Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

I'm sure MG could've figured out a way.

Raymond and Schroeder?

Dafuq did I just read?

As it stands, Dallas and Vancouver would meet each other in the playoffs. Do you really think Dallas management would allow themselves to be fleeced like this, especially against a potential opponent?

This is almost like assuming Gillis did not try any other trade options.
Posted Image

#242 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

Not very classy of MG to be silent when asked if Cody asked for a trade. He should have been straight up and manned up and cleared the air to set the record straight. Sad to see him go. Was Cody and Erhoff friends? At least there is one familiar face there. Imagine if Toronto made a play for Cody, he would be like a semi-god in Toronto, his home town. Maybe MG should have at least did that for Cody instead of sending him to Buffalo, the armpit of NHL cities.

I think its the exact opposite.

#243 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

Why would Dallas do that?

If GMMG could have found a way to land Ott, he would have according to Lebrun.

Why would Dallas trade a hard-nosed pest with the ability to score 20 goals and beat up opponents with a NTC and 2 more years on his contract to a team that they could very well play in the first round. Especially for a player who can't do much offensively when the going gets tough?

They can trade Ott in the future if they aren't in the playoffs & if they are they'd probably like Ott around as much as the Canucks..

I may hate Raymond as much as anyone else, but he is very solid defensively. Schroeder is apparently NHL ready, and is a pretty good prospect. The guy has been playing lights out in the AHL..

Posted Image

#244 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:25 PM

Extremely disapointed in the timing of this trade. Surely bottom 6 toughness could have came at a cheaper price than our future captain......blahhhhhhhhhhh. Seems odd to me to keep a backup goalie who will not see the light of day in the playoffs and trade away a 22yr old stud 2 way center who is a calder candidate and is already the quarterback of the second unit pp.

#245 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

I'm probably being a bit of a homer right now because of how pissed off I am, so i apologize for any stupid posts i have made.

But honestly, Hodgson > Schneider

Posted Image

#246 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

As for the argument that Cody seems to win a lot... well check out Kassian:

- AHL All-Star Game 11/12
- CHL Memorial Cup Champion 09/10
- CHL Top Prospects Game 08/09
- OHL Champion 09/10
- U17 WHC Gold Medal 07/08
- U20 WJC Silver Medal 10/11

Kassian had 32 points in 35 games in those two playoff runs with the Spitfires.

He also wore the 'C' for the Petes before he was traded.

As for MAG:

- AHL Best Defenseman "Eddie Shore Award" 10/11
- AHL First All-Star Team 10/11
- AHL Most Assists by Defenseman 10/11
- AHL Most Points by Defenseman 10/11
- U18 WJC Silver Medal 04/05

He also wore an 'A' for the Rocket in his last junior season.

If Tanev - Grags work out the Canucks have a solid bottom pairing on affordable cap hits next year.. imagine if they can land a Shea Weber type.

Edler - Weber
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Grags - Tanev
Alberts, Rome

There's lots this trade has to offer & we, as fans, have no idea what happened in closed doors between Cody's camp and the Canucks.

The Canucks have a pretty awesome looking team now and Kassian might see some time picking up garbage for Kesler (the player Sturm was supposed to be) as well as playing a few shifts with the Sedins to shut up the David Bollands & Brad Marchands of the league.

Kassian also had 51 assists in 56 games in his last junior season, I know he isn't known as a playmaker.. but that is still pretty good.

#247 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,525 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

I'm probably being a bit of a homer right now because of how pissed off I am, so i apologize for any stupid posts i have made.

But honestly, Hodgson > Schneider

But....

Schneider package > Hodgson.

He's a monster piece and could get us either an impact player or a blue-chip prospect. That's why MG isn't overly concerned because if we need another young talented offensive center he'll use Schneiderman to get him.

#248 The Architect

The Architect

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

I seriously think Raymond went to the clubs in pheonix and got drunk as f*ck when he heard this because he was just given another life.

Make the most of it Mayray.

Daniel Sedin-Henrik Sedin-Alex Burrows
David Booth-Ryan Kesler-Mason Raymond
Chris Higgins-Sammy Pahlsson-Zack Kassian
Maxim Lapierre-Manny Malhotra-Jannik Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Gragnani-Tanev

schroeder
reinprecht
weise
bitz

ballard
rome
alberts

wow.
Sig too big.

THANK YOU P R O L I F I C for the incredible signature!

#249 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:33 PM

I may hate Raymond as much as anyone else, but he is very solid defensively. Schroeder is apparently NHL ready, and is a pretty good prospect. The guy has been playing lights out in the AHL..

That's nice.

If the Canucks were in 8th & Dallas was in 1st would you trade David Booth for Tom Wandell & Scott Glennie?

#250 N4ZZY

N4ZZY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

I was pretty choked when I saw the trade this afternoon. Didn't think Van would do anymore trades, but Gillis seems to surprise us year after year.

About the trade. I still don't like it. We're trading one of the better players under 25 years of age, for a player who was buried in the minors for most of the year, with a team who isn't even a cup contender. In my opinion, Buffalo wins this trade short term AND long term. Hodgson is a young player who has proven himself this season that he's got game, he can score, he can even check (although perhaps not as well as Pahlsson). He's only going to get better with more playing time, and a better supporting cast (which Buffalo will eventually do). I was sad to see CoHo go, and I'm still a little bit upset at Gillis.

Gillis has done a remarkable job as GM. But this may, as some said, make or break his career as GM of the Canucks. If this ends up being a Naslund-Stajonov type of trade, Gillis should be fired. IF the Canucks don't win the Cup this year, because it seems that some people on this board believe that we have a deeper team, as a result of this trade - AV should be canned. If he can't win a Cup with the team we had last year, and if this team is now "better" because of the trade with Buffalo today, and he STILL can't win the Cup, he should be let go.

I also think that AV is a part of the reason why Hodgson is no longer a Canuck. He was mistreated, and it seemed like AV just didn't like the kid, as a result, he's gone, but the coach stays. Although, AV's leash isn't as long as he may believe. He doesn't win this year, or next - he should be canned. Period.

Buffalo's getting a GREAT young player in Hodgson. No doubt about it. And if Kassian doesn't prove his worth soon, Gillis will have some tough questions to answer.

Kassian hasn't proven he can stick in the NHL, and THIS is my I was upset with this trade. If we had traded Hodgson last year, for Kassian, then sure, maybe we'd all be fine with it. But Hodgson this year, has really come into his own. 33 points in 63 games isn't bad for a 21 year old. I don't even know if either Sedins scored that much when they were 21.

How many points does Kassian bring? Oh right. 7 points in 27 games played. He's not gifted as Hodgson is, offensively. But he brings "grit and sandpaper". At the end of the day, the question has to be asked "Does this make us better?" I think it makes us worse, because we have a prospect (Kassian is still a prospect, because he hasn't proven anything yet, Hodgson has this year with 16 goals, 17 assists) in our line-up. How does he handle the media attention in Van? How does he handle the expectations (both organizational, and from the fans) of him? And finally, does he live up to those expectations? He better prove something soon, beause if he hits 25-26 years old, and he's still producing something like 10 goals, and 10-15 assists, he'll be considered a bust. AND if Hodgson at that time, is producing something to the effect of 60-70 points - we've been fleeced. Gillis should be fired, and AV should have been canned a long time ago.

BTW, what's with AV's lust and hard-on for Rome, anyways? Jeez. The guy I just don't understand.

No wonder Vancouver fans have been suffering a long, LONG time. It's because of dumb-headed moves like this. 40 years without a Cup, and we wonder why....

Hope this is the year. The window is closing fast on this team. Kesler is approaching his late twenties, Sedins are entering into their mid thirties. They're not going to be around forever.

#251 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

That's nice.

If the Canucks were in 8th & Dallas was in 1st would you trade David Booth for Tom Wandell & Scott Glennie?

1st for Gaustad and a 4th?

Would've went through for sure..

Edited by Inception, 27 February 2012 - 11:37 PM.

Posted Image

#252 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,257 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

As much as I hate this trade, if this deal is what the Canucks need to win the cup then so be it.. even at the expense of Cody.

The trade hurts now but it'll be all better if the loss of Cody results in what we've been waiting for.

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#253 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

apparently we might have gotten corey perry

According to Farhan Devji's post there was a trade on the table for Perry: Hodgson, Raymond, Ballard. Canucks decided not to do it after the win in Boston.

Reeeeally interesting: http://www.shaheed-d...rhansite/?p=374

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#254 GM

GM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

You'll never know what Dallas wanted for Steve Ott but we do know what TB wanted for Downie.

Kassian is three years younger,four inches taller,has better contract status but Downie is more proven and could've been had for a 1st rounder+throw ins.

Hodgson+Downie>>>>>>Kassian+1st round pick

Kassian will be good and fun to watch but I think Gillis blew this one like the Ballard,Bernier and Booth trades.

Edited by GM, 27 February 2012 - 11:43 PM.

#255 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:40 PM

Trying to be optimistic now.

From one perspective I really like the trade, because Kassian is EXACTLY the type of player we've needed for a few seasons now.

But on the other hand, I don't think he can step into the lineup and contribute the way Hodgson has. I'm also worried we gave up a future star for a lesser player.However, players like Kassian are very rare, and if he tops out as a 60+ point power forward then I will be satisfied with the trade unless Cody becomes a superstar.

The timing of the trade is strange though. Wouldn't this deal still be available in the off season? We took a contributing player out of a contending lineup without adding players that have proven they can produce at the same level.

To make a trade of this magnitude the management would've had to be absolutely sure they know what they are doing. That's my only real comfort in this. They must have put a lot of scouting time and evaluation into it. They've earned some trust for getting the team where it is IMO, so I will give this some time to see if it works out. Still hard to swallow though.

#256 Canuck fan in Calgary

Canuck fan in Calgary

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

When the twins decline in production, Kes' line will take over, and Hank & Dan will form the 2nd line. They will retire (or returning to Sweden) in their mid-late 30's.

If this is Gillis' vision, our next top 6 center prospect needs to be ready in 4-5 years. In the meantime, we need some younger, complimentary wingers.

Tough to see Cody go, but he needs an opportunity on a team that needs a 2C and leader. It's not a position most younger Canucks fans are accustomed to...having no room for great young players we drafted and developed. Thanks Mike Gillis and Good luck Cody!

Our new 21 year old powerforward, with potential to be the next Lucic, is locked up for under 900k for 3 years. He brings size, grit, skill, youth, and a feared hitter to our top 6, while leaving cap room for a potential Weber / Sutter acquisition in the off season. There is a risk he doesn't crack the top 6 (at $900k)and many power forwards develop later. I would recommend Gary Roberts for him this summer.

The cost for a PROVEN (and available) powerforward? Cory, Cody, 3 x 1st picks AND $7.8M cap space, disrupting internal equity.

We've dealt from a position of strength to address a weakness.

We're better suited for the playoffs this year, and poised to be strong players in any or all of the draft, UFA market and off-season trade market.

Raymond and Ballard are still under contract next year, so no need to trade them now (obviously the return wasn't there). Think of them as highly-motivated depth or our run, whose trade value should only go up with more playoff experience, and maybe a ring.

EXCELLENT asset/risk management by Mr Gillis..

The only way today could have gone better would be to add a big RD, but I guess I can hold out for Weber next year.

I am a happy Canucks fan today
respect your edlers

#257 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,077 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

But.... Schneider package > Hodgson. He's a monster piece and could get us either an impact player or a blue-chip prospect. That's why MG isn't overly concerned because if we need another young talented offensive center he'll use Schneiderman to get him.

CS for Johansen/Connolly would be great.

Connolly
Johansen

Kassian - ____ - Connolly
Kassian - Johansen ____

I trust MG has to have some sort of master plan in the offseason because trading a calder candidate in a year where youre going for the cup, doesnt make any sense.

#258 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,077 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

You'll never know what Dallas wanted for Steve Ott but we do know what TB wanted for Downie. Kassian is three years younger,four inches taller,has better contract status but Downie is more proven and could've been had for a 1st rounder+throw ins. Hodgson+Downie>>>>>>Kassian+1st round pick Kassian will be good and fun to watch but I think Gillis blew this one like the Ballard,Bernier and Booth trades.

The Booth trade was great.. two aging UFAs for a 27 yr old powerforward..

The Ballard deal is a mistake and im sure MG will correct that in the offseason.

#259 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

According to Farhan Devji's post there was a trade on the table for Perry: Hodgson, Raymond, Ballard. Canucks decided not to do it after the win in Boston.

Wow I almost think this deserves its own thread and should be asked of gillis next time hes on team 1040...

Seems like people are just skipping your post.

#260 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

Who is Farhan Devji and why should we believe he is credible?

#261 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,091 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

I think people are going to have to settle themselves that Kassian will likely be a 4th liner for the remainder of this season......though the 4th line won't have to hide, like most teams have to hide their 4th line.

Sedin Sedin Burr - don't mess with perfection
Higgins Kes Booth - the 3 S's......Speed, skill and size
Pahlsson Manny Hansen - a beautiful shutdown line
Raymond Lappy Kassian - some speed, some lip, some size and all 3 have skills....wll chip in offensively without losing on D
Reinprecht/Weise/Bitz

Hamhuis Bieksa - we know what we get
Edler Salo - same as above
Gragnani Tanev - Good puck movers, inexperienced, but both have positive playoff performances under their belts
Ballard/Rome/Alberts - not sure where Ballard slots in, but good depth, depending on opposition.

#262 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

You'll never know what Dallas wanted for Steve Ott but we do know what TB wanted for Downie.

Kassian is three years younger,four inches taller,has better contract status but Downie is more proven and could've been had for a 1st rounder+throw ins.

Kassian will be good and fun to watch but I think Gillis blew this one like the Ballard,Bernier and Booth trades.

The Booth trade? How was that blown. Booth is way better than Sammy and Sturm. Bernier was a low risk at a 2nd round pick. Ballard hasn't really fit in, but that has a lot to do with Hamhius signing a week after the Ballard trade which wasn't a guarantee.

If you think the Booth trade was a bust, you are very misinformed.

#263 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

I never heard of him before today, I thought he was the first to mention the kassian trade...?

Maybe Im wrong.

#264 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

I still can't even look at this trade with an objective view right now that I'm so biased with emotion. This kid was supposed to be groomed as our next coming of Trevor Linden and to no longer have him as a Canuck is kind of incomprehensible. I know we're also getting some size and toughness coming our way, but I think what hurts the most is the fact that, whether it was going to be with us or someone else, Hodgson was going to be a centre-piece/leader somewhere in the league and unfortunately it's not going to be with us. It should be interesting to see how this trade unfolds down the line but hopefully looking back this will be looked back as a positive trade by Gillis.

Edited by Bure1994Mclean, 27 February 2012 - 11:57 PM.

OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#265 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

Farhan Lalji wannabe? lol i dunno

#266 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,077 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

apparently we might have gotten corey perry According to Farhan Devji's post there was a trade on the table for Perry: Hodgson, Raymond, Ballard. Canucks decided not to do it after the win in Boston. Reeeeally interesting: http://www.shaheed-d...rhansite/?p=374

If that is infact true and MG pulled off the deal. he deserve to get fired!!! D:< D:< D:<

#267 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

Actually i just looked this guy up, hes a journalist from bc, but he refrenced samjam on here...

Enough said, hes probably reading this and kanuck25 was his source.

#268 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,767 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

I agree that Gillis is beginning to look quite mortal.

Ballard is a bust,

Booth is just a bad contract for what he brings to the team, which doesn't appear to be much more than what Higgins and Raymond bring.

Not getting equal value for Hodgson. Even if you like what Kassian brings, we lose the trade by not getting the best player involved.

Signing Marco Sturm.

Sammeul Pfalfsonn deal? What the hell? We already have 2 checking centers, both of whom are better than him.

#269 The Läck Ness Monster

The Läck Ness Monster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

Buffalo may have won this deal short term, and even long term. But did we get what we needed? I believe so. Are we a better team now in a 7 game series? Yes we are. What you want isn't always what you need, but sometimes we all gotta bite the bullet and see what's ahead of us.

If the Canucks manage to capture a cup this season, this will be a huge part of what a Cinderella tale it would be, from the whiplash that Gillis is receiving to the emotional toll on all the fans in Vancouver. For me, when i heard about the trade, it struck nearly as hard as that 7th game loss we suffered last season, and I'm sure it is the same for many others out there. I'm sure being the class act that he is, Cody would be cheering us on every step of the way. We have to pay respect for friends we lose along the way, but it's time to cut the tears and move on. Enjoy his amazing team that's been built before us while we all can. It's something fans in Columbus, Phoenix, and numerous other franchises out there have to wait years and maybe decades to witness.

:towel:

#270 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,737 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

How many points does Kassian bring? Oh right. 7 points in 27 games played. He's not gifted as Hodgson is, offensively. But he brings "grit and sandpaper". At the end of the day, the question has to be asked "Does this make us better?" I think it makes us worse, because we have a prospect (Kassian is still a prospect, because he hasn't proven anything yet, Hodgson has this year with 16 goals, 17 assists) in our line-up. How does he handle the media attention in Van? How does he handle the expectations (both organizational, and from the fans) of him? And finally, does he live up to those expectations? He better prove something soon, beause if he hits 25-26 years old, and he's still producing something like 10 goals, and 10-15 assists, he'll be considered a bust. AND if Hodgson at that time, is producing something to the effect of 60-70 points - we've been fleeced. Gillis should be fired, and AV should have been canned a long time ago.

That's what I said about Bobby Ryan when he was taken 2nd overall. BUT...it took him about 3-4 years before he developed into the beast that he is today.

Kassian will take time; he will be subjected to Canadian media pressure (already has it as a member of Team Canada U-20 squad); he will learn from teammates about what it means to drive hard to the net. Only them will he learn how to play like a Lucic or a Bertuzzi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.