The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

Hey Pinhead..............don't tell me to shut up. I have an opinion just the same as you. That was a bull play off the goal - should have been up the damn boards.

So, he got lucky and hit the net for once. he's being paid like a better than average d-man. He isn't playing like one.

He plays the best on his contract years only.

It's funny how the haters will categorize Bieksa's game tying goal as lucky, even though it wouldn't have been possible without his great effort at saving the empty netter. (this was right after a block on a previous empty net try by the AVs, a fact no-one has mentioned)

Meanwhile, the reversal to Hamhuis takes an extremely unlucky bounce right to Winnik, and it's a "brutal" giveaway. (I wish I could get emoticons to work on this new format, because this is where I would use "rolleyes")

Regarding the "contract year" bit, here's something that a lot of people seem to be missing: At the beginning of the season many CDCers were lamenting the loss of points from the back end that would be the result of letting Ehrhoff leave for Buffalo. Fast forward to the 2/3 point of this season and the totals are actually better.

Now those who watch Bieksa's game for reasons other than to post in this thread within a millisecond of his every mistake, will notice that he's taking far more chances in the offensive zone than he did last season. Coincidentally, his plus/minus is down, but his point totals are up. Considering the fact that Bowness continues to play Bieksa in both important offensive and defensive situations, I have to assume that this syle of play has been endorsed by the coaching staff.

It certainly worked out yesterday.

@CANUCKLION: Calling us "apologists" implies that Bieksa has something to apologize for.

He doesn't.

Defensive zone coverage is a responsibility of all 6 players on the ice .. too many times our coverage breakdown is the fault of forwards not fulfilling their defensive zone coverage, or poor goalie decisions i.e. not freezing the puck or steering the puck into a bad position .. when a defenseman gets the pucks and has no good option to outlet a pass they often make mistakes with the puck .. the great ones just slow the play down and keep the puck in a safe place i.e. the corner .. Lidstrom does this a lot .. Bieksa makes mistakes .. all D-men do .. Bieksa is one of those defensemen that can make-up for their mistakes after thru an offensive or "fistic" response .. as Deb said .. he is "heart and soul" .. where as Canucklion is more like the "tin-man" in the Land of Oz .. :P

Excellent point re: the goalies, T.

There were three or four instances yesterday where Louie gave the puck right back after a save, forcing the D to do some extra work. When in doubt, freeze it. That's why we have one of the best faceoff teams in the league.

It's funny how the haters will categorize Bieksa's game tying goal as lucky, even though it wouldn't have been possible without his great effort at saving the empty netter. (this was right after a block on a previous empty net try by the AVs, a fact no-one has mentioned)

Meanwhile, the reversal to Hamhuis takes an extremely unlucky bounce right to Winnik, and it's a "brutal" giveaway. (I wish I could get emoticons to work on this new format, because this is where I would use "rolleyes")

Regarding the "contract year" bit, here's something that a lot of people seem to be missing: At the beginning of the season many CDCers were lamenting the loss of points from the back end that would be the result of letting Ehrhoff leave for Buffalo. Fast forward to the 2/3 point of this season and the totals are actually better.

Now those who watch Bieksa's game for reasons other than to post in this thread within a millisecond of his every mistake, will notice that he's taking far more chances in the offensive zone than he did last season. Coincidentally, his plus/minus is down, but his point totals are up. Considering the fact that Bowness continues to play Bieksa in both important offensive and defensive situations, I have to assume that this syle of play has been endorsed by the coaching staff.

It certainly worked out yesterday.

@CANUCKLION: Calling us "apologists" implies that Bieksa has something to apologize for.

He doesn't.

'An extremely unlucky bounce" ??? That's an apology for a bone headed play, if ever there was one. Luck had nothing to do with it, his behind the back, blind pass attempt, under pressure, in his own zone, in an other teams rink is quite simply, stupid.

Like Finn said he should have put it up the boards or off the glass, or even if he did his usual, 'ice the puck' move, the result wouldn't have been so certainly disastrous.

'An extremely unlucky bounce" ??? That's an apology for a bone headed play, if ever there was one. Luck had nothing to do with it,  his behind the back, blind pass attempt, under pressure, in his own zone, in an other teams rink is quite simply, stupid.

Like Finn  said he should have put it up the boards or  off the glass, or even if he did his usual, 'ice the puck' move, the result wouldn't have been so certainly disastrous.

Right. And if he rang it around the boards right to the Avs d-man, you'd still be talking about a "boneheaded move".

No comments on the rest of my post? Surely you're skewed version of reality can come up with some way to refute it....

.... Coach.

Right. And if he rang it around the boards right to the Avs d-man, you'd still be talking about a "boneheaded move".

No comments on the rest of my post? Surely you're skewed version of reality can come up with some way to refute it....

.... Coach.

Negatory

Contrary to popular belief i actually did play the game and up the boards WAS the play.....just get it by the Av's defenceman - that's the play there.......not THAT!!

Negatory

Contrary to popular belief i actually did play the game and up the boards WAS the play.....just get it by the Av's defenceman - that's the play there.......not THAT!!

Actually, I'm not denying that it was a bit iof a risky play. I'm just pointing out the fact that you and CANUCKELION would find something to slag Bieksa about no matter what he did.

The difference between you and me is, I can acknowledge a bad play, but you and your ilk never acknowledge a good play.

Whether you want to admit it or not, Bieksa's actions yesterday directly resulted in two points that the Canucks would otherwise not have gotten.

I could care less if he was on pace for 60 points, the amount of mistakes in his own end isn't worth it. I would love to see his +/- if he wasn't on the PP or paired with Hammy.

It's like being impressed with the amount of points Mike Green puts up, doesn't mean much.

1 - You don't get a + on the PP

2 - During the 18 games Hamhuis missed last season Bieksa was a + player while paired with Rome.

Negatory

Let us know when you make the NHL. It wouldn't surprise me if half the adults on this board have played the game. So saying you played is meaningless.

Goal.jpg

Do you see where Bieksa was trying to play it? Do you see how easy a breakout it would be? This is a play behind the net you see all the time. In this case it simply took a very unfortunate bounce.

Let us know when you make the NHL. It wouldn't surprise me if half the adults on this board have played the game. So saying you played is meaningless.

Goal.jpg

Do you see where Bieksa was trying to play it? Do you see how easy a breakout it would be? This is a play behind the net you see all the time. In this case it simply took a very unfortunate bounce.

As they say .. the stanchion giveth and the uneven boards taketh away .. or some such .. good point, Bilbo .. that play happens 10-15 times a game without a turnover ..

Huh? Weber makes 7.5 mil this year, Bxa makes 7 mil. A half mil is a hell of a lot to you or I , but not for a pro athlete. Bxa is the highest paid Canuck this year as you well know.

Oh and his cap hit @ 4.6 is the highest among the Nuck Dmen, so he is as elite-ly paid as it gets on the team. All that for a small, slow guy, who can't play D, has a weak shot and serves up brain farts for breaky.

Front loaded contract. Learn what that means. AND, Bieksa's is not a decade long contract with cap reducers at the end like some deals. *cough* Ehrhoff *cough* Luongo *cough*

Weber has a one year atritrated deal with a $7.5m cap hit, what's Bieksa's cap hit again? Yes it's higher than Hamhuis. But it was also signed a year after when the cap limited went up. Maybe you haven't noticed, when the cap goes up salaries follow. If you really want to be upset about a cap hit Ballard is a much better target. Bieksa's is far lower than he would have recieved on the open market.

Funny how Bieksa gets ragged on by some for the one play that the opposition make a nice play on and Luongo fails to help out Bieksa to swat a easy puck away then bieksa goes on to basically win that game for us late in the game showing what he's really made of.

Meanwhile Edler gets caught out of position which causes a two on one against and a shot off our post in the first couple minutes which could have easily had us down 1-0 and clearly gets caught wondering out of position on the Avs pp goal and i bet nobody on this website even mentioned it.

Bottom line is Bieksa is a all around great player for this team bringing several key assets to the table that help the team and anyone who doesn't see that doesn't know sh!t as far as i am concerned.

Funny how Bieksa gets ragged on by some for the one play that the opposition make a nice play on and Luongo fails to help out Bieksa to swat a easy puck away then bieksa goes on to basically win that game for us late in the game showing what he's really made of.

Meanwhile Edler gets caught out of position which causes a two on one against and a shot off our post in the first couple minutes which could have easily had us down 1-0 and clearly gets caught wondering out of position on the Avs pp goal and i bet nobody on this website even mentioned it.

Bottom line is Bieksa is a all around great player for this team bringing several key assets to the table that help the team and anyone who doesn't see that doesn't know sh!t as far as i am concerned.

Once a player has been turned on, some will only watch for their mistakes. They'll grossly exagerates the guys "poor play" while ignoring anything positive. Of course the players they like they'll focus on the positive while completely ignoring their mistakes.

I am always criticizing Edler as well. He is a similar type of player as Bieksa. Both have great offensive potential but have brutal defensive breakdowns. Bieksa way more then Edler.

Spot on for the post.

I watched the game after it was finished as it was middle of the night my time. I had seen the YouTube of Bieksas save and goal ad when I saw the great play on Galiardis attempt I was like "WTF no one even mentioned that" and it was moments before his save.

That was an absolutely fantastic shift. Legendary and something that will be talked about years from now.

I am always criticizing Edler as well. He is a similar type of player as Bieksa. Both have great offensive potential but have brutal defensive breakdowns. Bieksa way more then Edler.

Bieksa plays the top lines from other teams. I would expect the best players on other teams from time to time to "breakdown" our d.

Put Edler in that position and he will be just as "bad" maybe more.

Bieksa plays the top lines from other teams. I would expect the best players on other teams from time to time to "breakdown" our d.

Put Edler in that position and he will be just as "bad" maybe more.

Exactly. The fact is Bieksa gets some of the most significant ice time this team plays, and we were the #1 team last year, and we are 3rd so far this year. I don't think that would be possible if Bieksa was as bad as some of the people here suggest. You can't be that high up in the league if one of your top-pairing d-men is bad. No matter how good his partner is.

Exactly. The fact is Bieksa gets some of the most significant ice time this team plays, and we were the #1 team last year, and we are 3rd so far this year. I don't think that would be possible if Bieksa was as bad as some of the people here suggest. You can't be that high up in the league if one of your top-pairing d-men is bad. No matter how good his partner is.

It's really quite simple if you look at it from the other side.

Do people love the sedins/kelser? The answer is yes.

Why do they love the sedins/Kesler? The answer most likely is because sedins/kelser are very good players who score goals and get assists helping us win.

Do the sedins/Kesler play against the other teams 3rd pairing D because the other team puts out their 3rd pairing D against them? The answer is no.

Do our opponents put down their top defensive guys against the sedins/Kesler? The answer is yes.

Why? To try to stop the sedins/Kesler from scoring and leading us to victory.

So, the sedins are playing against the other teams top dmen yet they still manage to score.

Quite clearly there is a crisis in the NHL of very bad top dmen. Because somehow they are all getting scored on.

Hockey is a game of mistakes. As much as Bieksa may make mistakes he ain't making that many that he's getting scored on all the time. Even playing against the "Sedin-like" players of other teams.

I just laugh, sometimes.

Considering the top-tier forwards Bieksa plays against every night, if they never made him look stupid once in a while, how the hell would other teams ever win?

If Bieksa were as good as everyone seems to want him to be (unrealistic expectations), we'd never get scored on.

:picard:

Archived