The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vigneault’S ‘Charm’ Could Split Canucks Locker-Room (The Province)

bryguy26

Too funny haha, if u believe TG, your truely an idiot..

I love the part where he says kesler has friends on the team that said they don't like AV.. Care to give some examples tony??.. He should get a job with fox news, he's got their bs reporting system down pat

If anything, my complaint about AV is that he doesn't rip his players enough.

You think Torts would p-foot his way around Kesler's season? Darryl Sutter? Yeah, whatever his retarded mumblings you could decifer would almost certainly be sour as well.

Kinda tired of some 'who cares' comment by AV being used as an excuse for certain players to want out. Christ, they're PROS. I never bought that lamebrain argument for a second when it was blamed as Hodgson's reason for wanting out. Horse.

Feed it to someone else. Cheers.

TOML

FREAKING THANK YOU!!!! Nail hit squarely on the head no matter who wrote it. We're off to a wonderful start with AV and we haven't even reached the draft yet. Spills the beans about Lu confirming that he'll be traded when Gillis just a day or two ago said he may not be and then throw's Kes under the bus to minimize his own shortcomings.

What a joke! Unless he's fired part way through the season get ready for another early playoff exit in 2012/2013.

I said this when Vancouver was playing like crap mid-Feb to mid-March...

AV needs to get mad.. He can't let the players play awful and then expect/let them handle everything themselves. They might as well not even have a coach if that's what the plan is.

AV needs to give them a kick in the ass sometimes. Remind them who's in charge, and what they are playing for. Even a punishment would be better than just sitting there and giving them there paycheck after a 5-0 loss. Playing half-ass'd is unacceptable for a team like this....

Tony is a good read here, as always, and I happen to agree with his take on Vig. Where In disagree with Tony is on Gillis.

I would send them both packing, but I I could only fire one it would be Gillis, Vig, I feel, could be influenced in a positive way by a strong GM.

who cares who wrote this article. I also hate the contract extension like many others. I was hoping finally we will get a fresh start and all we are getting are the same old crap. This team isn't getting any better with the core getting another year older and Kesler is out for extended time (hence no time to work on his shot in the off season). AV's coaching style isn't getting any better neither and year after year we get burnt in the playoffs.

What was MG thinking.....

When former general manager Dave Nonis first hired Alain Vigneault and then a year later elevated him from Manitoba to be the Canucks head coach, he warned everyone that this guy would say things people would find upsetting.

And as Willie Mitchell, Cody Hodgson and now Ryan Kesler for the second time have discovered, Nonis had a pretty good idea of what he was talking about. Kesler found himself under the Vigneault bus once again Wednesday when the coach was enjoying a self-serving, post contract-extension conference call with the media and took a break from listing his accomplishments to tell everyone he didn’t think the American centre’s injury was a factor in his poor playoff performance.

Kesler’s agent Kurt Overhardt danced pretty well Thursday before saying his client was “perplexed” by Vigneault’s comments. And while the player wasn’t talking publicly, he wasn’t amused, just as Cody Hodgson and his camp were not amused when Dr. Vigneault essentially suggested the player had no significant health problems but was using them as an excuse for a poor performance in his first camp. Later examinations found the back problem and once it was fixed Hodgson eventually became a productive member of the team although the tension between the two was never repaired and it eventually led to Hodgson’s departure. Now the discreet charm of Dr. Vigneault nails Kesler in much the same way.

And here the Canucks had better be careful because unless someone gets a handle on this pretty quickly and some back-pedaling takes place, you could easily find this team split into two camps when they resume play under Toe Blake again this fall. Kesler has some friends on this team, some of whom are not fans of Vigneault to begin with and who were very much unimpressed with the lack of preparation for the LA Kings series. They will not be thrilled at these latest developments in the least. They could easily find themselves in disagreement with the country club types who very much like Vigneault’s ‘let the players take ownership’ style whereby he’s never in anyone’s face. That group is almost certainly led by the Sedins who enjoy all the good things life has to offer here, and we’re not just talking the wine on charters and in house executive chef.

Consider they are out for most offensive zone faceoffs, they play 90 seconds plus of every power play no matter how it’s going, never have to kill penalties and the coach comes valiantly to their defence publicly whenever they decide to go without a goal for 10 games. What’s not to like here? They have to be kicking their heels in delight at the extension of their favorite spokesman. And they will have their own camp of comfortable pro AV types with them, all good fun if you like differing views, differing approaches.

The reaction around the league to the Vigneault extension is pretty clear. Everyone agrees he is a good coach including this agent. His regular season record is outstanding and he’ll coach in this league for as long as he likes, that’s a given. But everyone spoken to has roughly the same response which goes like this: ‘Why does a team with this kind of talent keep going with such a defensive coach?’ You hear it everywhere, from GMs, other coaches, scouts, players and agents.

Mike Gillis, Laurence Gilman and associates have assembled a terrific roster here and we think the goal is still a Stanley Cup, not President’s trophies. What makes them think Vigneault can get them to the big prize here is the curious part given he couldn’t win it with the ‘10-11 dream team.

Consider this was a once in a generation team that some franchises will never enjoy. It was No. 1 in goals for, goals against, power play, wins, points and faceoffs and fourth on the penalty kill. They had Mr. Art Ross, Mr. Selke and the two Mr. Jennings and were favored in every series they played in that playoff. The timely injury to Sami Salo had allowed for salary cap breaks to facilitate both Kevin Bieksa and the aging Finn to be on the same quality back end, the former starting the season late leaving him fresh for the playoff run. And as a group, they were profoundly hungry after two previous second round exits. It was a perfect storm team, very much like the one Chicago enjoyed the season before, the one no GM can ever keep together.. Still, he couldn’t win.

Now, after the same players have heard the same speeches for seven years by the time next spring’s playoffs begin, this message is going to resonate and they’ll sweep to a Cup with a lesser team?

Nothing in this game is impossible but the odds on that happening can’t be good.

© Copyright © The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1vpnH3zNx

Vigneault is a good coach, in fact he's a great coach... in the regular season. But he is not someone who will win you a Stanley Cup. He'll give you President's Trophies, Western Conference Titles and Division Banners up the ying yang if that's whats important to you. But I thought what we wanted here was a Cup! I really don't care how they get into the playoff's as long as they hoist that shiney silver cup over their heads at the end of it.

Last Year I feel like Vigneault was the single biggest reason we lost in the cup final. He was out coached plain and simple. Something that's become very repetitive over the last few years. You know when the turning point of the series was?? Game 3 at the start of the 2nd period when Loungo skates out and stays in goal after letting in 4. The fact Alain didnt pull him in between periods was ridiculous... RIDICULOUS! Instead of Lou taking a break on the bench and being able to prepare and focus for the next game, what happens? He gets embarrassed and gets pulled later on, destroying his confidence and blows the next game too. That simple decision is what started the downward spiral to another year.. cupless.

He had his chance, we need to move on. I remember at the beginning of this season after Mac T was hired "everyone" was saying this was Alains last chance and anything less than a Stanley Cup final showing means he would get the axe. What happened to that? How many more chances does this man get?

FREAKING THANK YOU!!!! Nail hit squarely on the head no matter who wrote it. We're off to a wonderful start with AV and we haven't even reached the draft yet. Spills the beans about Lu confirming that he'll be traded when Gillis just a day or two ago said he may not be and then throw's Kes under the bus to minimize his own shortcomings.

What a joke! Unless he's fired part way through the season get ready for another early playoff exit in 2012/2013.

Gallagher and Botchford are terrible for 'The Province'. This guys love to just stir the pot and create controversy. But that is their job - writing in a hockey hungry market, they have to write about something.

But on the actual topic of AV:

Everyone take a deep breath and let's take a look at what's going on.

Good:

- AV has the most wins out of any Canucks coach (this has to do in part with the players he has - the last 5 years are arguably the best 'teams' we've had as a franchise. But it still takes a good coach to make things work

- Won the Jack Adams (coach of the year)

- back to back 50 win seasons

- 1 Stanley Cup appearance - came to within one game. And obviously if that game had gone our way, we wouldn't be having this convo!

These are pretty good 'stats' for a coach. If AV didn't sign, he would have been snatched up by someone else. If someone else was out there that MG believe would have suited the team better - he obviously would have gone that direction.

Many many Canuck fans are so fickle - let's be realistic here people. AV is one hek of coach and of course like other coaches/players/management etc he'll have weaknesses too! For some reason a lot of us Canuck fans think we're gonna be in the cup final every year now. Doesn't work that way folks!

I was highly disappointed after the loss to LA - but you look at them now and you realize how good they're playing and how crappy we played. that leads me to the bad..

Bad:

Player/coach relationships - this one is tricky, AV doesn't like to be all fuzzy/wuzzy with his players and act as their best friends. He gives them the dressing room.

- His calling out may be a means of motivating players, but sometimes it feels like there are adverse effects.

- He's honest and apparently we think this hurts players feelings - these guys are professional athletes, they should know how to deal with it.

There's probably more that people will put down - something about rookies, or whatever.

Overall, he's a good coach. And he has to work on some things like others do.

Good move MG

he warned everyone that this guy would say things people would find upsetting.

And as Willie Mitchell, Cody Hodgson and now Ryan Kesler for the second time have discovered,

Really? 3 guys in how many years? Find me another head coach in this league who hasn't occasionally called out player.

Kesler has some friends on this team, some of whom are not fans of Vigneault to begin with and who were very much unimpressed with the lack of preparation for the LA Kings series. They will not be thrilled at these latest developments in the least. They could easily find themselves in disagreement with the country club types who very much like Vigneault’s ‘let the players take ownership’ style whereby he’s never in anyone’s face. That group is almost certainly led by the Sedins who enjoy all the good things life has to offer here, and we’re not just talking the wine on charters and in house executive chef.

This type of journalism is disgusting. Biased and 100% speculation. What players Tony? Care to name them? No? Because you can't.

But everyone spoken to has roughly the same response which goes like this: ‘Why does a team with this kind of talent keep going with such a defensive coach?’ You hear it everywhere, from GMs, other coaches, scouts, players and agents.

Really Tony? Which GMs have been saying this? Which coaches and scouts?

Such disgusting journalism. This is why bandwagon fans (not hating on them, there's plenty of room) who don't follow the team all season end up hating AV and Luongo - it's after reading this biased crap.

Tony Gallagher is an angry bag of bones. His bitter outlook is unwelcome and hopefully Rick Grimes shows up and puts him out of his misery.

However, I highly doubt Vigneault will ever bring a Stanley Cup here. Why?

• He openly criticizes his players to the media. Sure Kesler could play better, but throwing him under the bus will cause a rift within the team. That is fact and it is completely unprofessional

• He is a predictable coach. Julien and Sutter knew what he was going to do and countered with success.

• He plays favorites.

He has a great record. Great. Two Presidents trophies in the weakest division in the league.

Can he change? Let's hope so or deja vu will set in around this time next year.

Archived