The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] The Isles offered every pick they had in the draft for the 2nd overall pick

Obviously it wouldn't have worked exactly like this (players likely would have been different), but if CBJ did this trade, this is what they would have walked away with at the draft:

To NYI:

Ryan Murrary

To CBJ:

Griffin Reinhart (or Galchenyuk, a real solid centre, something CBJ does not have)

VILLE POKKA (Could also have had Matthew Fin)

ADAM PELECH

LOIC LEDUC

DOYLE SOMERBY

Etc.

What is even worse is that if CBJ (aka Howson) were crafty enough, they could have flipped their extra picks to address their many positional deficiencies.

Actually if you compare these picks to past drafts the trade isn't all that crazy. This would be like if in 2008 LA traded the 2nd overall pick (Doughty) to St. Louis for Pietrangelo (4th), Jake Allen (34th), Jori Lehtera (65), Johan Motin (103), Kristoffer Berglund (125), Antony Nigro (155) and Paul Karpowhich (185) or if you want an older example it would be like Hartford trading the chance to draft Pronger 2nd overall for Paul Kariya (4th), Lee Sorochan (35), Kryszlof Oliwa (65), Shawn Bates (103), Dion Darling (125), Milt Mastad (155), Ryan Nauss (185) Hartford would have clearly lost that second trade.

I would love to know what other GMs think of Howson and what he is like to deal with. The guy seems so incompetent. It must be frustrating for other GMs to deal with him at times because even when they offer a deal favourable to him, he rejects it.

Garth Snow probably did it on a bet. Was probably sitting around, having some beers with a few other GMs...

Snow- Hey Burkie, I bet you I can offer Howson all my drafts picks and he still won't trade down.

Burke *unbuttoningdoing his tie* You're on.

Well, it's not quite as ludacris as everyone is making it out to be. Yakupov and Murray were the consensus #1/2 and then there was everyone else. The difference between Murray and Reinhart was substantial. Of the remaining 6 picks, Columbus would be lucky to get one NHLer out of it.

Archived