The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Bold Moves" - Is Gillis actually capable of making them?

DeNiro

TO CAROLINA:

Kirk McLean and Martin Gelinas

TO VANCOUVER:

Sean Burke, Geoff Sanderson and Enrico Ciccone

-

TO BUFFALO:

Geoff Sanderson

TO VANCOUVER:

Brad May

-

TO NEW YORK ISLANDERS:

Trevor Linden

TO VANCOUVER:

Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe, 3rd Round Pick(Jarkko Ruutu)

-

TO PHILADELPHIA:

Dave Babych, 5th Round Pick(Garrett Prosofsky)

TO VANCOUVER:

3rd Round Pick(Justin Morrison)

-

TO NEW YORK ISLANDERS:

Gino Odjick

TO VANCOUVER CANUCKS:

Jason Strudwick

-

TO PHILADELPHIA:

Sean Burke

TO VANCOUVER:

Garth Snow

-

TO NEW YORK RANGERS:

Russ Courtnall

Esa Tikkanen

TO VANCOUVER:

Sergei Nemchinov

Brian Noonan

-

TO VANCOUVER:

Trent Klatt

TO PHILADELPHIA:

6TH Round Pick

Messier had the C before Keenen got here.

Over all I don't hate any of the deals he made, the Babych trade sticks out as his worst, but most of those I would do again.

Sanderson for May? every day of the week.

Tikkenen for a bag of pucks , yup

McLean for Buirke, 2 struggling goalies that continued to struggle- meh

I'm not talking about just any signing, trade, or re-signing, I'm talking about the BIG move. The one that says that we're going for it all this year no matter what? Every move he's made so far has been pretty safe.

Think on the same lines as trading for Pronger, Richards, Horton, or signing Hossa. He hasn't made a move on that level yet. The blockbuster type deal.

You mean the guy who made the bold move of trading Federov for Beachamin, signing Niedermeyer to a 4 year 27 million dollar contract, trading some spare parts for Pronger, and firing Babcock and hiring Carlyle?

Seems like that worked out pretty good for him.

Gillis has the opporunity to make moves like that with Weber or Suter. Time will tell if he can make those bold moves or not.

I am new to hockey so I was hoping you could explain things to me. First, how can you be a Bruins fan and a Canucks fan? Second, what exactly does goalie graveyard mean? I hear lots of people using the term and it sounds really stupid. I'll explain that to you after you respond.

Well, in his defense with Ballard -- he was one of the better defensive defensemen in the league in the top 15 or 30 with hits and blocks every season prior to coming to Vancouver, with 30 points to boot. I think it's fair to say coming to Vancouver killed his career like going to NY killed Redden, Drury and Gomez careers. There's no way to know that a players career is going to fall off the face of the planet by switching teams

That was out of neccesity though. Hodgson and his camp wanted out. If he was happy here, he wouldn't have been traded.

And as far as Kassian being considered a plug, people who say that know nothing about him.

I wouldn't consider a rookie for rookie trade really that bold. I'm talking about landing the big name free agent at all costs, or packaging half of the farm for that legit gamebreaker. That type of thing.

Archived