The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Refuses to waive NTC

JustNazzy

If it were me,with a gazillion dollars in my bank account and a team that does not want me I would hold out to go where I want to go.

I would not be going to TO and I would not be going to Chicago if I could sign where I own a home and my wife and family live.

Luo gave his all here.

He did not wish to leave.

Let the man go in peace.

"Roberto Luongo is trying to take his talents to South Beach.

The Vancouver Canucks goaltender has refused to waive his no-trade clause for deals that would see him shipped to the Toronto Maple Leafs and Chicago Blackhawks, according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Post-Dispatch.

"Told by very good source #Canucks G Roberto Luongo has -- to this point -- declined to waive no-trade clause to go to #Blackhawks or #Leafs," Portzline tweeted Monday. "Luongo using the power of his no-trade to 'steer' a trade to #Panthers as much as possible at this point in off-season."

Canucks coach Alain Vigneault told TVA Sports in May that Luongo had requested a trade from the club.

The rise of backup Cory Schneider, who took over starting duties in net mid-way through Vancouver's first-round playoff series against the Los Angeles Kings -- a series the Canucks ended up losing -- this spring, has opened the door for such a deal.

Schneider is a pending restricted free agent while Luongo has 10 years left on a 12-year, $64-million contract."

http://www.torontosu...to-leafs-report

I would agree with this but it's come to a point where Luongo pretty much has to go now, Luongo was rumoured to want out during the season due to family issues and him wanting to be closer and be in the East. You can't trade a Schneider who wants to be here as the number 1 guy and keep Luongo who wants out to be in the East and closer to home. If Luongo was happy and wanted to stay here then I fully agree as Schneiders return right now would be HUGE to Luongo's return due to age and contract will be much less. You can't keep a guy in the locker room who doesn't want to be here no more, Gillis showed he'll do that with the Hodgson trade. At this point Schneider is the most untouchable on this team, imho.

I am pretty sure a no movement clause would stop MG from just sending him to the wolves and not sure ownership wants a 5.5 million dollar player in the AHL. That would also put him on waivers if you did send him down I believe and if he did get claimed ( which he would ) we can pay have his cap hit until he retires!!!! Great Idea

Appreciate a voice of reason here.

Ive always liked B-Macks approach to media fuelled speculation. I understand he really has the confidence of most NHL organizations with insider info, and he is generally logical about his own theories and speculation. Kind of suprised he hasnt ever moved deeper into the business side of Hockey.

That being said...im willing to bet MG has certainly been called about Lu, if only based on rampant rumours, only to be told that there really hasnt been any major scenarios drawn up between agent-player-management.

As far as i am concerned, the Lu situation is as it was from the start of all this: Lu stated that if the team wants to move him, he is game; Gillis has stated he wants Lu to stay and is in no rush to make sure no heavy emotions on either side make a hasty choice, but is on the phone listening...and of course Schnieds was predictably qualified.

Its pretty simple.

Everything else that has been tacked on to this near non-issue is comical speculation and silly armchair GM'ing.

If Luongo ends up staying in Van for next season, after this whole debacle is over.... I still suspect those "Luos" from the stands we usually hear, will have become genuine "boos." Gawd damn Luongo just couldn't put his ego aside and keep his mouth shut. If you ask me, he basically nailed his own coffin shut. :wacko:

Archived