The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Cody Hodgson to Buffalo

Guest AriGold

I am getting killed for using Gragnani's playoff numbers, but people are legitimately using Cody's regular season numbers thinking they will just transition to the playoffs, when the game gets much tougher and more physical.

his chances of doing well int he playoff is 10000000x better than raymond doing anything at all in the playoff.. so they decided to keep raymond and trade Hodgson.. smart move.. when sure giving a 1st for gustad is an overpayment.. but still better than giving away our most consistent secondary scoring for grit that who knows will even play a role on the team right away..

Big differences are because:

1) Third line is more suitable for a shutdown role. Hodgson isn't a good checker. Staal is a great two-way shutdown Center.

2) Kesler previously was pushed to shutdown on the second line, possibly reducing offensive points on that line.

3) Crosby and Malkin are absolute superstars...

Hodgson has been known for his two-way game since we drafted him. I'm sure he will develop into a great two-way shutdown center. With the Sedins being matched against opposing top defencemen and Kesler playing the shutdown role, it'd be a perfect opportunity for Hodgson to bring some offence. Yes, Crosby and Malkin are insanely good but a big part of their success involves having Staal on their third line. A lot of posters are saying he'll be stuck behind Henrik and Kesler if he stays but that doesn't mean he cant be successful on the third line, Staal is able to contribute a lot playing on the third line for the Pitt.

his chances of doing well int he playoff is 10000000x better than raymond doing anything at all in the playoff.. so they decided to keep raymond and trade Hodgson.. smart move.. when sure giving a 1st for gustad is an overpayment.. but still better than giving away our most consistent secondary scoring for grit that who knows will even play a role on the team right away..

Our most consistent secondary scoring in the regular season. Whole different animal in the playoffs.

FYI-Raymond doesn't get Kassian. People make like this guy was 5th round pick with a mediocre pedigree. Unfreakingbelieveable.

A few thoughts:

1) Was on the Sabres boards while ours were down. One thing I got was that Kassian never really got the chance to play with quality linemates. It's certainly possible he could improve his offensive numbers playing with the Sedins or Kesler.

2) Did anyone think Coho was going to be able to consistently light it up once the playoffs tighten things up? The WJHC shows he can handle pressure, but I don't think he has the skillset right now to thrive in the playoffs. Kassian is built for playoff-style hockey.

3) I think this trade will help the Sedins perform better in the playoffs, and maybe help them stay healthy. We've been screaming that we need this type of player, and I agree. He'll create room for them, and actually stick up for them when little pieces of **** decide that they look like punching bags. Maybe the threat of us being able to put him out there will act as a satisfactory deterrent. He'll be better than Bitz with them, and Bitz was able to get some points. Nice to have that option.

4) Getting a left-handed defenceman signals that the team's management is sufficiently happy with Tanev's development that they think he's ready to be a regular part of our lineup, which many here also wer clamouring for. Gragnani can also play the right side in a pinch, but I think the job is now Tanev's to lose.

5) I loved Hodgson, but I can guarantee we'll all love Kassian. Gillis managed to adress a team need without sacrificing too much of the future; Hodgson's value wasn't going to go up playing 3rd line here. Kassian also has an extra year on his ELC so we don't have to re-sign him the same year as Edler and Burrows.

we just traded away a future naslund (skill, leadership, captain) for a future stojanov (size, short ahl career).

let's hope i am wrong.

Kassian isn't just some skill-lacking goon with hands of stone like you're making him out to be. He is a skilled player, and he wont spend his entire career locked in the AHL. I don't understand how you can write a kid like this off as some bust like that.

Kassian.... ahahahah.... He has been hidden away in the east coast.... only played 27 NHL games....

Well... We gave up a solid top 9 Center... possibly captain material.... one of the best rookies this year.....

Soooo... Canucks fans.... are going to expect results.... now.

Perform, don't disappoint.

See you in June, Captain Hindsight. :P

Hodgson has been known for his two-way game since we drafted him. I'm sure he will develop into a great two-way shutdown center. With the Sedins being matched against opposing top defencemen and Kesler playing the shutdown role, it'd be a perfect opportunity for Hodgson to bring some offence. Yes, Crosby and Malkin are insanely good but a big part of their success involves having Staal on their third line. A lot of posters are saying he'll be stuck behind Henrik and Kesler if he stays but that doesn't mean he cant be successful on the third line, Staal is able to contribute a lot playing on the third line for the Pitt.

When? He is not at all ready to play that role in this year's playoffs. Period...End of story.

Staal was a shutdown centerman when they won the Cup. Hodgson is not currently that player.

Get a clue and come back with an accurate comparison.

A few thoughts:

1) Was on the Sabres boards while ours were down. One thing I got was that Kassian never really got the chance to play with quality linemates. It's certainly possible he could improve his offensive numbers playing with the Sedins or Kesler.

2) Did anyone think Coho was going to be able to consistently light it up once the playoffs tighten things up? The WJHC shows he can handle pressure, but I don't think he has the skillset right now to thrive in the playoffs. Kassian is built for playoff-style hockey.

3) I think this trade will help the Sedins perform better in the playoffs, and maybe help them stay healthy. We've been screaming that we need this type of player, and I agree. He'll create room for them, and actually stick up for them when little pieces of **** decide that they look like punching bags. Maybe the threat of us being able to put him out there will act as a satisfactory deterrent. He'll be better than Bitz with them, and Bitz was able to get some points. Nice to have that option.

4) Getting a left-handed defenceman signals that the team's management is sufficiently happy with Tanev's development that they think he's ready to be a regular part of our lineup, which many here also wer clamouring for. Gragnani can also play the right side in a pinch, but I think the job is now Tanev's to lose.

5) I loved Hodgson, but I can guarantee we'll all love Kassian. Gillis managed to adress a team need without sacrificing too much of the future; Hodgson's value wasn't going to go up playing 3rd line here. Kassian also has an extra year on his ELC so we don't have to re-sign him the same year as Edler and Burrows.

Excellent post. Bang on.

+1 for you!

This is easily Gillis worst trade, and very easily the kind of catastrophe that could go down with the Cam Neely trade. Hodgson is already a much better playmaker than Kesler, and showing Sedin like poise with the puck, and scoring ability. With him on the team, the team could have remained an offensive powerhouse after the Sedins retired. Gillis surrendered way too much for WAY TOO LITTLE, in this trade. Massive gamble, to say the least. With this one deal Gillis has undone all the goodwill he's built up over the last 2-3 years, and alienated much of the fan base. If Cody goes on to be an all star and the Canucks don't win the West AND THE CUP this year Gillis may just have greased the skids for his own firing as well as AVs. Just a horrible, horrible day to be a Canucks fan, and one I think we will be regretting long after AV and Gillis are gone. I think any deserving hockey fan knows we lost a very special player this day.

Seems like Gillis decided bigger is better. Back when we drafted Cody Hodgson, the debate was wether we should have taken Kyle Beach or Cody. I guess the answer turned out to be size over skill after all. Now we have a better/younger version of Kyle Beach in Kassian,which hopefully means no more getting beaten up by Chicago, Boston and even the Ducks when they rolled over us to win the cup a few years ago.

I think Cody became redundant on our team as a skilled centre as he wasn't going to beat out Hank or Kes for top 2 centreman and he isn't much of a checking centre. Kind of felt like we had a more consistent/clutch Kyle Wellwood as our third line centre and that didn't work out too well for us 2 years ago. It didn't work for San Jose last year either. Seems like history has proven a solid checking third line wins cups. Hopefully Pahlsson can still fill that role like he did 4 years ago...

With Schroeder beginning to develop nicely in the AHL, Cody became a valuable asset. Schroeder is a playmaking, under sized centreman as well, but he is still a couple years away from becoming a top 6 which fits the timeline of this team a little better. I saw Cody as a Cory Schneider type asset. Love to have the guy on your team, but at what point do you consider trading him as his talent isn't being utilized due to the current makeup of the roster.

Possible best case scenarios/comparisons for Cody and Zack in my point of view would be Brendan Morrison and Todd Bertuzzi. Both were excellent players for us but if you could only have one or the other, who would you choose? Obviously Zack and Cody have a long way to develop before they could be considered in the same level as those players, but if their potential is realized in both, I'd choose the power forward.

Good luck in Buffalo Cody. I've enjoyed watching you play hockey and develop with the Canucks. You seem like a class act and I hope you do well in your career.

Welcome Zack, I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with this team!!!

i wonder if kassian is meant to play with the sedin's, so no one will think of pushing them around. it makes more sense to me because we have a ton of second line players already higgins, raymond, booth, kesler. then burrows can drop down to the 3rd line and be part of the checking line:

sedin, sedin, kassian

booth, kesler, higgins

raymond, pahlsson, burrows

wiese, lapierre, gordon (maholtra)

also how MG talked in his interview kept bringing up how puck moving defensive men are hard to come by and how they now have another powerplay dman. MG is thinking for next year when salo retires and for the present if salo gets injured in the playoffs they have a dman that can man the point on the powerplay. i think this solidifies that salo is gone next year and ballard is likely being moved. MG is gambling that salo is more likely to get injured than kesler or henrik and that having another puck moving dman is better than having a back up 2nd line centre. and honestly if you look at it statistically what he did makes a lot of sense for the future and now. pahlsson lessens the impact of a kesler injury because pahlsson would be the one playing against checking lines and doing the checking or sharing the role something hodgson cannot do.

hodgson might be the best player in this trade but if the canucks run into injuries like they did last year they are much deeper with what they got for hodgson.

This is easily Gillis worst trade, and very easily the kind of catastrophe that could go down with the Cam Neely trade. Hodgson is already a much better playmaker than Kesler, and showing Sedin like poise with the puck, and scoring ability. With him on the team, the team could have remained an offensive powerhouse after the Sedins retired. Gillis surrendered way too much for WAY TOO LITTLE, in this trade. Massive gamble, to say the least. With this one deal Gillis has undone all the goodwill he's built up over the last 2-3 years, and alienated much of the fan base. If Cody goes on to be an all star and the Canucks don't win the West AND THE CUP this year Gillis may just have greased the skids for his own firing as well as AVs. Just a horrible, horrible day to be a Canucks fan, and one I think we will be regretting long after AV and Gillis are gone. I think any deserving hockey fan knows we lost a very special player this day.

Thanks for predicting the future Ms.Cleo.

Guess you knew I'm about to go to bed and remove myself from moronic opinions like this too.

Hey chicken little, the sky isn't falling.

i dunno... if gillis is going all in now to try and win the cup.. honestly i rather just give up a 1st for Gustad instead of giving hogdson for kassian.. Hodgson will be able to help us right away in the playoff vs Kassian who knows if he'll be able to help us.. we lost a chunk of our secondary scoring.. and Hodgson is clutch... i mean if we were going to trade Hodgson away.. shouldn't we have traded him away at the draft instead and package him along with Schneider for an insane return? like i don't understand this trade at all.. if they were going to trade for grit.. i rather lose a late first for gustad keep hodgson for secondary scoring and trade away raymond for a draft pick instead.. i mean honestly come on.. who'd really think raymond will do better than hodgson in the playoff for us? remember last SCF? toughness wasn't the only issue.. the lack of scoring was...

part of the reason the scoring was down was because our scorers were intimidated and beat down.....adding toughness to the lineup will hopefully solve this problem.

When the Sedins retire? Are you trying to predict what's going to happen in 10 years? <_< Seriously, what's with all the "we lost another Cam Neely :frantic: " talk? If anything, we traded FOR Cam Neely, not traded AWAY.

Hodgson has the potential to be a great scorer, but there are plenty of guys who can score in this league, only a few has size, can hit, fight AND score like Kassian has the potential to do.

Archived