#1 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

Story on NHL.com

According to a report, Boston Bruins starting goalie Tim Thomas may be contemplating taking off the 2012-13 season.
ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun reported Thursday night that Thomas was contemplating the idea of a sabbatical for next season.

According to the Boston Globe, who also reported the story, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli will comment Friday on the situation.

Thomas has one-year left on his current deal. The no-movement clause that is a part of the deal, however, expires July 1. Thomas carries a $5 million cap hit for 2012-13.

This latest report continues a strange year for the 38-year-old Thomas, who received criticism for skipping the team's visit to the White House to celebrate the team's 2011 Stanley Cup title. After the team was knocked out of this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs in a seven-game loss to Washington in the first round, the 38-year-old Thomas was non-committal about his future in Boston.

But, this decision, if true, would be even stranger. Thomas is in solid health this offseason, as opposed to last summer when hip surgery slowed his preparation for the season and put him in a position to have to win back the starting job during the 2010-11 season.
Plus, Thomas is coming off another strong campaign. He went 35-19-1 with a 2.36 GAA and a .920 save percentage during the regular season. In the playoffs, he had a 2.14 GAA and a .923 save percentage.
The Bruins also have to worry about Tuukka Rask, their backup goalie who is ready to take on a bigger role. Rask becomes a restricted free agent on July 1, but the Bruins have every intention of re-signing the No. 1 in waiting.
Rask went 11-8-3 with a 2.05 goals-against average and .929 save percentage this season, but did not play again after suffer a lower-body injury on March 3.

???
Who takes a season off at age 38? The guy probably has only a few seasons left in him, and most likely won't be a top goaltender in the league much longer. What a weirdo.

#2 C.Jung

C.Jung

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

Maybe he's dealing with personal issues, maybe family issues?

Maybe the passion and drive isn't there anymore?

It could be any reason, not need to label him a weirdo is there?

#3 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

Luongo for Chara ::D
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#4 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

Maybe he's dealing with personal issues, maybe family issues?

Maybe the passion and drive isn't there anymore?

It could be any reason, not need to label him a weirdo is there?

Maybe he has a good reason, maybe he is a weirdo, maybe it's both.

Regardless of that, I have other reasons to call him a weirdo after all his shenanigans this season.

#5 C.Jung

C.Jung

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

Maybe he has a good reason, maybe he is a weirdo, maybe it's both.

Regardless of that, I have other reasons to call him a weirdo after all his shenanigans this season.

I just think we should wait until the real reason comes out, or when it's actually confirmed by the team/Thomas.

Well at least you didn't call him classless. That's a win right there. ;)

Edited by C.Jung, 01 June 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#6 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

I guess it's finally time for Tuuka Rask to get his oppurtunity. If I were Thomas I'd just retire though... Why take a year off at age 38? Seems pointless. Retire now, you have your Stanley Cup anyway..
Posted Image

#7 Bieksasangryface

Bieksasangryface

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

POPULAR

Maybe he just needs his tires pumped up?

#8 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

Seems odd to be taking a year off at 38 years old when every year now could be his last already.

Posted Image

#9 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

POPULAR

He couldn't do this last year ? :(
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#10 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

http://espn.go.com/b...rade-tim-thomas

A source close to Thomas later confirmed his thinking to ESPNBoston.com and also said that Thomas had brought this idea up on more than one occasion over the course of the 2011-12 season. The source also said that Thomas moved his family to Colorado last fall because he wants to live there when he retires, and the motive behind taking a season off would be to train there for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Thomas was a member of the 2010 U.S. Olympic hockey team.

But to me, that reason seems to be bull. He's probably trying to put a hold on the trade rumors going around on him. He'd be exposed on a team that doesn't insulate their goaltenders like Boston does.

#11 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

POPULAR

Meh, I don't see what the big deal is....

...about half of the Flames' roster took last season off....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#12 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

POPULAR

Mitt Romney's running-mate?

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#13 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

POPULAR

Tim Thomas is a ???? loser, he supports Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck...... enough said.

#14 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Maybe he just needs his tires pumped up?

Posted Image

#15 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

A 40 year old guy coming back after a year off? That isnt realistic.

#16 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,202 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

"Buh-bye, Hall of Fame!"

Who am i kidding. Most Bruins get in the hall. But maybe these strange actions will sour the impression they have on him. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#17 S.Mouse!

S.Mouse!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

Here's some tweets from Kevin Dupont of the Boston Globe...

Chiarelli just addressed the media in Boston.

Kevin Paul Dupont@GlobeKPD
During conference call just completed, Chiarelli makes it sound a fait accompli that Thomas will not play in '12-'13.

Kevin Paul Dupont@GlobeKPD
Acc. Chiarelli, Thomas' top reasons for likely sitting out: 1. family; 2. fatigue. Thomas did not request contract ext.

No. 3 fits. RT @TSNBobMcKenzie @TheBruinsBlog Suspended, retired, abducted by aliens, doesn't matter. Counts against cap no matter what.

I love the idea of $5 million in cap space being wasted on a player who will be sitting at home all year...

Edited by S.Mouse!, 01 June 2012 - 12:52 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

I can't even comprehend some of the things this guy does.
Posted Image

#19 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

I love the idea of $5 million in cap space being wasted on a player who will be sitting at home all year...

Ya, that is horrifying for Boston...

I wonder what the cap ramifications would be if they traded him and he refused to report or decided to "take a year off" from hiw new team.

I bet some cap floor team would love to have a $5 million cap hit that they don't have to pay actual cash out for. If Thomas is playing a game where he wants to not get moved, this could backfire as he would look even more attractive to a sucky team in that regard.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#20 C.Jung

C.Jung

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

I wonder how different the reaction would be here if it were one of the Sedins or Burrows taking a year off and citing family as the reason.

I know, I'm asking way too much from CDC.

#21 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

He's won everything. What does he have to play for exactly aside from a paycheque which he doesn't need either.
Posted Image

#22 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

I wonder how different the reaction would be here if it were one of the Sedins or Burrows taking a year off and citing family as the reason.

I know, I'm asking way too much from CDC.

If it was some sort of specific family issue like an illness... but if they signed a contract that we couldn't get out of the cap hit for and then decided to take time off because they felt like it... I would still be very pissed.

Thomas is clearly ticked because he isn't the #1, if he really cared about his team he would have kept this private and let his GM arrange a trade to a team that needs a cap hit without spending cash. It is too early after the season for him to have done this and us not know about it.

Combine this with all the other stuff that has leaked out about him going rogue on his team and it adds up to the guy being a 1st class jerk.

#23 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

He's not going to be starting in Sochi. Quick and Schneider are the 1-2 punch for USA.

#24 C.Jung

C.Jung

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

If it was some sort of specific family issue like an illness... but if they signed a contract that we couldn't get out of the cap hit for and then decided to take time off because they felt like it... I would still be very pissed.

Thomas is clearly ticked because he isn't the #1, if he really cared about his team he would have kept this private and let his GM arrange a trade to a team that needs a cap hit without spending cash. It is too early after the season for him to have done this and us not know about it.

Combine this with all the other stuff that has leaked out about him going rogue on his team and it adds up to the guy being a 1st class jerk.

I didn't know you were so close to the Thomas family, glad you have the inside info.

Assumptions galore!!!

#25 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

POPULAR

I didn't know you were so close to the Thomas family, glad you have the inside info.

Assumptions galore!!!

Thomas has shown a pattern of putting his personal life and opinions before his team, this is simply the most recent event. It's not hard to see why people are making those assumptions.

You think people would handle it better it this were a Canuck? Everyone would be flipping out. There would be 30 threads on it in Canucks Talk.

#26 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

Assumptions galore!!!

I am basing my "assumptions" on what has been said by the Boston Bruins and Tim Thomas publicly.

The Boston Bruins confirmed on Friday that goaltender Tim Thomas is seriously considering taking next season off from hockey to spend more time with his family.
"Tim came to me toward the beginning of May through his agent," Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli explained to reporters on a conference call. "And said he is seriously considering taking year off."

Also it is pretty easy to read into how their relationship is that they are communicating through his agent and not directly. That is VERY telling.

Did you hear MG say "I will be talking with Roberto's agent to see how his client feels"? If you are not on direct speaking terms with one of your star players for such a momentous decision like this, it is bad news.

Edited by Provost, 01 June 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#27 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

I just think we should wait until the real reason comes out, or when it's actually confirmed by the team/Thomas.

Well at least you didn't call him classless. That's a win right there. ;)

Nah. I think we ought to speculate. That's more fun than waiting . . . or worse, making smug, sanctimonious comments.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#28 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

He's not going to be starting in Sochi. Quick and Schneider are the 1-2 punch for USA.

USA definitely has the best trio going in.

Quick, Schneider, Howard, Miller; any 3.
Posted Image

#29 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

Anyone surprised? Heck, anyone disappointed he's taking time off (if he does)? I'm sure most shooters and crease-crashers wouldn't mind it, plus with his history of weird antics and pulling out of things (e.g. the White House visit) and going his own way, this action fits in pretty well.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#30 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

Can Boston put him on waivers if he refuses to play next season? And then if so, assuming he won't get picked up by anyone, if he refuses to report to the B's AHL affiliate would that mean he could be suspended by the team and the Bruins wouldn't have his contract count against the cap?

It seems like a weird scenario that retired players would still count against the cap. Anyone know the purpose/intent of this rule?

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.