Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Gary Roberts Calls Mike Gillis A 'moron' For Comments About Hodgson

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
338 replies to this topic

#91 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

Yeah i'm sure you know all these prospects that the Canucks have drafted have cringed inside when being drafted by the Canucks.

I'm sure the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Tanev, Hansen, Schneider and more have all regretted being drafted by the Canucks. Look at how bad these players are? Such bad development eh? Boy they are REALLY mismanaging these guys. Just horrible.

Burrows was never drafted (by any team), he was signed to a AHL pro tryout by the Moose, and then from there he was signed by the Canucks.

#92 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Gillis did the right thing in trading him if he didn't wanna stay here... but he's an idiot for telling the media about it.

I don't agree. It was just running and running and the media, when they don't get what they want tend to make it up as they go. MG took away their oxygen on that one and it died..........it died on here too, until now. So yes he did the right thing.

Edited by Bodee, 30 April 2012 - 10:46 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#93 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Burrows was never drafted (by any team), he was signed to a AHL pro tryout by the Moose, and then from there he was signed by the Canucks.

Yeah you're right that was miss worded by me. But my point still stands true as Burrows was developed by the Canucks and is a true success story.
Posted Image

#94 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,828 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

Gillis had his say.

The Team will have Cody's father and agent on air and the other side will have their say.

Roberts was the first anybody here has ever heard of anybody supporting Cody or telling his side.

Now we will get a balanced view and those that have questioned Cody and his 'camp' on this board will have to hear it.

Edited by nuck nit, 30 April 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#95 canidiot

canidiot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

i find it funny that cody would want to take the high road, but not ask his agent to do the same. what is the difference?
i'll take the high road and my camp will do my dirty work.
do they work for him or do they treat him like a child?

#96 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

Gillis had his say.

The Team will have Cody's father and agent on air and the other side will have their say.

Roberts was the first anybody has ever heard of anybody supporting Cody.

Now we will get a balanced view and those that have questioned Cody and his 'camp' on this board will have to hear it.

Has the TEAM 1040 announced an interview yet? It would certainly be interesting to hear their perspective.

Edit: I don't see anything on their twitter feed, so I suppose this is just a prediction.

Edited by WeatherWise, 30 April 2012 - 10:52 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#97 Oh Whisht

Oh Whisht

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

It would appear that 'they' run his life.

#98 Puck'nAnimal

Puck'nAnimal

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

I rewatched his draft day...His body language didn't make it look as if he wanted to be here.

Canucks_Fan_rs.jpg

#99 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

When it looked like Cody Hodgson was going to be a star, his days as a Canuck were numbered.

Just look at the big market draft picks of 2008:

5. Schenn. Bust? Trade bait?
10. Hodgson. Close to busting. Traded.
11. Beach. Fairly close to being a bust.
16. Colbourne. Traded.
19. Sbisa. Traded.
30. McCollum. Not even close to the big league.

imo You're not allowed to be a successful team and get decent draft picks unless you're one of the inner circle who is due to win the cup. Philly. NYR. They have paid their dues. The Canucks are up there, but they're not even close. And now the prime years of the Sedins are wasted.

It would not surprise me to see the Habs and Laffs win the cup again before the Canucks win one. Possibly the Oilers as well. And don't forget about Buffalo. The Canucks apparently still need to pay their dues. I say let us sign more and more free agents to ridiculous contracts and merely bury them like NYR and Philly do all the time. (Hey, does Wade Redden get his name on the cup if NYR wins?) Cheers.

TOML

What contract did Philly bury?

Surely you're not suggesting the NHL has the power to determine which prospects develop into stars and which ones bust... :picard:

#100 Beaken

Beaken

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

I rewatched his draft day...His body language didn't make it look as if he wanted to be here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O97_2fOPjQ

I hope that was sarcasm... Looks like the same reaction as every other player that gets drafted. They're not going to hop and skip to the podium

#101 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Gary Roberts is a moron. He works for the Dallas stars but trains players from around the league so they can end Dallas' season early. What an idiot.

#102 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,938 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

Gary Roberts is a moron. He works for the Dallas stars but trains players from around the league so they can end Dallas' season early. What an idiot.

Yah an idiot who trains other players for what I am sure amounts to a hell of lot of money. Jeez what an idiot for not just being happy with his paycheck during the season but actually does something to get more money in the off season when his duties with Dallas are done.

What kind of idiot wants to make more money? What kind of idiot wants to help budding NHL stars see their full potential which is better for the game of hockey in general and therefore the Dallas Stars?

Geez Gary Roberts must be huge moron. :picard:
Posted Image

#103 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Yah I am serious, think about a FA that just moved his Family to a new city, maybe bought a house or leased a Condo for a year, believing they are part of a teams overall plan moving forward at least for the near future, then oh sorry you're traded to the other side of the continent. Yes they are big boys and are professionals but I am positive that there is a certiain degree of seeing what a GMs track record is in the final signing desicion.

I'm sick and tired of these idiotic comments. Like, "if you trade Luongo, no Ufa will ever want to sign here". Guess what I have a few names for you. Gomez and Redden. Who signed still Gaborik and Richards.

#104 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

This is what Roberts’ had to say about Mike Gillis’ comments:
I talked to Cody after this came out with Gillis,” Roberts said. “I know he’s on vacation, and I said, ‘Hey, I know you went through a lot of stress. How are you feeling about some of those comments?’ He said, ‘Gary, I’ve dealt with a lot of stuff there in the last three years, and I’m just going to take the high road.
“For me, I’d like to be the guy that looks at Mike Gillis and says, ‘You’re a moron.’ It doesn’t really do anybody any good other than the fact that Mike Gillis looks like, as they say on TSN, a dud.”

But this is Gary Roberts, the guy that is systematically pumping out more NHL talent than the midwife at the Staal farm. Roberts continued on with his critique of Mike Gillis’ comments:
“I listened to Mike Gillis the other day,” Roberts said by phone over the weekend, “and my impression was, ‘Are you kidding me?’
“If anybody knew this kid, this young man, to know what he went through mentally and physically for two summers trying to find out what the heck was wrong with him — of course they dealt with his issues more than anybody else in the organization because he was injured and they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with him.
It almost was like they thought he didn’t want to work. Well, I can tell you that this kid out of all the kids that I train, he’s up there in the [Steven] Stamkos group as far as commitment and determination. What I tell him, he does, so I know he’s coachable and I love working with him.”
“Last summer, we trained him the way he should be trained. That was one summer of training in three he was really able to do what he needed to do.”- Gary Roberts
“He’s a pretty strong kid, but it’s his speed and power that we’re really going to focus on this summer. Now that he’s healthy I have a pretty good feeling that he will be a faster and more powerful guy in September, which will help him develop into the player that he should have been two years ago if he would have been healthy.” – Gary Roberts

From these quotes it sure seems like Gary was talking about Cody's physical conditioning and sure sounds like he thought MG traded him because he was lazy/ "unwilling to work". That's quite a stretch from MG's allegations that Cody wanted to play more minutes which weren't going to be available for him in Vancouver, though.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#105 tayloreg

tayloreg

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

So Roberts is backing his client? I'd expect nothing less.

And MG is tossing the kid under a bus deflect from his own shortcomings? I'd expect nothing less.

#106 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

Former NHL curmudgeon Gary Roberts...

Maybe something more than a fitness attitude has rubbed off on Hodgson.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#107 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,938 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

I'm sick and tired of these idiotic comments. Like, "if you trade Luongo, no Ufa will ever want to sign here". Guess what I have a few names for you. Gomez and Redden. Who signed still Gaborik and Richards.

What planet are you on? where did I say if you trade Luongo no UFA will ever want to sign here? Where the F#$@ do you get Gomez and Redden whose situations were way way different than Marco Sturm. Grab a clue bud.
Posted Image

#108 Puck'nAnimal

Puck'nAnimal

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

I hope that was sarcasm... Looks like the same reaction as every other player that gets drafted. They're not going to hop and skip to the podium

I'm not saying he should have hopped and skipped, but the players who get selected to a team that they want to play for usually step up and actually look like they want to be there. I didn't see that in Hodgson and I remember saying to myself back in 2008, |He doesn't want to be here. This isn't going to work out well." I guess I was right.

Canucks_Fan_rs.jpg

#109 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

What planet are you on? where did I say if you trade Luongo no UFA will ever want to sign here? Where the F#$@ do you get Gomez and Redden whose situations were way way different than Marco Sturm. Grab a clue bud.

Say it with me okay. "If team give me money, I want money I agree" "food want on the table, if i trade i go to other team still get food" okay bye bye.

#110 Canuckfan1968

Canuckfan1968

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Gary Roberts needs to stfu who asked this moron for his opinion and who really cares,its done its over with,leave it be. Stay in the gym you babbling monkey. His parents should have taught him to mind his own business.

#111 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,306 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Coments like this do not help us at all.
Posted Image

#112 iinteenseee

iinteenseee

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Anyone can defend Gillis if they want, but the one fact that makes Gillis' comments about Hodgson an ABSOLUTE JOKE:

In the last 3 years, we've lost Luc Bourdon to a fatal crash, Rick Rypien commits suicide....... but Cody Hodgson has had more time spent on him than all other players COMBINED??!?!?!?!!

WTF was Gillis thinking with that one?

You know, given that Cody's father and his agent are completely dickheads who are obsessed with fame/money, is it really that surprising to you? The CoHo problems have started from the day he got drafted and they've were ongoing until the day he got traded.

I read a comment earlier that AV must've had some say in this trade.. I don't disagree, but at the same time, I don't think he would've agreed to moving him unless the problems were affecting the locker room and the rest of the team. It's easy to sit back and be an armchair coach/GM but at the end of the day, we're not the ones sitting in that room

I think people are overreacting to MG's comments a bit here. He didn't actually reveal too much, JUST enough to defend himself from the vicious media and the idiots who blamed him (because apparently, Cody was the reason we got destroyed in the first round :picard: ). I can bet that if MG didn't explicitly say this, CDC and the media would still be calling for his head.

Basically what he said was "Cody's team was a PITA that caused problems for a long time now. I didn't want it to affect the rest of the team so I traded him."

MG trades Cody, everybody whines. MG explains why he trades Cody, everyone whines. What would you guys like him to do to please you all?

#113 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Gary is right, Gillis was a complete moron on this.
Posted Image

#114 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

Gary was a player that struggled with long term injury as well, I can see him being sensitive about this kind of thing.

And Mike Gillis wouldn't be? Heck, his career was cut to 246 games and he could never show his potential at the NHL level. He retired 6 years after he was drafted and his career high in points was 18.. he was a 5th overall pick. Roberts played 1224 games, 130 playoff games, won a cup with CGY and had 4 70+ point seasons.

GMMG's comments clearly had nothing to do with the injury, but with Hodgson, his father and his agent demanding things he hadn't earned yet.

#115 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

imo It's not so much the whole back injury debacle, but the THREE AGENTS so far in his brief career that put a red flag up on Cody.

So he gets hurt in camp. Why another agent? And then why another? What are those agents going to do to help him with his injury? All they would do is assist him in his quest to be traded.

To me, it appears that Cody never wanted to be a Canuck. Our version of Kyle Turris and Blake Wheeler.

What i don't buy for a second is the icetime argument. He got 2nd power play time and cushy 3rd line center time.

What i am worried about is the shill job on Kassian as well. Gillis says players like him are never made available in a trade. Well, then why was he made available?!? Cheers.

TOML

Gillis didn't say that. Gillis said "players like that never get traded after they've been developed."

Trying to poach David Backes after he had already put up 23g 31a 54pts & 332 hits (including finishing #5 overall in hits in '07-'08) in 121gp isn't going to work. However, he probably could have gotten him for a poacher's price while he was still in College but while we're on the subject of Backes I guess it's pretty clear today that Gillis should've ponied up his "Porsche" (Hodgson) instead of whatever crap was actually offered.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#116 Florence

Florence

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

What contract did Philly bury?

Philly doesn't really bury contracts as much as they work loopholes in the cap. For example if a player is ether done or close to being done instead of letting them retire or buying them out they have kept them on the payroll as a LTIR until the contract expires (Hatcher, Lapierrere, Rathje, soon to be Pronger). The only contract they buried in the minors was Denis Gauthier's. And they are notorious for signing players then trading them as seen with Richards, Carter, and Lupul. Gagne was a cap casualty also. Traded for Versteeg and traded him away less then a season later.

Philly hasn't really had a Wade Redden situation but they do go a little nuts working the cap and contracts.

Mako1_zpsa4tfuwwx.gif

#117 ChronCanuck

ChronCanuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

coach AV does not usually like playing with youngsters, and usually plays favorites. e.g tanner glass gets more ice time than kassian in the playoffs, or benching ballard destroying his confidence and prefers having journeyman plug rome over him. get rid of him first. then hodgson's request about trading could very well change.

besides booth hodgson kesler 2nd line would work as hodgson IS a playmaker but ???? AV doesnt see that and NEVER gave that a chance that at least. kesler could also use his speed more. as a center u dont need to be super fast if ure a playmaker u can set up goals which booth and kesler are both shooters.

then u would have higgins pahlsson hansen as 3rd line.

and all the hodgson trade for kassian, where was he? right he was...non-existant in the playoffs. gragnani didnt even play which that is completely understandable as we had full healthy D lineup.

Edited by ChronCanuck, 30 April 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#118 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

In my view, there never would have been such problems if AV hadn't been a prick, calling out Hodgson in the media making it seem like Hodgson was just lazy and looking for excuses. Doing that to the organization's prized prospect serves no purpose.

When Hodgson was finally getting healthy, we saw a good player, who when lined up against other rookies in the league was performing as well as those being mentioned for Calder consideration, except he was playing 5-6 minutes less per game than those players but keeping reasonable pace with them in scoring. As I said before, other teams managed 3 good centers icetime FAR better. Hodgson's camp had said, they simply asked for more ice time. AV didn't want to do that, even when Kesler was injured. No logic there.

When Hodgson got traded, he honestly sounded shocked. He didn't sound like a guy who had asked to be moved. I personally think he asked to get more ice time, AV wasn't going to do it, and MG moved him.

Roberts knows about hard work, his picture should be used as the definition. He has always been a character guy that is widely respected. If he says Hodgson works as hard as anyone, I believe what he said.

My money says, Hodgson asked for more icetime, which was deserved, AV still had his grudge against Hodgson and wouldn't use him more, MG moved him because it wasn't going to get resolved with both AV and Hodgson here, the trade did not turn out as good as he hoped and MG became very defensive - trying to deflect blame from himself. I've been an MG supporter all along, but this felt cowardly to me.

#119 sQuish

sQuish

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

This will go down as one of the biggest flop trades in Canucks history; all because Gillis didn't know how to manage a misdiagnosed back injury and let personal issues with a player's agent/family get in the way of a sound business decision.

Just wait until next season when Cody's pumping out 60-70 points in Buffalo and Zach's riding the pine or playing for the Wolves. What a waste of the best prospect we've had since Kesler.

It's not like we had to trade him. So what if Cody's camp was asking for more ice-time, does that mean he gets it? Does that mean Cody was going to stop playing or showing up to practice if he didn't get it? No. He was still under contract. He would have still performed. After all, Cody loves the game, and still wanted to establish himself and get proven.

#120 Nomadman

Nomadman

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O97_2fOPjQ

Did you only watch 'body language' (a questionable testing method) and ignore all of the audio???
It seems uncharacteristic of MG to make personal comments about any player, so why the poisonous comments about CoHo??
Probably butt-covering by MG for the mismanagement and coaching errors (including media comments by AV about CoHo not having a real injury - idiotic comments by AV with no 'up side' to them.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.