The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

Man I would be SO happy if we signed Schultz and got Schenn, Gardiner, and the 5th overall pick for Luongo.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Forsberg

Higgins - Pahlsson - Malhotra

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Schultz

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Gardiner - Schenn

Tanev

Schneider

Lack

That would be our forward group if we draft Forsberg and don't make any other trades. And I think another way to convince Justin to sign here is to promise him top pair minutes. But either way thats a cup winning roster right there.

Well Gilroy was 24 when the Rangers signed him, and I don't recall people ever touting him as anything more than a bottom pairing D-man out of the gate. I also think the Rangers put too much pressure on him and gave up too quickly, which is what we see with alot of highly touted prospects.

Schultz on the other hand isn't even 22 years old yet, and many analysts and scouts are saying that he could probably jump right into a top 4 role. That's how highly they think of him. He has the skating ability, hockey IQ, and acurate shot to make him very successful in today's NHL. Gilroy has nothing on Schultz.

He also comes from a very elite hockey program at Wisconsin which has turned out defencemen such as Chelios, Suter, Rafalski, Gilbert, Skille and more recently McDonaugh and Gardiner.

With other notables such as Heatley, Pavelski, Stepan, Burrish, Winchester, Mitchell. Reinprecht, and Bourque.

Well Gilroy was 24 when the Rangers signed him, and I don't recall people ever touting him as anything more than a bottom pairing D-man out of the gate. I also think the Rangers put too much pressure on him and gave up too quickly, which is what we see with alot of highly touted prospects.

Schultz on the other hand isn't even 22 years old yet, and many analysts and scouts are saying that he could probably jump right into a top 4 role. That's how highly they think of him. He has the skating ability, hockey IQ, and acurate shot to make him very successful in today's NHL. Gilroy has nothing on Schultz.

He also comes from a very elite hockey program at Wisconsin which has turned out defencemen such as Chelios, Suter, Rafalski, Gilbert, Skille and more recently McDonaugh and Gardiner.

With other notables such as Heatley, Pavelski, Stepan, Burrish, Winchester, Mitchell. Reinprecht, and Bourque.

College players are always hyped by acquiring teams because they are 'free'. Canucks have done the same thing in the past.

Schultz's agent will have a lot to do with where he ends up. Since when has TO not had a lock on every kid that has been hyped. Typical BS for that location. Not a mistake that Lowe is drafting a lot of Alberta and Sask kids from the DUB. They grew up there and dreamt about playing for the Oilers or Flamers. Assuming that SChultz would go to Edmonton because of the youth movement is again a bit of a stretch. Oiler management has not demonstrated an ability to turn that franchise in over 10 years. Letting Rennie go is an example.

Not a fan of everything that MG has done but no one can deny that he has made the Canucks a more professional org. Re-alignment will happen with a new CBA. Hopefully Van will end up in the Pacific division and travel in the same time zone. The success of the Canucks has attract potential owners to a franchise in Seattle. Much of this might not mean anything to a young UFA but hopefully his agent can see the writing on the wall. Instead of being worried about the Oilers and TO I think Van should worry about Detroit.

If Shultz signed in Vancouver chances are he starts the year in Chicago to develop his game for all situations like Tanev did last year so if he wants a guaranteed spot on a team i can guarantee Gillis wont give him that and he will not becoming here.

Exactly,, I've been saying this for a long time but for some reason people think Schultz will sign here because he cheered for the Canucks growing up, or he's confident he can make the team and so on....

Schultz is a college educated 22 year old who has a family and agent that give him advice on what's best for him.

I've had a lengthy discussion on this subject over the past couple of pages in this thread, so there is no reason to repeat every thing again. Schultz's best interest would be to sign with a team that he can crack.. Schultz's dad feels the same way according to an interview and to me it makes sense for the Schultz family to feel this way.

Exactly,, I've been saying this for a long time but for some reason people think Schultz will sign here because he cheered for the Canucks growing up, or he's confident he can make the team and so on....

Schultz is a college educated 22 year old who has a family and agent that give him advice on what's best for him.

I've had a lengthy discussion on this subject over the past couple of pages in this thread, so there is no reason to repeat every thing again. Schultz's best interest would be to sign with a team that he can crack.. Schultz's dad feels the same way according to an interview and to me it makes sense for the Schultz family to feel this way.

How about the 5th, we give up our first, Franson and Colburne (a suggested target by Old News)? Chuck in Tanev as a closer...

If Gillis could get that package for Luongo I think people would forgive him for the Hodgson and Ballard trade.

Unfortunately I don't think Burke is that desperate. And something tells me he's gun shy after that Kessel trade.

If we could get a combination of just two of those pieces, I think we would be very happy.

He has not played a single NHL game does not deserve the status of a elite dman ,For example look at Matt Gilroy who had the exact same hype as this kid and demanded the only contract he would take was the one guaranteeing him a spot on a NHL team and look whats happening with him.

Wait, what?!

Now you're pulling a 180 and saying it's in Schultz's best interests (see: ability to hit his potential ceiling as a player) to be rushed to the NHL in the exact same way Gilroy was (who played in all situations in 09-10)?

I, for one, am confused by this apparent dichotomy.

Wait, what?!

Aren't you the guy who thinks Schultz would be a top 4 Dman on the Canucks and that he would be on the PP feeding passes to the Sedins and racking up points??

Now you think he would be better served with the Canucks because he would develop properly in the minors? Wasn't that the reason I said he shouldn't sign with the Canucks?

Seems to me its you who's pulling a complete 180.

You accuse me of pulling a 180? Are you drunk? I've been talking to you about Schultz for the past several days on this thread. The whole time it was about Schultz's best interest. Our whole discussion has been on what I feel is best for Schultz and what I would do if I was him vs what you feel he should do and why. We both even wrote posts pretending to put our selves in Schultz shoes by saying "if I was Schultz I would......"

I can't believe you have resorted to a blatant lie by accusing me of pulling a 180.

We disagreed on Schultz potential to crack the Canucks line up vs the Oilers or another lesser team. I feel Schultz would have the freedom to make mistakes and get more ice time to learn the pro game on a worst team than a 2 time President's Trophy winning team.

Another poster posted Schultz's father's interview on the subject and the senior Schultz apparently agrees with me. He thinks the Canucks D might be too deep for his son to crack. After I pointed this interview out to you, your response is to accuse me of pulling a 180. LOL, this has to be a joke.

I thought you were one of the more knowledgeable posters here, except for when I disagreed with you when you posted Milan Lucic could be part of the BOS package for Rick Nash.

I can't understand why you would lower your self by misrepresenting my conversation with you.

I was talking to ccc44, not you. ;)

Edit: I may as well address the father issue, though. If he has an overly-meddlesome father, I want no part of that (see: Hodgson, Lindros, and even Zach Parise's dad's recent public comments as to why it's problematic) but that "interview" also noted that his father seemed to have no idea Salo likely wouldn't be back (something Sami himself hinted at with a local scribe) and was "interested" with that bit of news.

I think flat out it is in his best interest to go to the team that is going to best help him develop. I am not going to make a sugestion as to what team that is, but trying to go to a team where you are going to be a top 4 now, could be disastourous.

Did people think Gardiner would be a top 4 dman this season? If you are good enough, you will get your shot.

Like miller also said, if he has a father that likes to be the center of attention, I too want no part of him.

Thanks for post Bieksa. If the Canucks signed him and he had a good training camp it would be tough to keep him out of the lineup. Although at 185lbs he needs to bulk up, in saying that if he has a great offensive upside I am sure that becomes irrelevant...

If he hasn't signed with the Ducks by now he won't sign....

Archived