The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chimera Hit On Mcquaid

Lychees

He knew he was coming and should of stood up with his shoulder and taken the hit.

Instead he turns his back to the player and gets crushed.

Why do so many players turn their back when a player is coming in like that? More responsibility needs to go on the hittee in some of these situations.

Of course now days it isn't popular to take that stand. This will probably end up being a significant suspension :rolleyes:

I don't know, it depends on how Shanahan sees it. If McQuaid holds his course, it's a shoulder to shoulder hit, albeit with Chimera coming in hard. Even still, it'd be less impact than trying to turn away from someone coming in to hit him.

I say he has a meeting but doesn't receive any time off.

In my opinion, Shanny should give Chimera a call and tell him to just ease up a bit, but shouldn't get a suspension.

And no, that's not because I hate the Bruins. McQuaid turned at the last moment. It's quite obvious even Chimera was surprised. Chimera is also one of the fastest skaters in the league. I don't think he had time to change his course by the time McQuaid decided to pivot.

I see that McQuaid looks back, but I'm not sure if he's looking at his teammate and doesn't see Chimera barreling in on him. Hard to say.

I don't think it deserves a suspension, as Chimera has no history or reputation as being anything other than an extremely fast, hard-working player.

It will be interesting to see what Shanny has to say.

Wow, that was a perfect hit. McQuaid turned at the last second and almost tried to protect his head by turning it to the boards - I'm sorry but he got what he deserved from Chimera. Should not of been ejected for that.

Should not even be looked at, and Shanahan probably won't give out a suspension but will explain why it isn't worthy of one. Just before Chimera is about to hit McQuaid he is going shoulder to shoulder and McQuaid is standing straight up against the boards - a perfect, safe hit to be made.

This is simply a bad play by McQuaid, and just quietly a little bit of Karma for what he did to the Canucks. You play a dirty style of game and it'll come back to bite you eventually. I love the fact that none of the Bruins really stood up for him either. Bergeron is supposed to be one of their leaders and they didn't react - either because they thought it was a clean hit, or they're just playing timid right now.

no suspension.

http://prohockeytalk...arding-mcquaid/

fair enough. chimera is a good clean player and a stand up guy. he shouldn't have been charging like that but mcquaid did turn into the hit from behind. 5mins and a game misconduct for a bad charging penalty is fair enough.

edit: claude julien talked about the hit too:

“Maybe it was a little bit reckless,’’ Julien said. “But there’s no doubt in my mind it wasn’t intentional. McQuaid just turned at the last second and put himself in a bit of a vulnerable position. I agree with the referee’s call. It was a reckless hit. It deserved a five when I looked back at the replay. They had to make that decision. It was a tough one. But it certainly wasn’t an intent to injure by the player, in my mind. I keep saying, I really, really encourage our players to be careful with the speed of the game today to make sure they don’t turn their back to the play as much. Those kinds of plays happen. You’re worried about the security of the players.’’

Yes McQuaid turned but wow was Chimera ever charging him. I'd give him a game to think about it. From the overhead it looked like he jumped off the bench, took 15 good hard strides and labeled him. If he coasted more near the end I'd give him a pass.

So he got 5 and a game for that? And Keith got 2 min minor for elbow on DS? Nice consistencey NHL

I think Chimera should've got 2 min for charging but that's it. If McQuaid doens't pivot and turn his back and takes the hit shoulder to shouldger and doesn't go down like he got shot then probably there's no penalty and I would've save myself 3 minutes for reading this thread 1 min for writing this post 30 seconds for watching the clip and 30 seconds for the stupid commercial I had to watch before I viewed the clip. So much time wasted on these stupid online ads before vids...sorry for rant.

Archived