The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alain Vigneault's Extension In Vancouver Presumably Completed In The Next Two Weeks

-Vintage Canuck-

does this team not work hard nearly every game and all players top to bottom?????????

has Av not shown he can play shutdown hockey(early years) or a more offensive tempo game (later years)?

do the players not say(geniunly) they like playing for him?

does this team nopt have great team chemistry or team bonding?

just stating the above to show whats important to a team and coaching doesnt seem to be a big deal due to what AV has accomplished(even with some faults)

Considering we were still using that friggin drop pass in the playoffs (who can forget that drop pass by Edler just inside our blue line which cost us a goal) when it was abundantly clear for two months that every team in the league had scouted and were prepared for it, I wouldn't hold out that hope. It's little things like not making the adjustments on the break out that has many, including myself, wondering if indeed it might be time for a coaching change.

If AV is re-signed I probably won't watch much of the canucks next season, I mean he couldn't even change our breakout in the playoffs and the drop pass on the powerplay and thats just the start of the list...

Then again Bowman took over a team coming off a 103 point season that included guys like Yzerman, Fedorov, Shephard, Coffey, Lidstrom, Kozlov, Primeau, Draper, Fetisov, Konstantinov and an owner that didn't care how high the payroll was. And it still took Bowman 3 years (and more spending: Shanahan, Murphy and Holmstrom) to win the cup after a first round exit to the Sharks the year before. AV on the other hand hasn't coached the "favored team" or even a "contender" for six years like the team Bowman inherited. AV took over a team that had just missed the playoffs and was expected to again in his first year. This was just his second year coaching a "favored team" and third coaching a "contender". While Bowman coached a Detroit team that was already a "contender" when he took over.

Nuck's main problem is that they have become what I call "maximum minimalists" under AV. They do the absolute bare minimum to win. They took that philosophy to another level in the second half of the season, squeaking out one goal wins many of which they should not have won. Law of averages being what it is caught up to them in playoffs. Every time they went up by one the effort would drop 30%, they would resort to dump ins and essentially wait for the other side to tie.

I don't know if they thought that it would have been a crime to go up by 2 or more, but they certainly played like it. Worst score in hockey to be in. The trailing side can smell it and always ups their game. Not to mention that it must be pretty taxing on the defenders.

A bad ass coach is what this team needs in the worst way.

Nuck's main problem is that they have become what I call "maximum minimalists" under AV. They do the absolute bare minimum to win. They took that philosophy to another level in the second half of the season, squeaking out one goal wins many of which they should not have won. Law of averages being what it is caught up to them in playoffs. Every time they went up by one the effort would drop 30%, they would resort to dump ins and essentially wait for the other side to tie.

I don't know if they thought that it would have been a crime to go up by 2 or more, but they certainly played like it. Worst score in hockey to be in. The trailing side can smell it and always ups their game. Not to mention that it must be pretty taxing on the defenders.

A bad ass coach is what this team needs in the worst way.

I wonder how these players wouldve developed under AV if nonis was still in charge or if gillis on top helped spearhead the development while AV played a minimal role. ESP with Schneider it wasn't until this year that AV felt under his own power that he would choose to play him in a meaningful way. Even last year I distinctly remember that AV was resistant to the schedule that gillis made to give Schneider 25 regular season games.

Also to be more specific I'd say that AV is weak at developing pure offensive players. Players like Sundin and demitra had troubles in the past while young pure offensive guys like grabner and hodgson had more trouble.

Gillis emphasized better player development when he came on board and influenced AV to change to an offensive system.

I wonder how much really was the coach in terms of developing the above players.

Exactly, Sundin helped develop the Sedins and Kesler more then AV ever did, AV may have helped players like Burrows and Hansen, but there is no way he helped anyone develop their offensive game, otherwise Grabner and Hodgson, Shirokov etc would have got more ice time and more chances to succeed and develop.

The notion that Sundin in a few months here helped develop these players into all stars is ridiculous. Why didn't he develop anyone in Toronto? If the players said anything like that they were being courteous. Anything less would make their GM look stupid.

For the record Grabner (as much as I liked him) was waived by Florida. He had a good season playing on the first line, along side a budding all star (Tavares) on a team that had zero pressure on it. For the record, last year he was a -18. He's a soft player who wouldn't be of much use in the playoffs. He would have been murdered in the Boston series.

Shirokov? What's he done since leaving here?

Don't tell me the Sedins having a huge increase in points and same with Kesler scoring 41 goals was just a coincidence after Sundin left. I agree he might not have helped develop them that much, but atleast a little.

Grabner I agree, but I still think we gave up on him a little early.

Shirokovs been lighting up the KHL since he left, he never got a fair chance with us, his last game he played up here he scored on a nice deke that even surprisded Kesler. But of course AV decides to cut his ice time and bench him after.

AV will never like offensively skilled players. Why do you think Naslund, Schneider, Hodgson, Linden etc, didn't like him?

It's time for a change, he's had 6 years and made it past the 2nd round once. With the talent the canucks have from goalie up to their forwards, that's just unnacceptable.

Then again Bowman took over a team coming off a 103 point season that included guys like Yzerman, Fedorov, Shephard, Coffey, Lidstrom, Kozlov, Primeau, Draper, Fetisov, Konstantinov and an owner that didn't care how high the payroll was. And it still took Bowman 3 years (and more spending: Shanahan, Murphy and Holmstrom) to win the cup after a first round exit to the Sharks the year before. AV on the other hand hasn't coached the "favored team" or even a "contender" for six years like the team Bowman inherited. AV took over a team that had just missed the playoffs and was expected to again in his first year. This was just his second year coaching a "favored team" and third coaching a "contender". While Bowman coached a Detroit team that was already a "contender" when he took over.

Exactly, Sundin helped develop the Sedins and Kesler more then AV ever did, AV may have helped players like Burrows and Hansen, but there is no way he helped anyone develop their offensive game, otherwise Grabner and Hodgson, Shirokov etc would have got more ice time and more chances to succeed and develop.

Bowman took over a team that was already a "contender" you say. OK well, just like Nonis and Burke providing the core and MG taking it to the next level. So can the right coach, taking this contender and win us a cup a la Bowman in Detroit.

I think AV has done a great job in many regards..... I mean he is the most winningest coach in Canucks history but I feel we need someone new going forward, and I believe Mg will do just that.

Archived