The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

He's played in the NHL before playing in the ECHL.... not a good sign of development. I was really pumping this kids tires a little while back, and maybe it is Arniel hindering his development, but he's gotta claw his way back to the AHL.

In this particular case, I wouldn't worry too much. I think he got sent down to the ECHL for two reasons: his injury and the numbers game. He was out for a long time with an injury so it makes sense that upon his return he got sent down to the ECHL for a bit of conditioning but it just so happens that the Wolves also have a logjam at defense, especially with a guy like Andersson stepping up.

The fact is, Sauve actually looked decent when he was called up to the Canucks. His recent demotion to the ECHL doesn't change that and it's more circumstantial, rather than performance related.

I wouldn't worry about Sauve. He's taking the long way to the NHL, but when a player has the size and skating ability that Sauve has, there's a good chance he'll make it to the NHL.

What is keeping him back right now is his decision making IMO. He's gotta learn to make plays quicker and trust his instincts. That can be taught though, and that's what he's working on now.

In this particular case, I wouldn't worry too much. I think he got sent down to the ECHL for two reasons: his injury and the numbers game. He was out for a long time with an injury so it makes sense that upon his return he got sent down to the ECHL for a bit of conditioning but it just so happens that the Wolves also have a logjam at defense, especially with a guy like Andersson stepping up.

The fact is, Sauve actually looked decent when he was called up to the Canucks. His recent demotion to the ECHL doesn't change that and it's more circumstantial, rather than performance related.

It's 12 games now, a bit longer than your regular 'conditioning stint'. I used to watch every Wolves game before the NHL started back up, and I remember the rift between him and Arniel back in November. Despite his solid defensive play, Arniel and co. haven't exactly given Sauve the chance to shine down there. We're almost 5 years from his draft year, and he has only one full season of pro hockey - concerning.

It's 12 games now, a bit longer than your regular 'conditioning stint'. I used to watch every Wolves game before the NHL started back up, and I remember the rift between him and Arniel back in November. Despite his solid defensive play, Arniel and co. haven't exactly given Sauve the chance to shine down there. We're almost 5 years from his draft year, and he has only one full season of pro hockey - concerning.

True, we're probably past the point of a "conditioning stint" here with Sauve, but I still do believe he's suffering from the numbers game. The Wolves have two of their own defensemen whom we all know are their top priority in Mark Matheson and Brad Hunt. Next, you've got Derek Joslin, who the Canucks specifically signed to be a depth defenseman or a regular defenseman for the farm team. After them, Sauve is competing with a couple other quality Canucks prospects in Kevin Connauton, Peter Andersson and even Adam Polasek. I think Polasek is the key name here. I think Polasek was brought up from the ECHL when Sauve originally got hurt and he's played so well when in the lineup that the Wolves decided to send Sauve down when he got healthy, rather than send Polasek back down.

I do see your point though. If Sauve was progressing like he should, he would have forced the Wolves to make a decision on who else to scratch or demote instead of him. That said, you said it yourself, the coaching staff really isn't giving him a fair shake, especially given the level he's played at during his tenure in the AHL. We are all aware at this point of Arniel's handling in general of Canucks prospects (Climie starting 6 straight after just coming back from injury, including both games in a back to back, while Cannata sits on the bench). At the end of the day, I'm just not convinced that Sauve's demotion to the ECHL is indicative of his development. I simply think Arniel and Co. liked the mix they had on the blueline after Sauve went down to injury and decided to keep it that way, justified or not. I certainly think Sauve deserves a spot over Vandermeer and Polasek.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, speaking of Sauve, he had no points, 3 shots on net and a +1 rating for Kalamazoo today in a 4-1 win over the Cincinnati Cyclones.

Disappointing to hear the news of Sauve. He looked to be quite promising a number of years ago. Some bad luck and (what looks like) mediocre coaching seems to have stalled his career. Hope he can turn things around. It will take ++ character and hard work for him to bring his game to the level it needs to be if he wants another contract. Anyone know when his current contract is up?

Disappointing to hear the news of Sauve. He looked to be quite promising a number of years ago. Some bad luck and (what looks like) mediocre coaching seems to have stalled his career. Hope he can turn things around. It will take ++ character and hard work for him to bring his game to the level it needs to be if he wants another contract. Anyone know when his current contract is up?

I believe this is his last year

Sauve will sign with some other team, play a year in the AHL and we'll see him in the NHL in two, mark my words. He has been handled extremely poorly by this team (and for what reason who knows). He is a solid, stay at home dman with size who can skate, something every team wants. He is NHL capable and will make it, just not with us.

Bad move.

Sauve will sign with some other team, play a year in the AHL and we'll see him in the NHL in two, mark my words. He has been handled extremely poorly by this team (and for what reason who knows). He is a solid, stay at home dman with size who can skate, something every team wants. He is NHL capable and will make it, just not with us.

Bad move.

This is how I see Sauve as well. I have no idea what people who call him a bust have to base that on.....

This is how I see Sauve as well. I have no idea what people who call him a bust have to base that on.....

It's because of the criticism that's dogged him through his career since around the time he was drafted - his decision-making. We've seen it before this year with Chicago where he literally has to pass it off or throw it away at the last second while a forechecker is all over him. He's got the tools but the toolbox is questionable, and that's being honest.

Going by what I've heard, last year with MacT he played an efficient game and kept it simple to the point where he was looking like he could carve out a career as a 7th D-man or serviceable bottom pairing guy. This year - under Arniel - he's regressed and has gone away from that game. If he's to re-establish himself he's going to have to play that simple way again.

• 6 months later...

Archived