The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Replaces Kesler?

Mandango

Kesler's injury should motivate Shroeder this summer. A lot of trolls will say he isn't going to amount to much but many small players take time to develop (Savard, St Louis, Briere, McDonald). He is the all time leader in points in US Junior history. He's going to be a good player, patience Nucks

Lappy will.....AV won't let a youngster step up right away - a good Hodgson couldn't even get up there, so it'll likely be a veteran player and Lappy is the perfect guy.

Who will fill in for Kesler though? I'm guessing Jensen will get called up for sure to start the year, and Schroeder will play games here and there while Jensen becomes a regular, at least as long as Kesler is out for.

I bet Gillis works towards picking up a 2nd/3rd line center that will replace Kesler on the 2nd line until he is healthy and then move to the 3rd when Kes comes back. Not sure how he works this in - whether it is part of free agency or part of a trade. I really think Gillis wil try to put a 3rd line together similar to the one we had a few years ago (Torres-Malhotra-Hansen) who were great in our defensive end, can win key face-offs, had a great forecheck, but also went through spurts where they could the puck in the net.

My questions are:

1. What does everyone think of Paul Gaustad as a 3rd line center (or 2nd until Kesler gets back)

2. Do we think Manny will ever get back to his form from pre-injury to resume his role as 3rd line center?

The fact that people are even suggesting Lapierre or Ebbett as our #2 C shows me just how many morons follow this team.

Schroeder is the guy that should get it. He has been in our system, taking the right path that our team has intended and done his dues getting better. If AV puts Lapierre on 2nd line C, this team can write off another year and I can save myself a TON of time from watching average hockey players playing important roles.

I think what will happen is the toss jordan in and see how he does during the pre-season, if he can hold his own they go with him until Kes is healthy. If not then Gillis may have to pull the trigger on a trade early like he did last year

Well with AV still here, Schroeder will get 3rd line minutes, the occasional 2nd PP unit minutes, and then as Gillis says, he will be put in more offensive roles to show case him for trade, because we will need to find a player who will help us going into the playoffs, a guy we will have to wait for 3-4 years down the road for anyways. Then AV will experiment again and put Raymond as the Center.

Gonna get ugly, this is why we needed Hodgson and why Hodgson needed us - he would have gotten his turn eventually if he was more patient and less selfish.

Instead, I say Lapierre with Higgins and Booth. Lapierre is essentially a poor-man's Kesler anyway and his shot looked about as dangerous as Kesler's last season too. He needs more of an opportunity to produce offensively and this is his big chance. Plus, he has plenty of chemistry with Higgins.

Maybe even throw Booth on the top line and put Burrows with Lapierre and Higgins, because Burrows and Lapierre showed great chemistry while playing together too.

Honestly, gillis should sign a free agent centre to a 1-yr deal. Have Shroeder centre the 3rd line and Lappy the fourth, then whom ever gillis signs is on the 2nd line.

Archived