The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Luongo really meltdown in the playoffs?

rkoshack

You guys forget how bad the D coverage was in those games, It was brutal. Wouldnt be the last time either.

The last few months of the season last year and the playoffs was attrocious. Our best D-men were Eye humping the puck and leaving their assignments wide open. And holy crap they should have replaced Grags with any midget AAA player. Outstanding goaltending from BOTH goalies was the only reason We finished as good as we did.

In order to win vs boston our goalie has to get like 4 shutouts in a row, Has that ever happened before? Doubt it.

Mark my words, Fans will be running schneider out of town for the same crap in a few years. Canucks fans have short ???? memories....

You guys forget how bad the D coverage was in those games, It was brutal. Wouldnt be the last time either.

The last few months of the season last year and the playoffs was attrocious. Our best D-men were Eye humping the puck and leaving their assignments wide open. And holy crap they should have replaced Grags with any midget AAA player. Outstanding goaltending from BOTH goalies was the only reason We finished as good as we did.

In order to win vs boston our goalie has to get like 4 shutouts in a row, Has that ever happened before? Doubt it.

Mark my words, Fans will be running schneider out of town for the same crap in a few years. Canucks fans have short ???? memories....

I don't get why everyone keeps repeating "we ran Luongo out of town" and that we're "ungrateful".

- The vast majority of people I see on these forums and talk to in real life say they think Luongo is the best goalie we've had since Kirk McClean. I know I appreciate the work he has done.

- We've tried to win with Luongo for 7 years now, with no luck. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again while failing. It's time to move on.

- Luongo is ageing and his contract is fairly hefty. The salary cap will be lowering quite a bit in a year and we have another, younger, potentially elite goalie who has been waiting his turn for years to be a starter.

So no, I don't think the fans are ungrateful and I don't think Luongo is being run out of town. It just makes sense for the team (having tried him for several years) and for him personally (he could use a change of scenery to re-ignite his career) to move on. It's best for both of them.

well Detroit scored 17 goals in the games, Boston scored 23 1 was an empty net so 22 in 7 games. Really not that much of a difference, Pittsburgh scored as many goals in games 3 and 4 as we did in the entire series against Boston. Are you still not getting it yet? You can talk about save % all you want the fact is Luongo would have needed 4 shutouts for us to win we averaged 1.14 goals a game, yet somehow you keep bringing up his save % like it was the problem lol

You are not getting it... who even wins games with a save percentage of .800 or lower. It doesn't happen. Yes the offense sucked big time too. But quit ignoring the fact that Lui sucked big time in all the losses.

This is the key.

2012 - Los Angeles - 0.877 save%

2011 - Boston - 0.891

2011 - San Jose - 0.931

2011 - Nashville - 0.933

2011 - Chicago - 0.903

2010 - Chicago - 0.897

2010 - Los Angeles - 0.893

2009 - Chicago - 0.879

2009 - St. Louis - 0.962

Lu's overall playoff stats these last few years look decently because of some very good series against St. Louis, Nashville, and San Jose. However, it's clear that each of the times we lost, goaltending was a large part of it. Sub-.900 isn't acceptable for a "franchise goaltender".

And I don't buy the whole "it doesn't matter if we lose 2-1 or 8-1" crap. If your team is in it, they're going to push extra hard to get the next goal. But if they are already pretty much out of the game because their goaltender let in 3 in the first 8 minutes of the game, they're not going to bust their injured butts just to make it more respectable.

Fact of the matter is, since the 2006-07 playoffs, the Canucks never lost a series where Luongo let in less than 10% of his shots. You'd think that if he is really as consistently amazing as his supporters claim, we would rarely lose a series under those circumstances. However, he saved 90% in less than half of the series we have played.

This is the key.

2012 - Los Angeles - 0.877 save%

2011 - Boston - 0.891

2011 - San Jose - 0.931

2011 - Nashville - 0.933

2011 - Chicago - 0.903

2010 - Chicago - 0.897

2010 - Los Angeles - 0.893

2009 - Chicago - 0.879

2009 - St. Louis - 0.962

Lu's overall playoff stats these last few years look decently because of some very good series against St. Louis, Nashville, and San Jose. However, it's clear that each of the times we lost, goaltending was a large part of it. Sub-.900 isn't acceptable for a "franchise goaltender".

And I don't buy the whole "it doesn't matter if we lose 2-1 or 8-1" crap. If your team is in it, they're going to push extra hard to get the next goal. But if they are already pretty much out of the game because their goaltender let in 3 in the first 8 minutes of the game, they're not going to bust their injured butts just to make it more respectable.

Fact of the matter is, since the 2006-07 playoffs, the Canucks never lost a series where Luongo let in less than 10% of his shots. You'd think that if he is really as consistently amazing as his supporters claim, we would rarely lose a series under those circumstances. However, he saved 90% in less than half of the series we have played.

I'll admit, this is a good way to break it down and it is very telling. I think the biggest problem with the Canucks is that they never have everything working at the same time. When Luongo is on, the offense fails or it's JUST good enough to squeak by. When the offense is going, though, Luongo seems to become a sieve. Sometimes, both the scoring and the goaltending are bad.

The Canucks as a team just have to perform better in the tight moments in the playoffs. That's the bottom line.

I'll admit, this is a good way to break it down and it is very telling. I think the biggest problem with the Canucks is that they never have everything working at the same time. When Luongo is on, the offense fails or it's JUST good enough to squeak by. When the offense is going, though, Luongo seems to become a sieve. Sometimes, both the scoring and the goaltending are bad.

The Canucks as a team just have to perform better in the tight moments in the playoffs. That's the bottom line.

And now post our goals for vs their goals for (Not the Bruins). And it will be obvious why we lost.

See? This is ultimately a circular argument and both sides have to admit that there were issues at both ends of the ice. If an individual cannot do that then they are dishonest and there is no point talking to them anymore.

Archived