The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

Not a good night for Bieksa.

Worse night defensively for our forwards, particularly the Sedins. Pinching D-men could not count on getting help from the forwards and the backcheck neglected the trailer a bunch of times.The most glaring example was the first Phoenix goal where Daniel completely ignores the trailer and the puck ends up in the net. At that point of the game I really felt we had Phoenix on the ropes and we let them off.

The entire defensive system seemed off last night as the team pushed to produce.

• 2 weeks later...

So after a 4 game hiatus Bxa returned to the line up, and returned to his brutal style of play, too bad eh.

Here was what Jason Botchford had to say..."If there was an unsung player award, and there is, Hamhuis should win in a walk. Not only has he upped his offense, he’s spent most of the year cleaning up Kevin Bieksa’s messes.

If there’s better defencemen at playing the 2-on-1, there arent’ many of them."

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/04/06/canucks-hat-trick-pp-crisis-gragnani-useless-and-hamhuiss-excellence/

So after a 4 game hiatus Bxa returned to the line up, and returned to his brutal style of play, too bad eh.

Here was what Jason Botchford had to say..."If there was an unsung player award, and there is, Hamhuis should win in a walk. Not only has he upped his offense, he’s spent most of the year cleaning up Kevin Bieksa’s messes.

http://blogs.theprov...iss-excellence/

Botchford is an idiot. He knows little or nothing about hockey as do you. Hamhuis is good, his job is to allow Bieksa to pinch, take chances etc.. When you are the "offensive" D-man you are going to be in more vulnerable positions.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/04/06/canucks-hat-trick-pp-crisis-gragnani-useless-and-hamhuiss-excellence/

Can you please explain to me how when people use stats to try to prove you wrong, you say the stats are skewed, and then you come back and provide someones opinion as if it really means something significant?

The Province had been running a post game report card of sorts, by player for each game this season. Surprise, lol, the big revelation is that Bxa is no stud, Here is the recap and the info on Bxa.

2. Kevin Bieksa has a lot to prove this spring. He was a revelation as the team’s defensive leader in last year’s playoffs, but the nickname “Contract-year Kevin” returned when his game slipped drastically this season in the wake of his new five-year, $23-million deal. If the Canucks are to win it all this year, he’s the player who has to raise his game the farthest.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/04/08/bieksa-has-the-farthest-to-raise-his-game-for-playoffs/

Problem is Bieksa is trying to live up to expectations when he signed the big contract last year. In doing so, he trying to be more offensive this year. He pinches in and take more chances offensively than ever before and gets caught out of position most of the time. His offensive skills are not good enough to play that style. He's is not an elite offensive d-man that can finish on most offensive plays. When he plays outside of his comfort zone, he becomes a detriment to the team. He should stick to playing what he knows is his comfort zone and that is defence as his offensive skills are just average for a d-man.

Bieksa is playing to instructions. When he moves up someone else covers. Where it has fallen down slightly is the mix 'n match formations at the back which is designed to sharpen everyone up but can lead to the odd faux pas.

Problem is Bieksa is trying to live up to expectations when he signed the big contract last year. In doing so, he trying to be more offensive this year. He pinches in and take more chances offensively than ever before and gets caught out of position most of the time. His offensive skills are not good enough to play that style. He's is not an elite offensive d-man that can finish on most offensive plays. When he plays outside of his comfort zone, he becomes a detriment to the team. He should stick to playing what he knows is his comfort zone and that is defence as his offensive skills are just average for a d-man.

I totally agree with your point about Bieksa trying to live up to his new found wealth. He does try to do too much, at times, and this sometimes hurts the team. His +12 this season, as compared to his +32 last season, is evidence of this. Interesting that Bieksa's points increased by 20 and his +/- decreased by 20... Hmmmm...

I disagree with the fact that KB3's offensive skills "are average for a d-man", however. His 44 points is well above average. It is actually 13th out of 297 defencemen, according to NHL.com's stats.

Bieksa, in my eyes, is worth the salary he is being paid based on his contributions, on and off the ice.

:towel::canucks:

Disagree. I think playing KB3 more offensively this season is a move that was calculated by the coaching staff.

Everyone knew that with the departure of Ehrhoff, the offense from the back end was going to have to come "by committee" this season. I think Juice has been allowed to take more chances this season in an effort to bump up his offensive production over last season. Hammer has been covering for him because that's the way it was drawn up.

And it's worked. Yes, his +/- is down, but his point totals are up. Ahead of guys like Letang, Keith, Jack Johnson, Gonchar and Doughty. Maybe those aren't "elite" numbers to you, but I'd say it's pretty good.

Ask yourself this: If this wasn't a planned move by the coaching staff, why did they not have Juice revert to playing his 2010-2011 style? It's pretty obvious to me that no such attempt has been made this year. I believe the team has decided to live with a few defensive lapses this season in exchange for increased production. This incidentally is what was done with Bieksa early in his career when the team struggled to score at all.

It's the kind of season that had the no minds claiming that Bieksa "only plays well in a contract year". Now that he's playing the way he did back then, the complainers are doing a 360 and stating that they want the shut-down Bieksa back, even though they were all whimning about his lack of offense at the time.

The Province had been running a post game report card of sorts, by player for each game this season. Surprise, lol, the big revelation is that Bxa is no stud, Here is the recap and the info on Bxa.

2. Kevin Bieksa has a lot to prove this spring. He was a revelation as the team’s defensive leader in last year’s playoffs, but the nickname “Contract-year Kevin” returned when his game slipped drastically this season in the wake of his new five-year, $23-million deal. If the Canucks are to win it all this year, he’s the player who has to raise his game the farthest.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/04/08/bieksa-has-the-farthest-to-raise-his-game-for-playoffs/

Province blog. Just puked in my mouth a bit

So I guess your acknowledging the part that says he was the teams defensive leader last playoffs too right?

Archived