The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The 2011-12 Chicago Wolves Thread

b3.

Connauton or Granani  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You sound like a fifteen year old girl. YOU NEVER LET ME HAVE ANY FUN!

My goodness... Do you know how many defensemen we have on the Wolves right now? Also, two more playing in Sweden who could potentially make the jump next year and one in the collegiate ranks? Erixon was expendable (and Ellington was even more so)

Hodgson for Kassian is a developed prospect for another (slightly less) developed prospect so I don't even know how it factors in to this kind of a statement.

Where's Grabner at these days? 15g 10a? 25 points in 61 games.

C'mon guys, I still believe Ballard has potential. You see it in spurts here and there when he beats everyone down the ice. I think Gillis brought in somebody that has the potential but he's just lazy. I think he has the makings of a good offensive defenseman, but until he decides to do it himself, he'll never get there.

You can blame Gillis for acquiring someone with that attitude, but Ballard is the one who is satisfied being mediocre.

And geez, follow the Wolves a little more and you'll realize our Prospects go far beyond Hodgson and Grabner.

I believe this is what we can expect with the drafting strategy of taking the "best player available". I still think it is the best way to go because you can get the most value out of our prospects. Think about if we really picked the guy we needed at the 2008 draft: Kyle Beach. He has played a total of 8 games this year in the AHL, put up numbers that are worse than Kassian and even within the Chicago organization has "caused more grief to their organization and raised more questions" than any other prospect that they have. I think we did the right thing in making the roster changes that we needed to in order be harder to play against and a part of that is exchanging value for value to create a complete roster.

Part of me wishes that we traded him for a solid right sided defenseman though. But, I think they didn't go this route because they liked what they saw in Tanev and felt more comfortable playing him in the playoffs than they did Cody. Therefore, it is Tanev's play that made Cody expendable because of if Tanev wasn't ready to step up than we would of made a move for a defenseman. I can't blame them for thinking this way either because Cody would of been more than likely a defensive liability in the playoffs and would of been picked a part by the other teams coaches over a 7 game series. As of now, we have less holes defensively across the lineup and I think this is what they were going for. Is it perfect? No, but I think we're better off than before.

Sanford, why not take it one step further? You have no idea if our current roster players will be with us in a year, so why not stop following them too? That'll save your hockey fan heart being broken and then you won't have to binge eat to make the pain go away.

In the end, it's up to you to decide what level of involvement you want as a fan. Some people are happy with following the current players. Some want to know about the up and comers. Still others want to track even the retired players and see what they're doing. And then there's the people who clearly are so fed up with things they really shouldn't be on a team that's tops in the league that they have stopped watching altogether.

You can guess which one I hope you fall into if this is the attitude you have.

I believe this is what we can expect with the drafting strategy of taking the "best player available". I still think it is the best way to go because you can get the most value out of our prospects. Think about if we really picked the guy we needed at the 2008 draft: Kyle Beach. He has played a total of 8 games this year in the AHL, put up numbers that are worse than Kassian and even within the Chicago organization has "caused more grief to their organization and raised more questions" than any other prospect that they have. I think we did the right thing in making the roster changes that we needed to in order be harder to play against and a part of that is exchanging value for value to create a complete roster.

Part of me wishes that we traded him for a solid right sided defenseman though. But, I think they didn't go this route because they liked what they saw in Tanev and felt more comfortable playing him in the playoffs than they did Cody. Therefore, it is Tanev's play that made Cody expendable because of if Tanev wasn't ready to step up than we would of made a move for a defenseman. I can't blame them for thinking this way either because Cody would of been more than likely a defensive liability in the playoffs and would of been picked a part by the other teams coaches over a 7 game series. As of now, we have less holes defensively across the lineup and I think this is what they were going for. Is it perfect? No, but I think we're better off than before.

here's the official longpre announcement:

The Chicago Wolves have traded forward NATHAN LONGPRE to the American Hockey League's Springfield Falcons in exchange for future considerations.

LONGPRE paced Wolves rookies with 8 goals and ranked second among team first-year pros with 18 points in 39 games this season.

The 23-year-old forward set a career-high and led the team with 42 points (14G, 28A) in 33 games as a senior with Robert Morris University (AHA) last year. The Peterborough, Ontario, native also made his professional debut in eight games with the Worcester Sharks, posting one assist and four penalty minutes.

http://www.chicagowolves.com/releases/2977-wolves-trade-longpre-to-springfield

You aren't buying that Hodgson isn't going to take time from a Selke winner and an Art Ross winner? You aren't buying that?

Give it a rest, whiner. To 'not buy' something so obvious makes anything else you have to say utterly worthless. Go study hockey a while. Go whine to people who aren't smart enough to realize how out of touch with reality your whining is.

Grabner a top 6? No. Never, not on a strong team. Not even on a weak team. He has a consistent 2:1 ratio of goals to assists. That is a huge issue. He doesn't use his linemates well and on any team other than the weakest handful in the league he wouldn't make the top 9. He sucks. He won't have a long NHL career. He is virtually a bust and the Canucks did well getting something for him rather than letting him go on waivers, which would absolutely have happened because of his one way contract. If you actually followed Grabner you would be aware of that. You would be aware that any top 6 player could be expected to get 18 assists just by properly advancing the puck. How can any player justify getting 36 goals and 18 assists? Its disgusting how know-nothings like you whine about seeing a selfish player moved, one who doesn't properly use his linemates deserves to be moved.

Think more, whine less.

I mean should we? First we traded Grabner for Ballard who is nothing short of a complete bust... Grabner who was just showing glimpse of being that top 6 guy. Hodgson who we developed for almost 4 years... that I myself amongst other fans followed him every step of the way... From posting his points in a game with Brampton... posting almost every interview, goals, Moose games.... and finally NHL games... And for what?

So Mike Gillis can piss away our most promising prospects so other teams can reap the rewards?

I'm completely pissed right now. I'm not going to bother following another prospect until I know that he has made the team. It's a complete waste of my time.

I know I'm not developing Hodgson myself... but I got to say I've INVESTED A LOT of TIME and effort on him. I'm not going to continue this crap anymore and see my harvest get eaten by crows.

If you think Burke was much worst in getting rid of picks... at least he didn't develop the prospects first for 4 years to trade them away for mediocrity....

What has Mike got to show for his 4 years of drafting? No one is on the team... only Hodgson was and NOW HIS GONE!

Bring back my Hodgson!

I mean should we? First we traded Grabner for Ballard who is nothing short of a complete bust... Grabner who was just showing glimpse of being that top 6 guy. Hodgson who we developed for almost 4 years... that I myself amongst other fans followed him every step of the way... From posting his points in a game with Brampton... posting almost every interview, goals, Moose games.... and finally NHL games... And for what?

So Mike Gillis can piss away our most promising prospects so other teams can reap the rewards?

I'm completely pissed right now. I'm not going to bother following another prospect until I know that he has made the team. It's a complete waste of my time.

I know I'm not developing Hodgson myself... but I got to say I've INVESTED A LOT of TIME and effort on him. I'm not going to continue this crap anymore and see my harvest get eaten by crows.

If you think Burke was much worst in getting rid of picks... at least he didn't develop the prospects first for 4 years to trade them away for mediocrity....

What has Mike got to show for his 4 years of drafting? No one is on the team... only Hodgson was and NOW HIS GONE!

Bring back my Hodgson!

Weekly Wolves update from @ggooglyboogly over at Nucks Misconduct:

Taylor Ellington – Taylor is an ECHL level player who was called up for one game prior to being dealt into the Columbus system (ironically it’s not far he has to move as Columbus has their ECHL affiliate in Chicago), he was essentially a throw into the Pahlsson deal, so no huge effect for the Wolves in this deal

Sebastian Erixon – Sebastian is a talented D-man, a work in progress, and a potentially solid NHL prospect, however, he was having trouble getting ice time in the deep Wolves lineup. There were rumors that he was unhappy to start the season and his old team in Sweden was reeling and asking for his services again. We lose some defensive depth here, but this is a nice trade for Sebastian as he’ll likely get regular minutes in Syracuse (Anaheim’s AHL Affiliate).

Nathan Longpre – This one hurt a little bit, I was high on Nathan from the minute he debuted this season. He was in Canucks camp and eventually was signed to a contract by the Wolves for this season. He was just one of those guys you liked to watch on the ice, always skated hard, had seemingly pretty good hockey IQ and was productive with 18 points in 39 games. He was officially traded to the Springfield Falcons (Columbus AHL Affiliate) for "future considerations", which basically means "nothing", and it’s basically believed to be another throw in for the Pahlsson deal.

Byron Bitz – Canuck nation already knows why people love Bitz wherever he goes, but it was essentially a numbers game up in Vancouver and we’ll happily take him back in Chicago. With the amount of time he was away from the game he still needs a little more seasoning at the AHL level, but I think he’ll catch on as a 4th line regular somewhere next season, until then, I’ll enjoy watching #32 in Chicago.

Andrew Gordon – Coming back from Anaheim in the Erixon deal was Andrew Gordon, a nice sized winger who’s spent more time in the NHL this season (37 games) than the AHL (19 games). From what I’ve read, he’s a grinder whose style wasn’t quite working in the NHL but should fit in nicely in Chicago. Wolves GM Wendell Young is said to have been after Gordon for a few seasons now so that’s always a good sign.

Archived