The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Polasek | D

b3.

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

History

2007-08: The blueliner split time between HC Vitkovice's U18 and U20 squads this season. He posted a combined three goals and five assists in 41 contests.

2008-09: Played for Vitkovice in the Czech U20 league. Posted 20 points in 38 games from the back line. Was a key part of the Czech U18 team at the World Championships, recording five points in six games. Drafted by the QMJHL's Prince Edward Island Rocket in the first round (19th overall) of the 2009 CHL Import Draft.

Polasek expressed to Hockey's Future a desire to play in the CHL next season.

HF's interview with Polasek from the 2009 U18s.

Ranked 52nd among European skaters by Central Scouting for the 2009 draft, and 120th overall by ISS (April).

2009-10: In his QMJHL season, Polasek played in 66 games for the Rocket. He scored 13 goals and added 28 assists for 41 points while also chipping in with 91 penalty minutes. Polasek registered no points in 5 playoff games.

Talent Analysis

Listed at 6'2, 187 pounds, Polasek looks bigger both on and off the ice. The Czech has a hard-hitting, and effective, approach to defense. But his skill should not be overlooked. He skates well, has a hard and accurate slapshot, and makes good reads. Polasek was steady and dependable in his own end and he could quickly read the play and make moves to intercept. Strong on his skates, the 18-year-old has plenty of room to grow

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/5750

Listed at 6'2, 187 pounds, Polasek looks bigger both on and off the ice. The Czech has a hard-hitting, and effective, approach to defense. But his skill should not be overlooked. He skates well, has a hard and accurate slapshot, and makes good reads. Polasek was steady and dependable in his own end and he could quickly read the play and make moves to intercept. Strong on his skates, the 18-year-old has plenty of room to grow

Listed at 6'1, 180 pounds, Adam Polasek looks bigger both on and off the ice. The Czech has a hard-hitting, and effective, approach to defense. But his skill should not be overlooked. He skates well, has a hard and accurate slapshot, and makes good reads.

At the recent U18 World Championships in Fargo/Moorhead, Polasek played on the top unit and on both special teams. He finished the tournament second on his team in scoring with five points in six games, and was the only Czech player on the plus side, at +1. Despite logging a lot of minutes, his play did not fall off as the tournament went on.

In the 2008-09 regular season, Polasek had 20 points in 38 games for Vitkovice Ostrava in the Czech junior league.

Polasek is young for the 2009 draft class, not turning 18 until July 12. And the U18s have helped Polasek's stock. ISS has ranked Polasek 120th on their April (post-tournament) list, and cited him as a riser.

"[Polasek] likes to rush the puck and has good hands that allow him to make good space for himself," ISS wrote. "He is able to block lanes well in his own end, but can get a little too focused on the puck at times. He logged a ton of minutes for the Czechs, especially in the late minutes of games, and was often matched up against other countries' top players."

Central Scouting has Polasek at 52nd on the European skaters final list (finished before the tournament).

Hockey's Future spoke to Polasek after a round-robin game at the U18s, his first time in the United States. Teammate Robin Soudek of the Edmonton Oil Kings translated.

HF: How do you like playing on the smaller ice as a defenseman?

AP: It isn't so hard, but in the defensive zone you don't have much time to make a good pass. In the offensive zone you have more time than in Europe. So it's not bad.

HF: Do you consider yourself more of an offensive defenseman or defensive defenseman?

AP: In Czech, I'm an offensive defenseman, but here at the tournament I have to play more defensively.

HF: Why do you have to be more defensive, is it what your coach wants?

AP: The opponents are better, so the coach tells us to play more defensively.

HF: But you scored a goal today.

AP: The goal I scored I shot from the blue line so it wasn't from an odd-man rush or anything like that. It was a defensive goal, so it's OK.

HF: If you make it to the NHL, do you think you will be more offensive or defensive?

AP: (laughs) If I would make it, I would see what the team wants and play my best.

HF: You laughed, do you think it's crazy that you'd make it?

AP: It's a small chance. We'll see what happens.

HF: But there's lots of scouts here today and you played well.

AP: Thanks. I hope someone saw me and will take me in the draft.

HF: Do you consider your slap shot one of your best assets?

AP: It's a plus, but I don't have so much time here, so if I can, I shoot.

HF: You also play physically, is that one of your best assets too?

AP: I like to be physical and it's no problem for me. I try to make a hit at all times on the ice. I like that.

HF: What do you still need to work on in your game to get better?

AP: I have to play quicker, like making passes. Work on everything -- skating, shooting, playing physical. I'm only starting my career.

HF: Your partner in the tournament is Jakub Jerabek, how do you like playing with him?

AP: I've played with him for a long time on the national team so I know where he is on the ice, and I like that.

HF: Have you talked to any NHL scouts this year?

AP: I haven't talked to anyone personally, but some have sent messages to my agent (Newport).

HF: Next year do you want to stay in the Czech Republic or try the CHL?

AP: I want to try the CHL.

HF: Have you talked to any CHL teams?

AP: Yes, but I can't remember which teams.

HF: Have you had any major injuries in your career?

AP: I had an operation on my left shoulder two years ago. I couldn't play for three months. That's the only one.

Sigh... disappointing draft for me.

The fact that Bieksa is still breathing in a Canucks uniform disgusts me. I would take a 7th rounder...

Please make it happen.

Wow, you're always so negative; we've made two solid picks with our 4th and 5th rounders, and I'm sure if there was a deal worth moving Bieksa for; it would have been done.

Stop being so glass half empty all the time.

Archived