The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

8 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Nice work Jacobson. I like that guy. Plays an honest game. 

I agree and really solid, versatile midfielder. I see why he's in the lineup. Defends well, makes good clearances, and makes clutch tackles. Nice assist on Waston's goal. He's starting to come around quite well which is great to see. Parker scored a 3rd goal to seal the win. Great match played overall

2 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

I agree and really solid, versatile midfielder. I see why he's in the lineup. Defends well, makes good clearances, and makes clutch tackles. Nice assist on Waston's goal. He's starting to come around quite well which is great to see. Parker scored a 3rd goal to seal the win. Great match played overall

I think it was a tremendous goal line save.... with Montero popping it on right after. 

I was hoping that Waston would get the hat-trick, lol. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I think it was a tremendous goal line save.... with Montero popping it on right after. 

I was hoping that Waston would get the hat-trick, lol. 

Yeah but from the replay here at home, it looked liked it was just over the line. Oh well a goal's a goal. Montero was there to make sure it was in for sure. We defended brilliantly today imo and couple good saves by Ousted. Waston was a beast and I was pulling for him to get the hatty as well. It's all good as he had a great match. 

Edited by Beary Sweet

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2017 at 2:35 PM, CaptainCanuck001 said:

Davies became a Canadian citizen today, and was also called up to the 40-man Gold Cup sqaud.

Davies played very well for Canada.  Could have easily popped in like 3-4 goals.  

He drove towards the goal, drawing a PK which should have won the game for Canada (instead it hit the post, out of bounds, quick toss back into play and eventually scoring anyways).

A quick question as I'm not a soccer expert..... why doesn't Davies play striker?  I would assume that his presence would force defenders to be more cautious of his speed, thus opening up the midfield, etc.  

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Davies played very well for Canada.  Could have easily popped in like 3-4 goals.  

He drove towards the goal, drawing a PK which should have won the game for Canada (instead it hit the post, out of bounds, quick toss back into play and eventually scoring anyways).

A quick question as I'm not a soccer expert..... why doesn't Davies play striker?  I would assume that his presence would force defenders to be more cautious of his speed, thus opening up the midfield, etc.  

I really think Davies isn't playing striker because he has such great pace, speed, skill, shot making ability that he can be a good creator for his teammates as well and checks off everything that you want from a winger. One day when he becomes a more consistent goal scorer, he will eventually become a no.10. For now, I think it's best to not pressure the kid and let him develop and improve on his game

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Lenarduzzi should be replaced, but ownership is the biggest limiter. 

I would rather they keep him on-board.... just so ownership can't just get rid of him and claim that they are "doing something".

Lenarduzzi, Robinson.... they can only do so much with the limited resources they have.  The Whitecaps could hire Sir Alex Fergurson to take the reins, but the quality of the team won't be changing drastically. 

I'm just wondering who is actually in charge of the ownership for the Whitecaps.  I know there's a quartet of owners, with Steve Nash being the very minority stakeholder (he's rich... but not a billionaire).  Jeff Mallett and Steve Luzco seems to be very wealthy... but they just seem to be "investors".... so that leaves Greg Kerfoot.  He's obviously rich... but not rich enough to warrant a page in Wikipedia.... but it's been estimated he has about $2 billion... with the total ownership group having about $4 billion.... tiny by sports team standards.  To put things into perspective....

TFC is owned by MLSE which is only valued at $1.5 billion... but the owners of MLSE consists of Rogers, Bell and Kilmer Sports.... they have lots of spending power.

NYCFC.... same company as ManCity and ownership group consists of members of the royalty and nobility in the UAE, etc.  So they're super wealthy.

LA Galaxy is owned by AEG, once of the largest sports business in the world.  AEG owns the LA Kings, a couple of minor league hockey teams, a couple hockey teams in Europe and were an initial investors in MLS... as in they used to partially own all the teams in MLS.  They also own and operate the Staple Center and few other sports arenas internationally.  AEG is worth about $10 billion.... not including the other parties related to the company. 

Sounders.... one of the owner, Paul Allen himself has a net worth of $20 billion..... and they have a few other owners as part of the group too.

For all intent and purposes... until the Whitecaps are able to have some new owners or someone who can really throw money around... they will always be a peripheral playoff team at best.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I would rather they keep him on-board.... just so ownership can't just get rid of him and claim that they are "doing something".

Lenarduzzi, Robinson.... they can only do so much with the limited resources they have.  The Whitecaps could hire Sir Alex Fergurson to take the reins, but the quality of the team won't be changing drastically. 

I'm just wondering who is actually in charge of the ownership for the Whitecaps.  I know there's a quartet of owners, with Steve Nash being the very minority stakeholder (he's rich... but not a billionaire).  Jeff Mallett and Steve Luzco seems to be very wealthy... but they just seem to be "investors".... so that leaves Greg Kerfoot.  He's obviously rich... but not rich enough to warrant a page in Wikipedia.... but it's been estimated he has about $2 billion... with the total ownership group having about $4 billion.... tiny by sports team standards.  To put things into perspective....

TFC is owned by MLSE which is only valued at $1.5 billion... but the owners of MLSE consists of Rogers, Bell and Kilmer Sports.... they have lots of spending power.

NYCFC.... same company as ManCity and ownership group consists of members of the royalty and nobility in the UAE, etc.  So they're super wealthy.

LA Galaxy is owned by AEG, once of the largest sports business in the world.  AEG owns the LA Kings, a couple of minor league hockey teams, a couple hockey teams in Europe and were an initial investors in MLS... as in they used to partially own all the teams in MLS.  They also own and operate the Staple Center and few other sports arenas internationally.  AEG is worth about $10 billion.... not including the other parties related to the company. 

Sounders.... one of the owner, Paul Allen himself has a net worth of $20 billion..... and they have a few other owners as part of the group too.

For all intent and purposes... until the Whitecaps are able to have some new owners or someone who can really throw money around... they will always be a peripheral playoff team at best.  

Good read and well said

11 hours ago, Lancaster said:

From

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/25/mls-team-payrolls-2017/

"MLS player salary information was released this week by the MLS Players Union. The compiled data shows that Toronto FC is again the highest spending team in MLS, with more than $22 million in total compensation paid.

The Rapids ranked 10th in total spending, according to the figures, at $8,040,619.

Rank Club Base Salary Compensation
1. Toronto $20,153,697.00 $22,478,565.27
2. NYC FC $17,370,525.68 $17,930,365.69
3. Orlando $12,382,053.80 $13,219,199.70
4. Chicago $12,272,624.00 $12,952,278.17
5. Los Angeles $9,768,662.64 $12,117,892.11
6. Portland $9,294,532.04 $10,824,144.54
7. Seattle $9,052,852.89 $10,372,300.48
8. Atlanta FC $7,958,612.04 $8,930,754.26
9. Vancouver $7,040,366.08 $8,079,371.07
10. Colorado $7,254,748.75 $8,040,619.75
11. Real Salt Lake $7,156,440.44 $7,734,355.44
12. Philadelphia $6,516,876.00 $7,117,010.10
13. San Jose $6,429,566.00 $6,959,287.11
14. New York Red Bulls $6,313,982.00 $6,895,186.17
15. Columbus FC $6,345,232.48 $6,747,544.99
16. Kansas City $6,365,856.00 $6,730,358.78
17. FC Dallas $5,690,579.28 $6,510,760.94
18. New England $5,406,993.25 $5,800,118.33
19. Minnesota United FC $4,926,046.04 $5,322,864.55
20. DC United $4,812,135.44 $5,272,447.94
21. Montreal $4,995,921.08 $5,215,855.89
22. Houston $4,837,899.98 $5,025,066.65
23. LA FC $118,008.00 $118,008

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

MLS is a (relatively) low-budget league.  The Caps owners wouldn't have to spend that much more to be one of the top five payroll teams in the league.  But the money, as always, would have to be spent wisely.

• Upvote 1