The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ballard Anybody?

lappykass

He said he learned a lot from being concussed.

Watching the games from the press box.

Not gonna lie seems like he had a 180 degree turn around.

No way we trade him after such a dominant performance against a team that beat us in 5.

Plus/minus stats are not exactly relevant stats, the underlying ones tell the real story.

He played against the plugs (3rd and 4th) lines majority of his shifts, averaged the smallest icetime, and was still on the ice for 2 goals against at even strength (Tanev = 0). His useless penalty in gm 2 led directly to the GWG for LA. He was a -5 chance differential in the entire series, only Salo and Hamhuis were worse (and Hammer/Salo played more mins against toughest/tough competition).

Given that he hadn't played hockey in months, they probably aren't horrible numbers - but he should have been replaced by Rome IMO (things I never thought I'd say).

Ballard is changed. He is a great defensman and looked it during the playoffs.

We will see his worth in October for sure.

He will be top 4 next season. A couple of defenseman will be traded in conjunction with a forward for a top tier blueliner this summer in Vancouver.

Ballard won't be one of them.

I like Ballard's skating, vision, physical play and great attitude. He runs around a bit too much in his own zone and I sometimes question his hockey sense, but I think he has a future in Vancouver. And the salary is the salary. You either eat it, or you move him out for someone cheaper with a similar skill set and lower cap hit. Like any of those are available....

MG has typically made one move too many. Hamhuis was a great acquisition, but we didn't need Ballard. Likewise, Pahlsson was a great addition but we didn't need Kassian.

I wish Mitchell re-signed here and we had Hamhuis as well, Cup winning team right here:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows (great top line)

Grabner - Kesler - Raymond (amazing speedy line, the 3 played great together)

Higgins - Lapierre - Booth (ex-Habs chemistry, great forechecking and can score)

Malhotra - Pahlsson - Hansen (shutdown line, all 3 are great defensively)

Edler - Hamhuis

Mitchell - Bieksa

Salo - Tanev/Rome

Alberts

Luongo

Schneider

That team probably would have won a Cup.

I agree that stats aren't everything, and really it's a small sample size. I just don't see Ballard getting top 4 minutes on this team, and when he's eating $4.2M of cap space, he's not well utilized. He's a lefty who can't play the right side. Edler and Hamhuis are ahead of him on the depth chart, unless he can consistently play better than either of them- he won't get the ice time.

MG has typically made one move too many. Hamhuis was a great acquisition, but we didn't need Ballard. Likewise, Pahlsson was a great addition but we didn't need Kassian.

I wish Mitchell re-signed here and we had Hamhuis as well, Cup winning team right here:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows (great top line)

Grabner - Kesler - Raymond (amazing speedy line, the 3 played great together)

Higgins - Lapierre - Booth (ex-Habs chemistry, great forechecking and can score)

Malhotra - Pahlsson - Hansen (shutdown line, all 3 are great defensively)

Edler - Hamhuis

Mitchell - Bieksa

Salo - Tanev/Rome

Alberts

Luongo

Schneider

That team probably would have won a Cup.

Not worth the cap hit but a great player nonetheless. I respect what he's able to do with his size, 5'11 200, dishes out huge hip checks and is this years fastest skater, for an undersized defenceman he plays with heart.

I just can't figure out why Vigneault gets angryface with Ballard, hes the coach V kind of guy that starts something and fights his own battles.

I agree that stats aren't everything, and really it's a small sample size. I just don't see Ballard getting top 4 minutes on this team, and when he's eating $4.2M of cap space, he's not well utilized. He's a lefty who can't play the right side. Edler and Hamhuis are ahead of him on the depth chart, unless he can consistently play better than either of them- he won't get the ice time.

What did you guys think of his post-season performance? I thought he looked absolute fantasic and did exactly what we thought he could do, all while getting 3rd pairing minutes. He was energetic, smart, and played with speed and power. Would you trade him in the offseason or try him out for the first 15 games or so with top 4 minutes? All opinoins are welcome:P

I'm glad to hear you say that about stats, they really are misleading, kudos to you for not relying solely on them. I agree that Ballard is not well utilized and I don't know if he will ever be given the opportunity to play top four minutes (for at least a few games straight) even if he does outplay his companions. For that to happen it would take a change in either the coach's hockey philosophy (team system by extension) or a change in coaching itself. Neither is likely to happen, but at least we have Ballard in case we run into injury problems or the like. I hope we keep him for the long haul.

Archived