The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa Calls On Canucks Fans To Be Louder

hockeyville88

I like Bieksa for the most part but this quote bothers me:

Bieksa, for his part, acknowledges all these things but he also made an appeal to the faithful.

“A lot time when you’re down in the game or you’re going through a lull in the second period, the crowd can give the team a boost. We’ve got to be working together here. We both want the same thing which is the Stanley Cup. So we’ll work for you if you work for us.”

I'm sorry but it is not the crowd's responsibility to motivate the team and players. Sure its a nice bonus if it happens but I'm sorry Kevin you should be working for us regardless of wether or not we are working for you.

Receiving a $65,000 dollar paycheque for sixty minutes of 'playing' hockey Kevin is just rubbing it in our faces.

I think he should go to work in a rendering company on midnight shifts for three years as I did for a grand total of $65,000.

Go work for me,Kevin and I will go play one game of hockey and get three years pay.

This guy must never have had a real job in the real world as he is totally out to lunch.

I think the reason everyone is getting so mad at this is because they aren't holding up their end of the bargain here. I hear other teams saying "we've had the best fans ever, look how they support us" ect, where as the Canucks ten to cater to their traveling celebrity fans. I went to the LA game on NYE and at least 100 fans came to their practice, they didn't acknowledge the crowd at all. In fact, they snuck out the back to the bus. They did, however, take considerable time to talk to the "celebrity" Canucks fan that was there. The organization doesn't go above and beyond to make fans feel like they are a big part of the picture, so when Bieksa comes out and says its embarrassing, it's insulting to fans because it seems they only acknowledge fans when it's convenient to them.

There have been so many times when I've heard the players say that they only play for the people in the room, how hard fans can be on them, ect. Go to play in Columbus and see how much those players appreciate their fans, and they show it.

The Canucks have a very "me" mentality, and the fans aren't included in that. Why would they be? Supply and demand, they don't have to work for our support, we just give it to them.

Other organizations are much more catered towards their fans and for bieksa to say that we need to show up with passion when they can't even do that? Insulting.. Try showing up for every game and actually play with heart, even if they lose, fans will see it and cheer. Play like they have been playing, like the regula season doesn't matter when people are paying hundreds of dollars to see these regular season games, there will be no passion from the fans.

eff beiksa. maybe if you gus start scoring the crowd will cheer for you. no point cheering for a bad effort by the nucks.. and obv winnipeg is louder. their arena is tiny and traps the sound. plus they havent had hockey for 16 years so of course they will be loud about that.

The bitter comment above really doesn't make sense. Rubbing it in our faces? How is he doing that? He's encouraging us to participate, not waving money in the air. Plus, he's a well educated man from a working class family of strong values and work ethic. So don't make him out to be something he's not, like privileged or pompous. Crying out loud, the fact that he's so available for interviews and a great sport who provides hours of after hours entertainment off the ice is worth cheering alone (ever heard his banters with The Fox crew?). Priceless. Never says no.

Problem is, you can't play hockey like Bieksa, but that's not his fault.

Honestly, you'd think he stood on a soapbox and called us all losers. He wants our support in the stands...isn't that what being a fan's all about?

Also, the jets support their team because the team shows up to play every night and they show that they appreciate their fans (one example is the raising of their sticks after every game). If the Canucks made this connection with the fans, I'm sure fans would show their appreciation

Also, the jets support their team because the team shows up to play every night and they show that they appreciate their fans (one example is the raising of their sticks after every game). If the Canucks made this connection with the fans, I'm sure fans would show their appreciation

Don't fool yourself - the fans' main reason for being crazy nuts in cheering is because they were rabid for hockey and just got their team back...of course they are vocal. The team could probably skate circles around center ice throwing onions to the crowd and they'd cheer at this point. And, the team feeds off that - which is what Kevin's suggesting and encouraging us to do. He doesn't want our "appreciation", he wants our support.

The bitter comment above really doesn't make sense. Rubbing it in our faces? How is he doing that? He's encouraging us to participate, not waving money in the air. Plus, he's a well educated man from a working class family of strong values and work ethic. So don't make him out to be something he's not, like privileged or pompous. Crying out loud, the fact that he's so available for interviews and a great sport who provides hours of after hours entertainment off the ice is worth cheering alone (ever heard his banters with The Fox crew?). Priceless. Never says no.

Problem is, you can't play hockey like Bieksa, but that's not his fault.

I hate when paid pro athletes waste time by worrying about what's going on the the stands among the paying spectators. It's a slippery slope:

You can't use playing in front of a loud & adoring crowd as a crutch for winning at home any more than using playing in front of a loud & hostile crowd as an excuse for losing on the road.

Whatever is or is not going on in the stands at Rogers Arena is NOT the problem Bieksa or the rest of the Canucks need to concern themselves with and whether the game is played at home or on the road shouldn't have any bearing whatsoever on their level of play.

Nuck Nit: So you go to work and come home each day. These guys are on the road and may miss their child's first words. Their birthdays.

They could get injured (badly) -ask Bieksa about that one.

I can't afford to go to games, as a single working Mom who's relied on for the roof overhead. But I save and treat myself every once in awhile, because that's what I do (vs vacations, movies, etc.).

It's a hundred bucks - you afford internet each month, so it's about choices really.

These guys have earned the right to play in the NHL - and, with that, the paycheques that are in line with that. They are sucking? Last time I checked, they played in the last game of the NHL season last year while other teams watched from home.

They're on top of the league again this year and assured a playoff spot. That's not sucking.

Yes, they've slumped. You mean you've never had an "off day" or two at work. If you say "no", you're likely lying.

Real world is these guys mostly play because they love the game - they don't like losing any more than you or I like them losing. But there is no "perfection" to be had in sports....even the very best falter at times. It's just how it is.

Say what you want about Bieksa's comments, but the intensity was amazing at 3-3. It was a good time for a cheer, instead we get room tone and a lucky goal against.

For those keeping score at home, Bieksa is -2.

EDIT: And a pretty timely penalty. Oh, Kevin. Take this as a sign that the hockey Gods want you to keep your eyes on the ice, not the stands.

Say what you want about Bieksa's comments, but the intensity was amazing at 3-3. It was a good time for a cheer, instead we get room tone and a lucky goal against.

For those keeping score at home, Bieksa is -2.

EDIT: And a pretty timely penalty. Oh, Kevin. Take this as a sign that the hockey Gods want you to keep your eyes on the ice, not the stands.

Archived