Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

A Little Dissapointed In Av's Second Line Heading In To The Playoffs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Clearly we have a dilemma with Mason Raymond because when a guy like Lapierre goes on your top two lines and unexpectidly performs you got to make the right decision. Truth is Raymond can be a huge asset but Lapierre has potential also. I understand Lapierre is the man who drives the fourth ine to success. But i wa hoping we would enter playoffs with a more physical team then last year. But i feel that having Raymond in the lineup brings us back to square 1. I think we have a solid chance of winning but there has been times this year where L.A has got the best of us in the physical category. I rather bench Raymond then Manny because the team does not always show up with out Mannys leadership. Raymond can also be a distraction because you will start him on a top line he will score dirty goals for two straight games and then he wont show up. That is why I would judge Raymond by th e period. The lines should look like this.
Sedins-Burrows (If they get pushed around split the Sedins)
Lapierre-Kesler-Booth
Higgins-Pahlsson-Hansen
Bitz-Manny-Weise/Kassian

Bieksa-Hamhuis
Salo-Edler
Alberts/Tanev-Rome

Lu
Schneid

*Every single year Lappy has been in the NHL he has began the playoffs on the fourth but then ends up moving to a diffrent line. Last year cody only had one point in round 1 so they slowly faded lappy in with the third line and before you knew it he was starting every game on the third line.

Edited by 406281dylan, 09 April 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#2 Tig'ol Bitties

Tig'ol Bitties

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

Pretty sure AV knows what he's doing... :)

3Goktj2.jpg

#3 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Pretty sure AV knows what he's doing... :)

I'm sure he does also:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 09 April 2012 - 01:42 PM.

140an3r.jpg

#4 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,524 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

The decision to put Mason Raymond on the second line is correct when the Los Angeles Kings are likely going to play the trap against the Canucks. Raymond can pick up the puck in flight in the neutral zone from a good tape-to-tape pass from our defencemen and expose the backwards skating Kings.

Edited by Opmac, 09 April 2012 - 01:45 PM.

Posted Image

#5 gusadams8

gusadams8

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

I'm sure he does also:

Posted ImagePosted Image

playoffs is a new season.. lapierre should be given a shot on the 2nd line over raymond..

#6 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,524 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

I'm sure he does also:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#7 TACanucks

TACanucks

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

I'd say give Raymond a couple games on the 2nd line with Booth and Kes but if he fails to produce move him down to play with Manny/Bitz and put Lappy back on the 2nd.

#8 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

Posted Image :bigblush:

#9 JC2

JC2

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

Just because he is starting on the 2nd line doesn't mean he will stay there for the duration of the playoffs. This is Raymond's last chance at salvaging his spot on the team heading into next season so I would rather see him get the best opportunity possible to prove himself and I think AV is giving him that chance, but he will likely be on a short leash. The playoffs are when the players bring their game to the next level and we know Kesler is capable of doing it and I'm confident Booth can too so if Raymond still can't produce when the two on his line are at the top of there game then it will be official, he will have no place on team in the near future.

JC2

#10 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

The decision to put Mason Raymond on the second line is correct when the Los Angeles Kings are likely going to play the trap against the Canucks. Raymond can pick up the puck in flight in the neutral zone from a good tape-to-tape pass from our defencemen and expose the backwards skating Kings.

Exactly. We all remember how well Mitchell was able to handle Kane's speed a few seasons back.

That second line needs to expose the Kings D with their speed. Get them backing up and take the puck through the holes.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#11 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Yup. Speed kills.
Posted Image

#12 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Well Lapierre is the becoming of the next Burrows, how do you think Burrows became a first line player, by playing the same role as Lapierre and grinding his way to the top. Lapierre is the exact same player and is doing the exact same things, and he will be the next Burrows, there is a reason why these 2 players grew up only 30 mins apart from each other in Quebec. They are brothers from another mother!

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup, 09 April 2012 - 02:02 PM.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#13 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,893 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

I would like to see AV try Lappy with the Sedins.

307mg00.jpg

#14 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,622 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'd rather use game one to see what LA has to bring to the table, adjust, then crush them.

That strategy has worked on us for every recent series that we've lost. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#15 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Im a little worry about the 2nd line. But in order for Raymond to have success, he needs to use all of his speed. Espeicially against the LA D

Posted Image

#16 PowerAids

PowerAids

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

I think Raymond needs to be on the top 6 this spring....

YES, Higgins would be better on the 2nd than Raymond... but the 3rd would be so much worse with Raymond instead of Higgins.

It's more important to have Raymond on the 2nd and Higgins anchoring the 3rd than Vice Versa.

#17 Durl Dixsun

Durl Dixsun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

raymond should either pick up his game or quit and be a stay at home dad
not hating on him btw

GO :canucks: GO

Edited by Badassian9, 09 April 2012 - 02:26 PM.

Posted Image

#18 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Clearly we have a dilemma with Mason Raymond because when a guy like Lapierre goes on your top two lines and unexpectidly performs you got to make the right decision. Truth is Raymond can be a huge asset but Lapierre has potential also. I understand Lapierre is the man who drives the fourth ine to success. But i wa hoping we would enter playoffs with a more physical team then last year. But i feel that having Raymond in the lineup brings us back to square 1. I think we have a solid chance of winning but there has been times this year where L.A has got the best of us in the physical category. I rather bench Raymond then Manny because the team does not always show up with out Mannys leadership. Raymond can also be a distraction because you will start him on a top line he will score dirty goals for two straight games and then he wont show up. That is why I would judge Raymond by th e period. The lines should look like this.
Lapierre-Kesler-Booth
Higgins-Pahlsson-Hansen
Bitz-Manny-Weise/Kassian

Bieksa-Hamhuis
Salo-Edler
Alberts/Tanev-Rome

Lu
Schneid

Agreed!

#19 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Exactly. We all remember how well Mitchell was able to handle Kane's speed a few seasons back.

That second line needs to expose the Kings D with their speed. Get them backing up and take the puck through the holes.

Not to mention we get four lines doing something out there versus LA's 2.5 lines and we all saw what Boston did against us when they rolled 4 lines against our 3 lines (more like 2 lines with all the injured top-sixers like H Sedin, Samuelsson & Kesler).

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#20 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

problem with raymond is that... when he gets put down to the fourth, he doesnt play hard.

a player with his speed should be able to make the other teams 4th line (and hopefully) bottom d-pairing look silly - but the fact is, when raymond gets demoted he dissapears even harder! im SO sick of seeing raymond skate around throwing terrible passes to other teams d-men. if there is a weak spot on our team, it is raymond.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#21 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,404 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

YES .. ""Raymond breaks past the stumbling Kings defense in a burst of raw speed, cuts blindingly into the corner and falls on his face before anyone can touch him"" .. :picard:

Edited by Tearloch7, 09 April 2012 - 03:07 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#22 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

problem with raymond is that... when he gets put down to the fourth, he doesnt play hard.

a player with his speed should be able to make the other teams 4th line (and hopefully) bottom d-pairing look silly - but the fact is, when raymond gets demoted he dissapears even harder! im SO sick of seeing raymond skate around throwing terrible passes to other teams d-men. if there is a weak spot on our team, it is raymond.

I couldn't agree more. Its like he sulks or something. "av wont play me on the second line then i'm taking my fire truck and going home"
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#23 nuxforever

nuxforever

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

We need Lappy on the third/fourth line. As we know the top two lines almost always cancel each other out. It's the third and fourth line that will need to be better than the other teams 3rd and 4th line
Posted Image

waiting for the day to hear the announcer say........"As the clock winds down. They have done it! Ladies and Gentleman, Your Vancouver Canucks are STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

#24 Bar_Down16

Bar_Down16

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Lapierre-Kesler-Booth
Higgins-Pahlsson-Hansen
Bitz-Manny-Weise/Kassian

Bieksa-Hamhuis
Salo-Edler
Alberts/Tanev-Rome

Lu
Schneid

*Every single year Lappy has been in the NHL he has began the playoffs on the fourth but then ends up moving to a diffrent line. Last year cody only had one point in round 1 so they slowly faded lappy in with the third line and before you knew it he was starting every game on the third line.

You're upset with Raymond's play before the playoffs have started? Give the guy a chance. They don't call it a "second season" for nothing...

#25 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

Well Lapierre is the becoming of the next Burrows, how do you think Burrows became a first line player, by playing the same role as Lapierre and grinding his way to the top. Lapierre is the exact same player and is doing the exact same things, and he will be the next Burrows, there is a reason why these 2 players grew up only 30 mins apart from each other in Quebec. They are brothers from another mother!

....So your saying their dad was having an affair? :sadno:

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#26 Ktakatch

Ktakatch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

playoffs is a new season.. lapierre should be given a shot on the 2nd line over raymond..

you just said playoffs is a new season, so that would mean raymond should get a chance on the 2nd right?

#27 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Lapierre - Pahlsson - Hansen
Malhotra - Reinprecht - Bitz/Weise

I think the addition of Reinprecht makes Raymond somewhat more expendable if he keeps this up. But for sure, Raymond should be given a shot to start the series. But keep him on a short leash. Start the internal competition for playing time too (not that these guys need any ulterior motivation).

Those bottom 6 look damn solid. With the AMEX line reunited, our top 6 becomes that much more dominant.

AV - listen to me, because I know you read CDC forums for coaching tips! lol

#28 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

You're upset with Raymond's play before the playoffs have started? Give the guy a chance. They don't call it a "second season" for nothing...

mason raymond playoff stats 46GP 7G 8A 15 Points

he has had quite a chance, and those are some miserable top - 6 numbers.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#29 Canucklehead420

Canucklehead420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

mason raymond playoff stats 46GP 7G 8A 15 Points

he has had quite a chance, and those are some miserable top - 6 numbers.

I agree hes had several chances, mostly on the second line. if he doesnt get at least half a point a game in this years playoffs he should be dealt for whatever we can get for him.

#30 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

so can ballard , grags, kesler, booth, hansen, burrows did i miss anyone?
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.