The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

I thought Mattocks had played pretty well in all three games - good effort. The problem is that, for whatever reason, the mid-fielders can't seem to get him the ball. The problem lies more in mid-field than it does with Mattocks.

But I like the idea of starting both Manneh and Mattocks. I think Robinson has held off starting Manneh because he was injured during the preseason and still isn't fully fit.

I concur with the point about the midfield, but even when he gets the ball in a good spot he seems to struggle with putting it on net, he's got good pace and is decent with the ball but his finishing has really taken a nosedive.

Let's see - the long ball didn't work against Chivas last week. So let's try it again this week, especially since there's a stiff breeze blowing which makes it even more difficult.

Interesting strategy.

Same 'old from last year.

No playmakers in midfield + speedy forwards = long balls. I was hoping the new coach would change this a little, but apparently not.

Same 'old from last year.

No playmakers in midfield + speedy forwards = long balls. I was hoping the new coach would change this a little, but apparently not.

Yeah, the last two games have been very discouraging on that front. The changes brought in should have a degree of effect on the issue, and they showed the potential they needed to in that first game. Whether or not they can channel that type of flowing play on a more consistent basis, because what they showed on the road in the last 2 weeks was devoid of that.

In particular, the game against New England looked horrible until Morales came onto the field in the second half. The offence wasn't particularly great afterwards, but there was at least something there. That first half on the other hand looked to be played by a bunch of people that seemed to be thrown onto the field together for the first time. There was zero chemistry.

I hope Carl Robinson was being genuine about wanting to play this season with a lot of creativity and flair coming out of the midfield, because if we see more of this long ball play, we're going to be in for a long season.

As it stands, getting two draws on the road, regardless of who you were facing, is not a bad thing. Discouraging play aside, they didn't come out home empty handed. It's just up to them now to put on a show for the fans at home like they did earlier. Robinson is new at this, so let's see what it takes for him to get what he wants out of his players.

I'm not too concerned right now about the last couple of games.

Quite honestly, that first game probably set expectation a bit too high for this point in the season. The team is trying to switch to a ball possession type game where there's lot's of link-up between the back line, defending midfield, attacking midfield and strikers.

The problem is that the type of link-up game we want to play takes a lot of chemistry between players and you have to keep in mind that we have a lot of new faces in that midfield area. Morales in particular just got into town days before game 1 and just needs time to settle into things and get to know his new teammates. The Uruguayan's are in the same boat.

I think game 1 was a taste of things to come with these new midfield players and that once they settle into their new home and workout the kinks, we'll see a pretty nice style of soccer from this team. Think of the style of high possession teams like Barcelona and hopefully that's what we'll end up seeing more often here as the season goes along.

incase you were wondering about the black arm bands in todays match...

RIP Shawn Kuykendall

This weekend, you'll notice a streak of black on the Dynamo's orange and white kits as they face the Vancouver Whitecaps.

All Dynamo players and coaches, along with teams around the league, will be wearing a black armband on Saturday in honor of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, who recently passed away after his battle with an extremely rare form of Thymic Carcinoma. Shawn's wish was that his story could in some way help future cancer patients, specifically those fighting pediatric cancer. Thus, The Kuykenstrong Foundation was created to help the families of pediatric cancer patients.

The black armbands, which feature The Kuykenstrong Foundation and Soccer Kicks Cancer logos, recognize Shawn and this enduring legacy that he leaves behind.

http://www.houstondynamo.com/blog/post/2014/03/28/dynamo-honor-former-mls-player-weekend

sp-kuykendall_0211384872371.jpg

• Upvote 2

An entertaining game that could have gone several ways.

That Houston defender, Horst, seems to be a mean sob. Pretty big and pretty careless with his elbows. Don't know what happened between him and Morales but I wasn't impressed with Horst yelling at Morales as Morales lay on the ground.

Don't want to jinx anything, but after four games I think the reffing has been quite good. Other than that questionable red card against Chivas, which benefitted the Caps, I really can't think of any bad call in any of the games. Which is more than could be said in previous seasons.

I swear, every Whitecaps game that I've watched they've won. The only time they lost with me watching was when I went to see them live against Man City and even then they almost won that one too.

I guess I should watch more games.

I swear, every Whitecaps game that I've watched they've won. The only time they lost with me watching was when I went to see them live against Man City and even then they almost won that one too.

I guess I should watch more games.

• Upvote 1

So I tuned it a bit late and see that I got my wish: Koffie had his first start of the season. (although I'd have to say that he didn't really blow me away)

I thought NRC needed a break, but I didn't expect to see him in civvies...

Was he hurt, or was it just a game off? (with zero chance of coming off the bench)

Edited by RUPERTKBD

So I tuned it a bit late and see that I got my wish: Koffie had his first start of the season. (although I'd have to say that he didn't really blow me away)

I thought NRC needed a break, but I didn't expect to see him in civvies...

Was he hurt, or was it just a game off? (with zero chance of coming off the bench)

I saw in the paper that he suffered a concussion after tripping over the bikes in the weight room..

Watching Mattocks out there can be pretty frustrating. He's shown a real lack of finishing ability, and when he was finally able to pounce on an open net goal, he got himself lazily and unnecessarily offside to negate it.

I like to see him buzz around out there, but he needs to complete his game. I'd really rather have someone else out there.