The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jensen to play in Sweden if he doesn't make the Canucks roster

nd84

Love the kid's attitude. Seems devoted to be a better player.

He could choose to stay in Oshawa another year, light it up, get tons of individual accolades, score lots of chicks, be a man amongst boys in his 3rd season.

Instead, he takes off for Sweden where he can really learn to develop a two-way game and will have to really push himself to get ice-time.

I guess the $ playing over there doesn't hurt either. Don't think the per diem in the OHL is anything to scream about.

Yeah I thought this too. I thought last year that he looked pretty good camp as an 18 year old and they gave him a long look.

Obviously you don't rush prospects but having said that if he earns a spot he earns it and i think he might actually be ready. I'm looking forward to camp this year because Jensen and a few other guys will be challenging for spots, especially on D. But if he's not ready, Sweden is the best place for him to play no question.

I Believe Nicklas himself said that he rather play within a system and smarter guys than "boys" and the SEL will give him that option; thus creating better learnererings than the OHL.

Not checking his stats but wasn't he also PPG in his first OHL season just like his second? And the irritation playing with people just not as interested in the game as you would kinda kill your hockey buzz bro. IMO him getting a taste of Pro hockey at the AHL lvl inspired him to do this.

I find this kind of odd actually its not like he dominated in junior last year. He had 58 points in 57 games and was tied for 3rd on his teams scoring. I don't think you can fault the CHL for not being competitive and setting up kids to perform at the next level considering its track record. I would have really liked to see him playing top minutes for Oshawa and scoring 40 goals, geting top PP and PK minutes then getting reduced time in the Swedish Elite League.

I find this kind of odd actually its not like he dominated in junior last year. He had 58 points in 57 games and was tied for 3rd on his teams scoring. I don't think you can fault the CHL for not being competitive and setting up kids to perform at the next level considering its track record. I would have really liked to see him playing top minutes for Oshawa and scoring 40 goals, geting top PP and PK minutes then getting reduced time in the Swedish Elite League.

I like that this option is available, and that Jensen and the Canucks are willing to go this route to increase the quality of competition.

However, the impression I have received from the SEL is that they don`t feed younger players the same amount and quality of minutes that the AHL does. What I mean by that is, they don`t play as many minutes, and don`t have a huge role. I know this is circumstantial to the player, and many young European players thrive in the SEL. (Also, I know that Jensen can`t go to the AHL) but it is a worry I have.

I appreciate the positivity that people display about this move, I`m just wondering if Jensen will receive the kind of minutes we want him to over there. It`s almost a certainty that he would be getting prime minutes in the OHL (albeit against lesser competition), and that he would excel. I just don`t want him to be relegated to playing minimal minutes.

Playing the the SEL didn`t hurt Anton Rodin any, so I can`t imagine it will hurt Jensen. As long as he gets played, and plays well I`ll be happy (cause it`s clearly all about me)

With all that said, playing pro > OHL

Archived