The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] London 2012 Olympics Thread

UMB

I love the people who point out that rule are ignoring how Hope Solo commuted that same foul 5 times in the game. They also Ignore the American handball in the PK area 2 min before they tied it, and ignore that in US's first goal their player pushed our defensive player into out goalie, leaving her not capable of playing them ball. Now is that rule called often? No, but it is sure as hell called more than a keeper holding onto a ball.

The rules changed at various times of the game. The reffing stunk. Something was up. When has anyone ever heard of a Canadian player accusing a ref of fixing?! NEVER, yet the entire team after the game accused the ref of it.

I made a point on the other thread regarding the tying goal.

Since there was so much time left in the game, an extra few seconds held by the goaltending with 14 minutes left would have made no difference in the game. It would be different if it was the last minute and the goaltender was trying to kill time. Yes, the could be justified but not with so much time left.

While there is such a rule in the rulebook, it is still a judgement call. Why the ref chose that time to call that penalty is beyond me because all goaltenders do it.

There is video proof of Hope Solo holding the ball for longer in the same game. Also why was a handball not called against the 'States and called against us?

People are complain b/c there were several bad calls, not just one. First US goal should not have counted either. The US player pushed the Canadian into the net which effected the goalie not being able to get to the ball.

#CanadaWasRobbed trended in the UK, and in Australia, I am thinking they know more about footy than the people saying the 'ref was not a factor'.

Leroux was with UCLA from 2008-2011 and is now with the Sounders organization. She chose American....so what? Everyone has their own motivations. I'm not going to hold it against her....I'd just look bitter and whiney that way. ;)

I disagree. She developed through the Canadian system AND represented Canada internationally prior to switching to the USWNT. If she has dual citizenship...fine, go play for the other country, but don't do it after representing Canada first. It just shouldn't be allowed. As far as I know neither KK nor Sess had never represented the States prior to representing Canada.

For everyone complaining about dual citizenship, the athlete often chooses where they have the greatest opportunity of victory. Therefore, most hockey players choose Canada and most Soccer players choose U.S.A. because they're are supposed to be the better team. To bad they weren't today and won because of the reds.

For everyone complaining about dual citizenship, the athlete often chooses where they have the greatest opportunity of victory. Therefore, most hockey players choose Canada and most Soccer players choose U.S.A. because they're are supposed to be the better team. To bad they weren't today and won because of the reds.

First chance today to vent about this. I'm still steaming. With the Norwegian ref laughing in their faces about calling the Delay of Game on the goalie, which is never made, is despicable. The subsequent hand ball call was ludicrous. There was no way the player(s) could have got their arm out of the way of a direct shot like that.

It sucks when a team has to play against the other team AND the ref. Don't know if anyone else saw the water polo match between China and Australia. The play-by-play guys were appalled by the one-sided reffing. Three times the amount of penalties called on the Aussies, with Chinese players flailing about whenever an Aussie got close. All 4 of Australia's top players got kicked out because of multiple penalties. Because of the reffing, the Aussies with a 4 - 0 record were neck and neck all game long with the 0 - 4 Chinese. Lucky for them, they barely won, and the ref was defeated.

I was so hoping that the Canadian women could have done the same. I hope this isn't the last Olympics for Sinclair. But they made us proud today no matter what.

Win the bronze for Sinclair. Please... She desreves it so much, just like Steve Nash deserves an olyempic medal and NBA chmampionship but is forever stuck on a crapty ass team

Well, that was a heart-breaker for sure, definitely feel like Canada got jobbed on those calls, but we can't really say for sure they would have won.. I just hope the Canadians can shake this off and re-focus in time for the bronze medal match. Nothing would be worse than going home with 4th place.

Speaking of Canada getting jobbed, anyone else watch the synchronized swimming duet preliminaries today? I might be the only person on this forum that cares (mostly because I was a synchronized swimmer for 10 years...) but it's very clear that sport still hasn't worked out its judging issues. Spain and Canada's routines were both clearly superior to China's and yet China still sits second (no argument on Russia being first, they're in a league of their own.) Unfortunately it's still very much a reputation based sport and they seem to be scoring routines based on their ranking coming in to the Olympics. Even more unfortunate is fact that the judging may never get fixed given that it's not a high profile sport like figure skating or gymnastics and thus no one is going to raise a stink about it. Despite my connection to the sport, stuff like this (along with the fact that there's still no male representation) makes me question whether it belongs in the Olympics.

Archived