terms of development - #1 in being most physically ready for the NHL.

Nice video. Yann is developing quite nicely for us. He isn't great at any one thing but he is good all around, which is sometimes the best for a defenseman. He's physically mature than a guy like Connauton. I think he could be a regular not this year but next.

Needs to work a bit more on anticipating the play, especially against shifty forwards. That will probably come with time and experience though.

This. We need him to develop that mean streak again which seems to have been neutered out of him from playing in the Q.

Sweet vid.

• 1 month later...

I really think Yann will have a big year with the wolves and be a top pairing AHL Defencmen.He just needs to work on his offense hopefully he can get 40 points or more.

3G11A14P in 39 games last season after returning half way through the season from a concussion caused by a car accident. He was on pace for 29 points in a full 80 game AHL regular season.

And in comparison to the numbers put up by our supposed-most-offensive defenseman Kevin Connauton who was also in his rookie year (11G12A23P in 73 games - Sauve was on pace for 26 points in 73 games, with considerably lower amount of PP time than Connauton received last season), I would say that Sauve's offensive game is not too far off.

Seeing as he was close to 30 points in his rookie season while recovering from a serious injury at the beginning of his season, i would say that 40 points is within his reach, although he would have to work extremely hard to reach it.

For all we know, Sauve may even be the most NHL-ready prospect in our system right now. He has been physically ready for a couple years now - 6'3" 220lbs, hard point shot, skates fluidly, hits hard, fights admirably. The only thing holding him back is the ability to make the right play - something that Tanev holds which allows him to be successful at the NHL level despite his physical stature. If he can think the game like Tanev, that would automatically make Sauve our most NHL-ready prospect.

However, I don't think that is something that can be learned over the summer and I think he'll be starting in the AHL to further develop his game. I see him as the top pairing defenseman on the Wolves this year with tons of PP, PK, 5-on-5 minutes as well. I think he'll be paired up with Tanev as the top shutdown defensive pairing for the Wolves (Yes, I don't think Tanev will make our roster this year out of training camp - there, I said it).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow 12 PIM and a plus 2 :P

Well I like that!

I'm glad the Canucks are letting this guy find his own.MacT is a great coach for this guy to finish his development under. This is what patience does when coming to developing talent. To be able from draw within the club is a huge plus.Yann Sauve is going to be a good regular defenceman in the future.

I don't really follow prospects but how do you guys think he'll do in the NHL in the future? Will he be a solid 2nd pairing defensive defenceman? or just a 3rd pairing blueliner?

I say his potential is a solid 2nd pairing defenseman, he reminds me a lot of salo, (obviously not to his calibre) he also brings a little more to the table with his speed, he's very quick for his size.

I don't really follow prospects but how do you guys think he'll do in the NHL in the future? Will he be a solid 2nd pairing defensive defenceman? or just a 3rd pairing blueliner?

He has great mobility for his size, last year he was on pace for about 30 points over 80 games in the AHL, but he is more known for his defensive play. Since junior he has shown some flashes of having an offensive upside (15 points in 21 playoff games in on QMJHL, pace for 30 points last season), but it depends if he can ever become a consistent offensive threat if he wants to be a first pairing guy.

I am pretty high on Sauve, because at 6'3 220 pounds he can skate very well, and I think he will pair well with an offensive guy on a 2nd pairing in his prime.

He has great mobility for his size, last year he was on pace for about 30 points over 80 games in the AHL, but he is more known for his defensive play. Since junior he has shown some flashes of having an offensive upside (15 points in 21 playoff games in on QMJHL, pace for 30 points last season), but it depends if he can ever become a consistent offensive threat if he wants to be a first pairing guy.

I am pretty high on Sauve, because at 6'3 220 pounds he can skate very well, and I think he will pair well with an offensive guy on a 2nd pairing in his prime.

I like his physical presence. He could be the big, physical d-man that Van needs desperately.

Archived