The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Bold Moves" - Is Gillis actually capable of making them?

DeNiro

Gillis likes those surprise attacks, I think he enjoys giving us heart attacks.

When everything is quiet he comes in and drops an Atomic Bomb on all our asses.

David Booth Trade

Kassian Trade

Mats Sundin - Massive signing

Keith Ballard for Grabner at the 2010 draft

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gillis drop another bomb on us on Friday.

That was out of neccesity though. Hodgson and his camp wanted out. If he was happy here, he wouldn't have been traded.

And as far as Kassian being considered a plug, people who say that know nothing about him.

I wouldn't consider a rookie for rookie trade really that bold. I'm talking about landing the big name free agent at all costs, or packaging half of the farm for that legit gamebreaker. That type of thing.

There was no necessity in trading Hodgson. He was under contract. A good management team would address the discontent. Perhaps trading him was the right thing to do. Perhaps Kassian will turn out to be a great player. But don't blame Hodgson -- blame the management that couldn't deal with a rookie with a fat head (and bad advisors) -- is that was the situation.

Well I will say one thing for sure, Gillis's only option for a bold move is in the UFA market, even then when we are talking about greedy "star" type players looking at roster with not much room to move up... Gillis is in tough. Can't even sell the cup carrot very hard.

Nobody wants to help us get any better, even though we missed our cup shot, we still are the team to beat. Gillis's hands are pretty much tied when negotiating with other teams unless we are trading futures for guys like Ballard.

So in a sense no Gillis is not capable of making a bold move, but it's not due to him not wanting to.

Time will if I'm wrong tho.

Well I will say one thing for sure, Gillis's only option for a bold move is in the UFA market, even then when we are talking about greedy "star" type players looking at roster with not much room to move up... Gillis is in tough. Can't even sell the cup carrot very hard.

Nobody wants to help us get any better, even though we missed our cup shot, we still are the team to beat. Gillis's hands are pretty much tied when negotiating with other teams unless we are trading futures for guys like Ballard.

So in a sense no Gillis is not capable of making a bold move, but it's not due to him not wanting to.

Time will if I'm wrong tho.

I think you have nailed it.

The only thing I would say is that this year is different. I think he may have had his confidence shaken somewhat, with some sources questioning whether he AND AV were going to get it done. This may spur him into one or maybe two big surprise and bold moves.

I only know that is certainly how I would be thinking after the last 2 seasons. He has aligned himself with AV's style and he must see with that style and the players we have we are coming up short. The answer, bring in a couple of big bad and skilful new bodies.

I'm not talking about just any signing, trade, or re-signing, I'm talking about the BIG move. The one that says that we're going for it all this year no matter what? Every move he's made so far has been pretty safe.

Think on the same lines as trading for Pronger, Richards, Horton, or signing Hossa. He hasn't made a move on that level yet. The blockbuster type deal.

I agree, but as I say above I think this season may be different because he knows his time is running out and even if he does some bold moves this season it may be another season before they can blend into the team. I think we will see some wows.......no doubt.

My main beef with the team is although they are all great hockey players, there is too many of the same size and the same type. We need a couple of game changers up front and a bone shaking D. I have my doubts now whether a team of the Canucks size will ever win a war of attrition that is the SC Playoffs................we got to game 7 and we paid the price. I didn't see Boston or LA take a line at the A&E at the end of the Finals.

He absolutely better! :emot-parrot:

He got us soooo close, and each move since has been either an incomplete move (Booth) or has fallen apart!

Booth is incomplete because he adds a new dimension of brute athleticism, but also took Samuelsson (the glue guy who added size, shooting skills, puck control, and passing to the line) away. And Booth really replaced Raymond as a more athletic speed guy but, again, but was traded for Sammy. He will only be a success (as will Kesler) once we either shuffle the lines or make another move.

Gillis likes those surprise attacks, I think he enjoys giving us heart attacks.

When everything is quiet he comes in and drops an Atomic Bomb on all our asses.

David Booth Trade

Kassian Trade

Mats Sundin - Massive signing

Keith Ballard for Grabner at the 2010 draft

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gillis drop another bomb on us on Friday.

Booth is incomplete because he adds a new dimension of brute athleticism, but also took Samuelsson (the glue guy who added size, shooting skills, puck control, and passing to the line) away. And Booth really replaced Raymond as a more athletic speed guy but, again, but was traded for Sammy. He will only be a success (as will Kesler) once we either shuffle the lines or make another move.

I think you have nailed it.

The only thing I would say is that this year is different. I think he may have had his confidence shaken somewhat, with some sources questioning whether he AND AV were going to get it done. This may spur him into one or maybe two big surprise and bold moves.

I only know that is certainly how I would be thinking after the last 2 seasons. He has aligned himself with AV's style and he must see with that style and the players we have we are coming up short. The answer, bring in a couple of big bad and skilful new bodies.

Archived