The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cup final ratings a disaster!

Floating blue line, illegal defense rule like NBA, 3pts for a 4 goal regulation win and increase net size by 6" wide and high.

23 shot games with 6 scoring chances are sucking the life out of what could be the fastest most exciting sport in the world.

The NHL needs to get serious about it's product. Goalies have become too dominant IMO with lightweight oversized equipment. The balance needs to be swayed and the nets need to become bigger or the pads need to become smaller plain and simple. 95% save percentages are just plain rediculous.

Floating blue line like ball hockey would make PP's deadly , increase possession and increase scoring chances as well as provide more room for players without increased ice surfaces (which would be my preference)

Illegal Defense calls needs to be implemented. Forwards sucking back to the hash marks is not only taking away grade A chances while defending but reducing the chances of break aways and rushes from a teams own zone.

I only say 3 pts for a 4 goal win because it encourages entertainment value during the regular season. Coaches with defensive game plans would be more likely to miss playoffs thus raising the odds of getting fired. Could make for some real barn burners at the end of season as teams try to make the playoffs. Not like the current system is anything special. Play for a tie THEN play 4 on 4 with in a lot of cases almost as many chances as the 1st 60 min. Then get as much value ( 1 pt ) in a shoot out as 65 minutes of actual hockey.......Dumb!

Or we can do NOTHING but ask the refs to make more subjectional calls and the analysts can talk about how they "missed that one" but "called that one". We can continue the art of plugging up neutral zones. Put all 5 in the house defending blocking shots. Continue dumping in dumping out waiting for that elusive BOUNCE or mistake they need. We can continue Coaching our development leagues the same as we no these methods will produce better RESULTS not better talent.

Kudos to the Kings and whoever is winning currently , but the hockey I have witnessed this season needs some radical change.

As a goalie, I can't agree with the posters suggesting to heighten the nets by 6 inches. I do think, however, that contemporary goalie gear shouldn't be so oversized - there's gotta be tighter regulations on the size of padding.

I just got a pair of RBK 8K's after using a pair of Eagle's from 1997 for 4 years, I feel like a marshmallow man in them.

As a goalie, I can't agree with the posters suggesting to heighten the nets by 6 inches. I do think, however, that contemporary goalie gear shouldn't be so oversized - there's gotta be tighter regulations on the size of padding.

I just got a pair of RBK 8K's after using a pair of Eagle's from 1997 for 4 years, I feel like a marshmallow man in them.

You like watching trash defense and goaltending? You like watching teams that can't play a well structured game win the cup?

Those teams don't deserve to win the cup. Teams who are the best overall deserve the cup and right now that's the LA Kings.

Come back when you understand the game a bit more.

Look at the NHL page on Facebook. So many people are complaining they can't watch the game because they have to purchase the channel or something like that. It's not broadcast locally/nationally, whatever.

"Shame on you NHL for contracting with NBC and allowing them to push Stanley Cup games 3 & 4 off broadcast TV and onto their cable network. Next year, think about switching networks to someone who will honor the sport and show all the championship games! Somehow, i don't think the MLB or NBA would stand to be pushed aside onto cable to make room for filthy reality programming. This is not helping your viewership and fanbase any."

Many posts stating basically the same thing.

I will be watching tonight. First game of the Finals. So disinterested in the playoffs this year as none of the teams excite me. I miss Finals that included Detroit/Pitt, Chicago/Philly, Vancouver/Boston.

Quick being a Conn Smythe candidate has little to do with the low ratings. The total shots per game in this cup finals, compared to all the post lockout ones are done by as high as 20 shots, and on avg of 10 shots per game. All this obstruction is preventing open ice, which takes away scoring chances.

Scoring chances in this playoffs(if you take away the Philly/Pit series) is down 40% from any previous playoffs(post-lockout). This is ALL because the NHL started allowing"clutching and grabbing" since around Feb, when Shannahan commented the game was "too fast".

Can anyone name a sport that has ever had a HUGE rule change that happened mid way through a season? No! The NHL is the only league ever just to stop calling certain rules at a mark of the season.

Scoring chances in this playoffs(if you take away the Philly/Pit series) is down 40% from any previous playoffs(post-lockout). This is ALL because the NHL started allowing"clutching and grabbing" since around Feb, when Shannahan commented the game was "too fast".

Most people don't care about LA or NJ, it's no surprise the ratings are crap. If this league really is a conspiracy, maybe Bettman should think of putting bigger fanbase teams in the finals. :P

Could you imagine a final between Vancouver and Montreal? The ratings would be insane!

I hope goalie equipment isn't reduced. I just bought my first chest protector and goalie shorts :(.

Will admit though, after looking in the mirror for the first time wearing all my equipement, I was surprised how much bigger I looked!!!

NOW THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

Finally, another poster on this board realizes just how drastic the changes need to be in order to fix this game,

It's these kinds of rules that the NHL need to impliment ASAP. No more screwing around, DO IT!

+ 1 to you!

Minus about a million to both of you, the NHL got into this mess because of too many stupid rule changes, everytime you change the rules its like a butterfly effect, it causes more problems, then more rule changes are made trying to fix the problems the first rule change caused, little Napoleon tried to fix something that wasn't broken and made things worse. You make rule changes to promote offense, the coaches will focus all their energy on defenses to beat it.

The root of the problem is over expansion, we need to let about six teams of dead wood die off, that would reduce hooking and holding by removing about 120 of the weakest skaters from the league.

Archived