Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Report] Jensen to play in Sweden if he doesn't make the Canucks roster

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#91 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

Grenier did it first..

Except Alexandre Grenier is no longer junior eligible and would be buried in the ECHL next year.

Posted Image

#92 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,557 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:27 AM

SEL > AHL

that's debatable, as t depends on the player's situation. however the argument is moot, since the AHL isn't an option for Jensen this season.

#93 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

Good for him, I like this idea if he doesn't make the big club this year.

Posted Image

#94 Echo Park

Echo Park

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

Yeah, playing in the Elite League also hurt Nicklas Bäckström, the Sedins, Peter Forsberg, Nicklas Lidström and Daniel Alfredson.

You're naming some of the best players that Sweden has ever produced. They were young phenoms and playing against (to the point of dominating, at times) men for a good reason. While Nicklas Jensen might be one of the better players Denmark has produced, I (and others may or may not agree) don't believe that he is quite the same caliber of player as the ones you mentioned. (Peter Forsberg is 4th all time in NHL career PPG - kind of a big deal). These players were munching more minutes than the cookie monster munched cookies during their time in the SEL. (Don't quote me on that, I don't know how ravenous the Cookie Monster was during that period).

What I'm saying is, he may play less than Canuck fans like. Will it benefit him in the long run? Who knows, he's going to be getting great experience just by being on a professional team, training with professional staff, and learning from talented, hardworking professional hockey players. It's really up to him to determine if this is a good move. I hope he excels and turns into the big, skilled winger that we want him to. Only time will tell.

I will guarantee you will want to punch puppies after being bombarded with utter stupidity for a whole year here.

http://echopark.bandcamp.com/

#95 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

If he signs with MODO, I guess having Pahlsson teaching him how to play defense, and Naslund teaching him how to improve on his offense wouldn't seem too bad of an idea. Having those two there sure does help offset the disadvantages of playing a full season on a bigger ice surface. He'd pretty much have these two to mentor him for the whole season =)

What is unclear to me is when the Swedish Elite league holds their playoffs. If it overlaps with the AHL playoffs, Jensen could miss some valuable AHL playoff experience (and it would suck for the Wolves not having him there as well).

#96 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,557 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

If he signs with MODO, I guess having Pahlsson teaching him how to play defense, and Naslund teaching him how to improve on his offense wouldn't seem too bad of an idea. Having those two there sure does help offset the disadvantages of playing a full season on a bigger ice surface. He'd pretty much have these two to mentor him for the whole season =)

What is unclear to me is when the Swedish Elite league holds their playoffs. If it overlaps with the AHL playoffs, Jensen could miss some valuable AHL playoff experience (and it would suck for the Wolves not having him there as well).

they are always done well before everyone else. (april 19 this year)

#97 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

If he plays for MODO, then Nazzy will take care of him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he signs there just because of the multiple connections between us and them.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#98 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

SEL > AHL

How so? First off, it certainly doesn't mirror the NHL. Big ice, less contact, trapping, far easier schedule. Good job though on naming a few elite players as evidence of something.

I'd say the AHL is the 2nd best league in the world. You can disagree. However, for Jensen at this point perhaps playing pro in Sweden is better. Or not. We'll find out.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#99 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,557 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

How so? First off, it certainly doesn't mirror the NHL. Big ice, less contact, trapping, far easier schedule. Good job though on naming a few elite players as evidence of something.

I'd say the AHL is the 2nd best league in the world. You can disagree. However, for Jensen at this point perhaps playing pro in Sweden is better. Or not. We'll find out.

one could make arguments either way, the AHL is more similar to the NHL, less room, bigger hits, more goons, etc. while the talent level as a whole is higher in the SEL, and players learn to develop their skilled play more. the quality level of hockey in the SEL>AHL, but the AHL is a better analogue to the NHL.

#100 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

Good, since he can only go back to the OHL and not end up in the AHL, Sweden is the next best option.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#101 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

one could make arguments either way, the AHL is more similar to the NHL, less room, bigger hits, more goons, etc. while the talent level as a whole is higher in the SEL, and players learn to develop their skilled play more. the quality level of hockey in the SEL>AHL, but the AHL is a better analogue to the NHL.

I'll lovingly disagree with the quality level being higher in the SEL.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#102 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,557 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

I'll lovingly disagree with the quality level being higher in the SEL.

and that's you opinion and you're allowed to have it,

no matter how wrong it is ;)

#103 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Jensen was an absolute steal at 29 last year. The big Dane has the makings of a Marian Hossa type player for the Canucks. The fact he may play in SEL next season shows just how close he is to being on the big club.

Scouts skill analysis of Jensen: "He’s a long strider who covers a lot of ground with a powerful push, but needs to keep the feet moving. He can really rip it, too- scores more than a few goals from the outside with laser release and ability to pick corners. So, while he brings some real impressive talents and abilities to the mix, Jensen has to keep his compete levels at a higher level. How far will he drop in the draft? Our guess is not too far past 20 if at all because he is such a talented player that a team is likely going to believe they can reach and keep motivated…If Boone Jenner’s motor was installed inside this kid, he’d be a top-three pick- no kidding. Big upside with this one, but some bust potential as well.”

CSS broke the 2011 Draft down:
An extensive selection of dynamic, two-way centremen and game-controlling defenceman has forecasted a striking tale for the upcoming NHL Entry Draft.

Naturally, those positions are only a portion of the roster puzzle. The 2011 class is deep with skill in all areas.

While Gabriel Landeskog and Sven Baertschi have nabbed attention on the wing, several others will make their name known as the opening round progresses later in June. Teams with late-round picks will have an incredible opportunity to select elite-level talent.

That's right Canuck fans get ready to enjoy a prospect not named Cody Hodgson who will very soon be making a big impact in the NHL.

#104 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

Hahahahah, are you seriously saying that the AHL is the second best league in the world???

No. No. No. NO!

You're wrong! It's like the fourth best league, at best. Team Russia that dominated the WC was built around KHL players. All Swedish teams (apart from Olympic teams) have been built around Elitserien-players.

The question wether Jensen will benefit from playing in Elitserien more than playing north American hockey is a total other question tho. European hockey rinks are much bigger, it's almost a different game. Elitserien teams are much more skilled than the team he'd play in if he played junior hockey in Canada as well, so he might get less ice time, but Elitserien is a much, much, much, better league than the one he'd play in if he stayed in north America.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.