The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Bold Moves" - Is Gillis actually capable of making them?

DeNiro

The big wow move was the Hodgson one last year, that caught everyone off guard, but more wow for what we gave up then what we were getting.

The Sundin sign was more wow :picard: what are you thinking? Bad mistake.

The Ballard trade was kind of a wow really? I thought we gave way to much for that trade when it actually happened and still do.

The Booth trade was more of a reaction of oh ok good Samuelsson is gone and Sturm, and we got a younger player who has the capability to achieve everything Samuelson did and better good trade I think.

Singing Hamhuis I'll give him credit for a bold signing and a good one.

I gave him credit also for signing Ehrhoff and thought that he was a very good acquisition.

Not resigning Willie Mitchell is one I was pissed about from the day I heard, they weren't going to resign him, HUGE MISTAKE.

Not a big fan of giving older Veteran try outs with the club every year, who can't even make a crap teams try outs, but some how makes a number #1 teams try out. Then they some how make the roster, washed up players MG hopes will turn into their old prime when clearly they wont, give it up already.

So overall the Bold would be the Hodgson trade and Ehrhoff and Hamhuis, I think.

The big wow move was the Hodgson one last year, that caught everyone off guard, but more wow for what we gave up then what we were getting.

The Sundin sign was more wow :picard: what are you thinking? Bad mistake.

The Ballard trade was kind of a wow really? I thought we gave way to much for that trade when it actually happened and still do.

The Booth trade was more of a reaction of oh ok good Samuelsson is gone and Sturm, and we got a younger player who has the capability to achieve everything Samuelson did and better good trade I think.

Singing Hamhuis I'll give him credit for a bold signing and a good one.

I gave him credit also for signing Ehrhoff and thought that he was a very good acquisition.

Not resigning Willie Mitchell is one I was pissed about from the day I heard, they weren't going to resign him, HUGE MISTAKE.

Not a big fan of giving older Veteran try outs with the club every year, who can't even make a crap teams try outs, but some how makes a number #1 teams try out. Then they some how make the roster, washed up players MG hopes will turn into their old prime when clearly they wont, give it up already.

So overall the Bold would be the Hodgson trade and Ehrhoff and Hamhuis, I think.

bold moves are moves like what the Flyers did last offseason, if Gillis trades Kesler or the Sedins or Edler these would be bold moves, trading Hodgson is boarder line considering the big reason why he was trade. Changing our system was a bold move by Gillis but he hasn't done any bold moves around the core of the team.... none.

In all honesty, Gillis is not a very good GM.

Look at all the problems the Canucks have at this moment. All of them are because of Gillis' acquisitions.

Booth sucks, what the hell do we do with him?

Luongo has a 12 year contract, nobody wants to take on the burden.

Cody Hodgson traded for a guy that needs 2-3 years in the AHL, and Kesler's injured.

Ballard is not worth his contract, wasting up cap space.

Malhotra is not what he used to be, now we need to find a 3rd line C. (I guess this one isn't Gillis' fault, but yeah)

Nonis will still be the main reason we win the cup. (If we do win the cup, that is..)

Bold or pressured with hodgson? Personally, i dont think it was a bad deal ........yet. Kassian was ranked as the 13th best prospect Drafted in the nhl ..... THN reported that number. Cody wanted out and could have been a distraction. His value was high so i think MG got you and size with tremendous upside potential. Only time will Will validate or magnify the impact of this deal.

One has to remember Gillis can want to make a bold move. The question is what we offer another team would the other GM be willing to complete the deal?

Honestly, I think having an ex-agent as a GM still rubs other GM's the wrong way. Maybe not guys like Snow and Yzerman who were once players themselves. But old school GM's might really be not wanting to make a deal. Add to the fact there's an owner in Dallas who probably has told his GM never to trade with the Canucks unless it's an insane steal for them.

I didn't say Gillis built this core. Neither did Nonis. But praise Burke and Nonis all day long, the team did NOTHING with them in charge. In fact, they were absolute failures year after year.

Dave Nonis' biggest legacy will be similar to Messier's: live in Pt Roberts to avoid CDN taxes despite being CDN and earning your money in Canada. Nonis' apparently stellar GMship will never get him another job. He is a piggy backer who got lucky on a deal that ANYONE would have made.

those core guys were still developing and were all from Burke and DN, hell Kesler was around 22 years old when DN was canned, Edler 21 years old, Sedins were 26, same with Burrows and Bieksa, do you see why those guys might not of been the players they have been the last few seasons?.... Sedins game jumped when Kesler was producing behind them and freed them up for all the offensive zone starts. It's a lot more of Gillis stepping in at the right time and he did make some good depth moves but the core of this team isn't a Gillis core it's a Burke/DN core.

Ahh, i get it. Nonis and Burke ran the team for a decade with nothing happening but when they leave we start winning and suddenly Dave Nonis built the team. For the children who are unaware, Nonis took over in 04 but really not until the lockout ended. He signed 15 guys who NEVER played a shift in the NHL after leaving Vancouver. His coup de grace was Luongo. Without that one deal, he was an utter failure. That is why NOBOBY has hired him to run their franchise,

No, it's not.

Age is a factor. Our core (Kesler notwithstanding) being in their 30s is a factor. Probably more susceptible to injury, fatigue, and just overall apathy. Burrows was a non-factor in the playoffs, which should be a pretty major concern for this team. The Sedin's weren't playing at their 2010/11 levels. When guys are in their 30s, and they're showing noticeable signs of slowing down, it's a concern.

Am I the only one that's old enough around here to remember how quickly guys like Naslund went from being all-NHL to 2nd-PP?

Ahh, i get it. Nonis and Burke ran the team for a decade with nothing happening but when they leave we start winning and suddenly Dave Nonis built the team. For the children who are unaware, Nonis took over in 04 but really not until the lockout ended. He signed 15 guys who NEVER played a shift in the NHL after leaving Vancouver. His coup de grace was Luongo. Without that one deal, he was an utter failure. That is why NOBOBY has hired him to run their franchise,

Archived