316 replies to this topic

#61 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

Religion has been around for a LOT longer than 2000 years. I think you mean Christianity.

Also, have fun trying to prove that the 50's were some sort of idyllic time, Heretic :lol:

The very thing that is now called the Christian religion was already in existence in Ancient Egypt, long before the adoption of the New Testament. The British Egyptologist, Sir E. A. Wallis Budge, wrote in his book, The Gods of the Egyptians [1969],

The new religion (Christianity) which was preached there by St. Mark and his immediate followers, in all essentials so closely resembled that which was the outcome of the worship of Osiris, Isis, and Horus.

The similarities, noted by Budge and everyone who has compared the Egyptian Ausar/Auset/Heru (Osiris/Isis/Horus) allegory to the Gospel story, are striking. Both accounts are practically the same, e.g. the supernatural conception, the divine birth, the struggles against the enemy in the wilderness, and the resurrection from the dead to eternal life. The main difference between the “two versions”, is that the Gospel tale is considered historical and the Ausar/Auset/Heru (Osiris/Isis/Horus) cycle is an allegory.
Allegories are intentionally chosen as a means for communicating knowledge. Allegories dramatize cosmic laws, principles, processes, relationships and functions, and express them in a way easy to understand. Once the inner meanings of the allegories have been revealed, they become marvels of simultaneous scientific and philosophical completeness and conciseness. The more they are studied, the richer they become. The ‘inner dimension’ of the teachings embedded into each story make them capable of revealing several layers of knowledge, according to the stage of development of the listener. The “secrets” are revealed as one evolves higher. The higher we get, the more we see. It is always there.
The Egyptians (Ancient and present-day Baladi) did/do not believe their allegories as historical facts. They believed IN them, in the sense that they believed in the truth beneath the stories.
The Christian religion threw away and lost the very soul of their meaning when it mistranslated the Ancient Egyptian allegorical language into alleged history, instead of viewing it as spiritual allegory. The result was a pathetic, blind faith in a kind of emotional and superstitious supernaturalism, and effectively aborted the real power of the story/allegory to transform the life of every individual.
The Egyptian allegory of Auset (Isis) and Ausar (Osiris) explains practically all facets of life. This love story resonates with betrayal and loyalty, death and rebirth, forgetting and remembering, evil and righteousness, duty and compassion, the manifestation of the forces of nature, the meaning of sisterhood and brotherhood and of motherhood/fatherhood/sonhood, and the mysteries of the body, the soul, and the spirit.

before that religion basically consisted of human sacrifice , ritual offering's and worship of things in nature.
"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia
Tony Abbott......Current Australian PM

#62 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:12 AM

The oldest university in the world was founded by a female Muslim.
http://en.wikipedia....of_Al-Karaouine

as far as i am concerned up until sultan Osman the 3rd, muslim society was the most enlightened religious society in the world .
"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia

#63 please recycle

please recycle

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

Drugs everywhere, kids killing each other, road rage, you lock your door to your house, don't walk around downtown at night, yeah...it's really safe out there...

Look at the violence we have today compared to 50 years ago.

Yes, from a technological point of view we are better - from a morality point of view?  I don't think so.

So.... wait really? Those are your points for why the 50's was better? You couldn't come up with.... well literally anything more compelling than the fact that I lock my front door at night? As people have already said, civil/sexual/gender rights are immeasurably better. Most people get a legitimate shot of being happy in this day and age. Gun violence is down and war deaths are the lowest for this decade that they have been in recorded history. I'm not going to bring religion in to this but to say morality is devolving when 100 years ago I could have bought a black person, punched my wife, and raped an indian all in the same day is silly.
Posted Image

#64 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:38 AM

Drugs everywhere, kids killing each other, road rage, you lock your door to your house, don't walk around downtown at night, yeah...it's really safe out there...

Look at the violence we have today compared to 50 years ago.

Yes, from a technological point of view we are better - from a morality point of view? I don't think so.

If your "morality" is excessive paranoia and unwarranted embellishment of violent crime and behaviour, it has no place in the real world.

We are FAR better off today than 50 years ago.

Anyways, the OP was debunked pretty much immediately. Even if we pretend it were true, what the hell would it matter if Einstein was religious or believed that nonsense? Does that inherently give religion more credibility? Maybe it would for someone who has a hard time coping with reality and needs straws to grasp at to justify believing such superstitious garbage.

Edited by zaibatsu, 18 April 2012 - 05:43 AM.

How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#65 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

Religion has been around for a LOT longer than 2000 years. I think you mean Christianity.

Also, have fun trying to prove that the 50's were some sort of idyllic time, Heretic :lol:

I never said it was an idyllic time - I said the world is more violent today.
That is, people are more brutal...
We are desensitized to the violence around us...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#66 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

The desensitisation of violence comes from television and video games, violence shown on a screen.. people are not desensitised to actual violence that occurs outside of that. Once again, these views have no place in the real world. All fantasy, and a large side of hyperbole.

Edited by zaibatsu, 18 April 2012 - 06:02 AM.

#67 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

^ I don't quite remember the 50s but I remember a time when if a murder was reported on the news it was shocking because it was a rarity. People would have talked about it for a long time. I think just looking at the increase in this one crime alone over 50 years should speak for itself.
Posted Image

If the way Torts stepped up doesn't inspire anyone to work harder, I'll drive them to the airport myself.

</p>

#68 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

So.... wait really? Those are your points for why the 50's was better? You couldn't come up with.... well literally anything more compelling than the fact that I lock my front door at night? As people have already said, civil/sexual/gender rights are immeasurably better. Most people get a legitimate shot of being happy in this day and age. Gun violence is down and war deaths are the lowest for this decade that they have been in recorded history. I'm not going to bring religion in to this but to say morality is devolving when 100 years ago I could have bought a black person, punched my wife, and raped an indian all in the same day is silly.

Slavery is still gioing on in the world.
Men still abuse their wives.
Men still rape.

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#69 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

^ I don't quite remember the 50s but I remember a time when if a murder was reported on the news it was shocking because it was a rarity. People would have talked about it for a long time. I think just looking at the increase in this one crime alone over 50 years should speak for itself.

If there is an increase of murder overall it might be because Canada's population was at 13 million in the 1950s opposed to 33 million today. Logic dictates such a vast population increase means an intrinsic increase in overall crime, but lately violent crimes has gone down steadily not just in Canada but large countries like the United States which has a similar small population of nuts who have trouble with perception.

Also, the media was not as prominent back in the 50s as it was today, nor did they have the internet.. the conveyance of information was not so quick and streamlined, but I'm sure there were plenty of up-in-arms people as well back then who lacked any sort of pragmatic sensibility, so if anything maybe there's your connection.

Men still rape.

Slavery has vastly diminished.
Men always abused wives, always will.
Men always raped, always will.

Men always embellish, always will.

#70 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

Men still rape.

always was always is and always wil be so much to hate to our disgrace
Noam Chomsky

#71 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

If there is an increase of murder overall it might be because Canada's population was at 13 million in the 1950s opposed to 33 million today. Logic dictates such a vast population increase means an intrinsic increase in overall crime, but lately violent crimes has gone down steadily not just in Canada but large countries like the United States which has a similar small population of nuts who have trouble with perception.

Also, the media was not as prominent back in the 50s as it was today, nor did they have the internet.. the conveyance of information was not so quick and streamlined, but I'm sure there were plenty of up-in-arms people as well back then who lacked any sort of pragmatic sensibility, so if anything maybe there's your connection.

Wrong - didn't you see my post on the last page? it's 35% higher then 20 years ago!

From http://www.thefreera...tatsCanada.html
"The violent crime rate in Canada has gone down slightly in recent years from a peak in the early 1990s. For instance, in the year 2004, the violent crime rate fell 2%, making it 10% lower than a decade earlier. However, it was still 35% higher than 20 years ago (Source: Statistics Canada, The Daily, July 21, 2005). To put the slight decreases in perspective, between 1962 and 2006, the violent crime rate in Canada, per 100,000, went from 221 to 951, or a 300%+ increase. (See chart below "Crime rates in Canada 1962 - 2006")."

Posted Image

#72 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

Wrong - didn't you see my post on the last page? it's 35% higher then 20 years ago!

From http://www.thefreera...tatsCanada.html
"The violent crime rate in Canada has gone down slightly in recent years from a peak in the early 1990s. For instance, in the year 2004, the violent crime rate fell 2%, making it 10% lower than a decade earlier. However, it was still 35% higher than 20 years ago (Source: Statistics Canada, The Daily, July 21, 2005). To put the slight decreases in perspective, between 1962 and 2006, the violent crime rate in Canada, per 100,000, went from 221 to 951, or a 300%+ increase. (See chart below "Crime rates in Canada 1962 - 2006")."

http://publications....085-205-XIE.pdf
http://www.statcan.g...2007005-eng.pdf

1993 violent crime rate of 1081 per 100,000... 2006 has 951 per 100,000. . and it steadily decreases throughout the last 20 years.

Source: Statistics Canada

Which mirrors the USA's DOJ statistics:

1993 violent crime rate 747 ... 2006's was 470, similar steady decrease.

So the last 20 years has been getting remarkably safer, not the other way around. Hyperbole ftl.

Edited by zaibatsu, 18 April 2012 - 06:45 AM.

#73 blister soul

blister soul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

False. It's far higher than it was during the African slave trade.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#74 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,425 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Just because it happens doesn't mean it should continue to happen. If every day each person in the world would say I'm going to do a few things better to improve myself, and try and be more helpful and tolerant of my fellow humans. This world would be a pretty amazing place.

Problem is the world is full of morons, which makes it really hard to be more helpful and tolerant. :lol:
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#75 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,425 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Just because it happens doesn't mean it should continue to happen. If every day each person in the world would say I'm going to do a few things better to improve myself, and try and be more helpful and tolerant of my fellow humans. This world would be a pretty amazing place.

Problem is the world is full of morons, which makes it really hard to be more helpful and tolerant. :lol:

George take it away. (I may not agree with everything he says but it's hilarious)

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#76 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

False. It's far higher than it was during the African slave trade.

Only because the population is far higher than it was during the during the African slave trade. Per capita, its much lower than before. Then again, there is new forms of slavery such as wage slavery and people stuck in authoritarian countries such as North Korea are pretty much slaves.
Posted Image

#77 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Why do so many weak minded people believe in God?

Why do so many weak-minded people seek to assign blame for a perceived injustice...such as when Brown levelled Sedin:

Yeah getting your elbow up during a hit really makes it beautiful.

When your captain gets flattened by a hit, it must have been dirty! Such weak-minded people imagine elbows flailing, etc... ...whatever they need to avoid reality hitting them in the face.

Edited by D-Money, 18 April 2012 - 11:02 AM.

Posted Image

#78 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

The beautiful thing about being an atheist is that I CAN question without being judged or told that I'm going to burn for eternity by my friends/peers.
I question things that dont have evidence because to accept everything im told would make me a pretty hollow person.
So am I ignorant for not thinking the dinosaurs didn't exist and god placed their fossils there?
AM I ignorant for not thinking the earth is only 4000 years old?
No. I'm a free thinker for questioning these ridiculous claims.
The bibles proven wrong over and over and over.
That's proof enough that an invisible man in the sky who's made no signs of existing doesn't actually exist.
Thx
Posted Image

#79 JamesTW

JamesTW

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

First off, wanna say I do not think all atheists are ignorant....just used it for the title cause it goes well with the story. Anyways, found this on Facebook and I thought it was really cool so thought I'd share it here for showcasing and discussion. Guideline of the story which you can prefer to read or not - Atheists believe in no God for many reasons, and key ones being 'where is God', ''why is there no equality', etc... so this is a little answer for those who talk ignorantly like that.

Have a good read, and don't hate, appreciate - ...no matter what these type of 'ignorant' people say to this, they can't argue it cause we are simply using the same strategy or tactics that they do when they talk about God so why would it be untrue if we use it against them?...

Spoiler

:)

Everyone is ignhorant about something, ignorance isn't a bad thing.

#80 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,412 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

There was a man who nothing of the ways of the world. He had a lot of questions but received few answers. He nontheless lived a full and happy life. He found company in those around him who were in the same boat. He died, met his God, and got his answers then.

There was another man who knew everything. His knew all the answers in life, but lacked life's questions. He lived a life in torment of the knowledge he had. With his infinite knowledge of the universe came the infinite emptiness of the universe, and he was often alone. He died, received no additional answers in the afterlife, and remains in torment throughout eternity.

But the answer to 'life, the universe, and everything', if you want to live that life, is 42. Cheers.

TOML

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."
Posted Image

#81 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

There was a man who nothing of the ways of the world. He had a lot of questions but received few answers. He nontheless lived a full and happy life. He found company in those around him who were in the same boat. He died, met his God, and got his answers then.

There was another man who knew everything. His knew all the answers in life, but lacked life's questions. He lived a life in torment of the knowledge he had. With his infinite knowledge of the universe came the infinite emptiness of the universe, and he was often alone. He died, received no additional answers in the afterlife, and remains in torment throughout eternity.

But the answer to 'life, the universe, and everything', if you want to live that life, is 42. Cheers.

TOML

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."

what a bunch of crap , for starters it is impossible to have infinite knowledge because you would need infinite time to aquire that knowledge, and on a personal level the more knowledge i obtain i realise how much i actually do not know .
and i would like to know what you think are life's questions , because a couple of the real important one's to me are why are we here, and what is the meaning of it all , and while i never think i will find the answers to these questions that will never stop me from seeking them even though the world will not illuminate what really matters .
and if there is a god why would he make the person who has strived to gain knowledge and understanding exist in a state of ignorance and torment
so you go ahead and live in a state of ignorance which is what you seem to be inferring.
Noam Chomsky

#82 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

There was a man who nothing of the ways of the world.  He had a lot of questions but received few answers.  He nontheless lived a full and happy life.  He found company in those around him who were in the same boat.  He died, met his God, and got his answers then.

There was another man who knew everything.  His knew all the answers in life, but lacked life's questions.  He lived a life in torment of the knowledge he had.  With his infinite knowledge of the universe came the infinite emptiness of the universe, and he was often alone.  He died, received no additional answers in the afterlife, and remains in torment throughout eternity.

There was a third man who first was the former, and then through medical intervention became the latter. He decided that knowledge was a burden not worth bearing...

...hence, he took corrective action:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#83 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

"Atheists are this."
"Theists are this."

my question, why is everyone so worried about what other think of their belief? also, why is everyone so concerned about the beliefs of others?

I am agnostic and find the whole religion/atheism argument completely futile and useless.
just for fun though

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#84 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

"Atheists are this."
"Theists are this."

my question, why is everyone so worried about what other think of their belief? also, why is everyone so concerned about the beliefs of others?

I am agnostic and find the whole religion/atheism argument completely futile and useless.
just for fun though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlZtEjtlirc

i cannot speak for others but i am not concerned in what other people believe i am interested, i have an open mind and i believe i can learn from others , and from this particular thread i have learned a fascinating piece of information , that it was a muslim woman who founded the first university .
Noam Chomsky

#85 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Posted Image

#86 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,041 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

I'll take a marginally higher violent crime rate over rampant bigotry and a lower overall standard of life. Right now, per capita violence is lower than pretty much any time in history. If the loss of religiosity is to blame for the spike in violence from the 60's-90's, how do you explain the rampant violence in all sorts of religion-dominated societies over history? Correlation does not equal causation.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#87 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Get educated.
Posted Image

#88 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

Here's some more great stuff.
Call me ignorant? You're ignorant.
Posted Image

#89 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3766TOukRo&feature=related

Here's some more great stuff.
Call me ignorant? You're ignorant.

Hello pot. Meet kettle.

Posted Image

#90 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,402 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Look up the Hitchens vs. Tony Blair Munk debate. It's a good listen.
Moo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.