The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

So wasteful in possession after the red. Just blasting it without looking.

Couldn't agree more. O'Brien and Rusin pumped the ball up the field too many times without attempting to make a pass. YP Lee and Rochat are obviously more comfortable with the ball at their feet. Darren Mattocks seems to have a mental block atm. He's got lots of potential. But eventually, he'll have to start converting some of these for Caps to get the W.

Great games from Reo-Coker, YP Lee. Manneh deserves lots fo credit. His inexperience was evident. But the goal was taken with such calm and poise. Once his confidence grew, he became harder to stop.

Usually, I don't criticize opponents for diving. Every team has players that do it. But FC Dallas took it to a new level and I was annoyed. A win would have been the ultimate justice.

RSL 2 Whitecaps 0

What a surprise - the Caps have trouble scoring. Some nice build-ups that result in absolutely nothing. Very frustrating to watch. That's nine goals in nine MSL games.

So the Caps are stumbling and bumbling thru the season thus far. The Canucks are down 2 - 0 in their series. The Blue Jays are imploding. When does the Lions season start?

RSL 2 Whitecaps 0

What a surprise - the Caps have trouble scoring. Some nice build-ups that result in absolutely nothing. Very frustrating to watch. That's nine goals in nine MSL games.

So the Caps are stumbling and bumbling thru the season thus far. The Canucks are down 2 - 0 in their series. The Blue Jays are imploding. When does the Lions season start?

Good post! Tough spring so far. At least the weather has been nice. ;)

Hoping the Caps can turn it around. Need Kenny Miller back.

Whitecaps 3 LA 1

Whitecaps win a MLS game!

Whitecaps beat LA!

Whitecaps score 3 goals in a MLS game!

This is unchartered territory, folks!

A good (and necessary) win. Who would have thought the play of the game would be Kobayashi spraining his ankle and having to be replaced by Russell Teibert. Give the kid credit, he took advantage of his opportunity. And how refreshing to see a Caps player being able to finish his chances.

Mattocks gets a goal that maybe gets him started & a terrific game by O'Brien and Reo-Coker.

But it was important that they won today because their next three MLS games are away games in Portland, New York and Seattle and they have two Championship series games against Montreal. All tough games. But worry about them when they come and let's enjoy the win for the next couple of days.

Whitecaps 3 LA 1

Whitecaps win a MLS game!

Whitecaps beat LA!

Whitecaps score 3 goals in a MLS game!

This is unchartered territory, folks!

A good (and necessary) win.  Who would have thought the play of the game would be Kobayashi spraining his ankle and having to be replaced by Russell Teibert.  Give the kid credit, he took advantage of his opportunity.  And how refreshing to see a Caps player being able to finish his chances.

Mattocks gets a goal that maybe gets him started & a terrific game by O'Brien and Reo-Coker.

But it was important that they won today because their next three MLS games are away games in Portland, New York and Seattle and they have two Championship series games against Montreal.  All tough games.  But worry about them when they come and let's enjoy the win for the next couple of days.

I think it also bears pointing out the great play that Koffie made on the second goal....

...but once again, brutal marking on the one LA goal...

Edited by RUPERTKBD

I think it also bears pointing out the great play that Koffie made on the second goal....

...but once again, brutal marking on the one LA goal...

Koffie did make a nice play and it was good to see some chemistry between the Caps' offensive players. Too often the goals seem to be single-player performances. Can you imagine a give-and-go goal between, say, Camilo and Mattocks? I have a hard time doing so. Too often many of the midfielders and forwards seem out-of-sync with one another, as if they're on different teams.

As far as LA's goal, I thought Cannon looked flat-footed on it.

It was by no means a dominating performance by the Whitecaps. In fact, hands up whoever thought, after LA scored, that the Caps were going to blow it by giving up a second goal? I know I did.

But what the heck, it was a win, so I'm going to enjoy it.

Koffie did make a nice play and it was good to see some chemistry between the Caps' offensive players.  Too often the goals seem to be single-player performances.  Can you imagine a give-and-go goal between, say, Camilo and Mattocks?  I have a hard time doing so. Too often many of the midfielders and forwards seem out-of-sync with one another, as if they're on different teams.

As far as LA's goal, I thought Cannon looked flat-footed on it.

It was by no means a dominating performance by the Whitecaps.  In fact, hands up whoever thought, after LA scored, that the Caps were going to blow it by giving up a second goal?  I know I did.

But what the heck, it was a win, so I'm going to enjoy it.

I agree with all of those points.

In fact, I was shocked when Mattocks put it away...

Whitecaps 0 Montreal 0

Not a bad result for the Caps, all things considered. I didn't think either team seemed all that interested for the first 75 minutes or so. One or two chances at either end, but marked mainly by some very careless challenges by the Impact. But then it seemed as though the Caps decided that a scoreless draw was something to protect. Which seemed odd to me. You're playing a style that has held your opponents scoreless for 75 minutes. What could be better, defensively? But then, in the last 15, you change the style, drop most of your players back, and let your opponents turn your end of the field into a shooting gallery. Yes, it worked. This time. But man, the Impact looked awfully dangerous in those last 15 minutes. I really don't understand that type of change to a "defensive strategy" when what you had been playing had been working so well.

Anyways, get Montreal back here in a couple of weeks, score a couple of goals and win on your home turf, and move on.

Whitecaps 2 Portland 2

That's too bad. To allow a late goal like that and throw away two important points in the season.

So about a third of the way through the season and the Caps are 3-4-4. Somehow they seem like a better team than their record indicates.